Logan's Audio vid.

AraSarkisyan

I think it's pretty funny how all these people blindly follow the opinions of Youtubers. One minute they follow Linus, the next it's Logan. Not saying they're wrong, it's just funny. If you think your soundcard sounds better, good on you. You got what you wanted, but there's better gear out there and for most cases a sound card is unnecessary. I do however think the video that Mayflower and Logan made is far to generalised, but we'll see what comes with the next one...

Its was Luddite statues, but that was the point. Amusingly enough it offended people, which is more fun then educating them, not that they show any inclination to be educated. 

Im just going to say this, people will think im lying or whatever but it doesnt matter.

I just took out my STX to make room for another GPU ( done at the same approximate volume ) 
So i plugged my DT770 pro 250ohm in the onboard audio ( Asus Z87 Deluxe )

Bass is still pretty good (slightly less).
Mids i didnt notice a difference
Highs, there was a crackling sound, same as playing a low kbps mp3, not too much but noticeable and annoying 

And when doing the "Bass Shaker" in the link right below, there was a slight hiss which wasnt there with the stx. Also the "dynanimc range" ( i think is called ) it got to -56db below full scale( i think it said ( again from link below )), will test when i put the soundcard back in, and edit this post

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Now whether you believe me or not i dont really care, this is what i just noticed, also that it seemed a bit less "dynamic" going from silence to bass to silence and blabla seemed more muddy, as if the frequency gradually changed, rather than immediately change but that could just a placebo effect. 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Im just going to say this, people will think im lying or whatever but it doesnt matter.

I just took out my STX to make room for another GPU ( done at the same approximate volume ) 

Highs, there was a crackling sound, same as playing a low kbps mp3, not too much but noticeable and annoying 

And when doing the "Bass Shaker" in the link right below, there was a slight hiss which wasnt there with the stx. Also the "dynanimc range" ( i think is called ) it got to -56db below full scale( i think it said ( again from link below )), will test when i put the soundcard back in, and edit this post

Now whether you believe me or not i dont really care, this is what i just noticed, also that it seemed a bit less "dynamic" going from silence to bass to silence and blabla seemed more muddy, as if the frequency gradually changed, rather than immediately change but that could just a placebo effect.

Please change your avatar.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Please change your avatar.

I find that your avatar fully expresses your reaction, therefore my avatar is complimentary to yours, ill change mine if you change yours.

LOL jk no i wont

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

And you still got noise on the back ports? I have Z87x-UD3H and I get 0 noise (you cant even hear a hiss if you crank the volume to the max and not play anything) from the front/back ports, but again my case is clean and the cables are routed well.

No idea, using an external DAC at the moment, but it was not good; especially when the system was loaded (you could hear the hiss change when benchmarking or gaming). 

Also, you won't see a cable in my case  ;)

Like I said, maybe my board was crappy for it, but overclocking components created noise and a simple Xonar DG cleaned the sound.

Intel Core i7-5820k @ 4,6Ghz; Asus X99 Deluxe; GSkill Ripjaws 4 (4x4) 2400Mhz; MSi GTX 980 Reference @ 1.4Ghz; CM V700; Phanteks Enthoo Luxe; Windows 8.1 Pro

Wow finally someone gets it. 

Looking forward to your responses. If you can get someone to help you switch between on-board/stx that will eliminate the placebo effect.

@Vaub, a bit unlucky but I suppose whatever works. Glad you got it sorted.

Gigabyte z87x-ud3h \ Intel® Core™ i7-4770K \ Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB \ EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC \ Corsair CX750M \ Onboard sound (Alc898)

Wow finally someone gets it. 

Looking forward to your responses. If you can get someone to help you switch between on-board/stx that will eliminate the placebo effect.

Ill see if i can do it but for the crackling high's, hissing when playing deep bass was there with the onboard but not with the STX

As for music being more "vibrant" ill need to try and do a blind test.

But for that crackling sound alone its worth changing from onboard to something else. 

Ill see if i can do it but for the crackling high's, hissing when playing deep bass was there with the onboard but not with the STX

As for music being more "vibrant" ill need to try and do a blind test.

But for that crackling sound alone its worth changing from onboard to something else. 

What motherboard? 

Nevermind, I saw your spec sheet. I may be wrong here, and I'm way too lazy to look it up, but I believe that's one of the motherboards with a sound card built in. I should have said this in the video, but I should've said realtek onboard chipsets are what you should use. 

That also looks like an older motherboard (as it's an old chipset).

What motherboard? 

Nevermind, I saw your spec sheet. I may be wrong here, and I'm way too lazy to look it up, but I believe that's one of the motherboards with a sound card built in. I should have said this in the video, but I should've said realtek onboard chipsets are what you should use. 

That also looks like an older motherboard (as it's an old chipset).

Its latest gen,  its realtek ALC1150 i think

Its latest gen,  its realtek ALC1150 i think

Looking up that specific datasheet for that chip, it looks like that chip was released in July of this year, while that motherboard was released in sometime in April of 2010. I don't think that works.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC1150-CG_DataSheet_1.0.pdf

That's the datasheet for the ALC1150

There's a review of the motherboard, I'm assuming that's about when that motherboard came out.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/ASUS-Crosshair-IV-Formula-Motherboard/988

Looking up that specific datasheet for that chip, it looks like that chip was released in July of this year, while that motherboard was released in sometime in April of 2010. I don't think that works.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/datasheets/ALC1150-CG_DataSheet_1.0.pdf

That's the datasheet for the ALC1150

There's a review of the motherboard, I'm assuming that's about when that motherboard came out.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/ASUS-Crosshair-IV-Formula-Motherboard/988

nono this is the one i got

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ASUS-Z87-DELUXE-Motherboard/1787

ooooooooooooo

You should update your rig :P

haha it is updated! ( well not completely ) but the one in my sig has the new mobo and all that

haha it is updated! ( well not completely ) but the one in my sig has the new mobo and all that

That's weird though, you should have really good audio with that chip. 

Logan's video was full of BS? I don't think we were watching the same video, he even addresses why audio from a sound card is "worse" than on-board and even states that might not be the case all the time but is most of the time. So it's worse in the sense that it provides little to no extra value.

So to make you're life easier the take home message of Logan's video is: they are useless in the sense that they don't do the job of converting digital to analog any better than on-board.

That being said though, not all on-board audio is good, I've had a board *looking at you MSI* not to long ago who's on-board sounds like muddied shit.

Logan's video was full of BS? I don't think we were watching the same video, he even addresses why audio from a sound card is "worse" than on-board and even states that might not be the case all the time but is most of the time. So it's worse in the sense that it provides little to no extra value.

So to make you're life easier the take home message of Logan's video is: they are useless in the sense that they don't do the job of converting digital to analog any better than on-board.

That being said though, not all on-board audio is good, I've had a board *looking at you MSI* not to long ago who's on-board sounds like muddied shit.

Good show, but he isn't having it. 

well, implementation is everything, which is why I always say it CAN be better.  I'm not taking the blame for a mobo manufacturer's screwed up implementation of an onboard chip.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

And the lesson here is to choose your words carefully, because one minor slip and your entire argument gets thrown out without consideration.  Much like how people dismiss what you have to say because you used incorrect grammar or  the wrong your/you're.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't know, maybe because there a gpu right above it mining, causing some interference.

Will pause mining for a sec later today to test that. Only explanation I have for it

I personally have just purchased a pair of HD558s, and HD598s along with a FiiO E17 DAC. Now I'm no audiophile, but I will be seeing if I can notice a difference in sound qualities just by ear between onboard, and my DAC. It just makes sense to me to split the sound from the PC I guess.

#!

I uh... I like music and stuff... Am I in the wrong thread?

Joking aside, you guys are starting to sound a lot like Reddit. Calm down. Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese us!

I didn't even read all of this by the way, because seriously, who wants to read 8 pages of arguing? Not me.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

Another person gets it. What a wonderful day!

I uh... I like music and stuff... Am I in the wrong thread?

Joking aside, you guys are starting to sound a lot like Reddit. Calm down. Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese us!

I didn't even read all of this by the way, because seriously, who wants to read 8 pages of arguing? Not me.

I gave up around page 2.

The OP just sounds like someone who spent a lot of money on an expensive card and can't fathom that it's not worth the money he put into it. That's why it's always important to do your research before buying this stuff! This info was available way before sound cards became popular.