Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

7 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Luckily I anticipated this and ordered a backup that arrived today.  A lovely EVGA 8800 GTX.

20220822_180941.thumb.jpg.99aa9a73212f3da3096685309c1366a4.jpg

And now I'm 0 and 2. 😥

Ok, the backup actually manages to be both worse than the first one and my Geforce 2 MX "400" (overclocking on one of my boards=RIP)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Oh no. Maybe try a 9800GT or GTX?

Or even a GTS 250. It's a die shrunk 9800GTX with up to 1GB vRAM.

PMSL

6 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

And not wildly era inappropriate either.

13 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

And not wildly era inappropriate either.

I may look into this.  I assume SLI is supported?   

I'm mainly on the hunt for a case at this point.  Trying to find something retro-ish with radiator support,  full ATX, a side window,  at least 4 5.25" bays and a 3.5" bay.  Any ideas?  The motherboard has barb fittings on the Northbridge chipset.  How can I just ignore that?  I already have an EK Supremacy Evo CPU block, a 240mm EK radiator (44mm thick I think)  and a D5 pump.  Just need barb fittings, tubing, and a reservoir (dual bay res?). 

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Most assuredly SLI is supported, but getting it working correctly is entirely a different thing. I had to reboot anytime I wanted SLI on and could only use one screen.

Trusty old Athlon XP 3000+ (2.1.Ghz barton core. 400MHz FSB)

DSCN0851.jpg

Core 2 Quad Q9650. Core 2 duo E8400, Core 2 duo E7500. 

CIMG1276.jpg

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

2 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

you'd need that propellor to cool Opterons

You aint kidding.

I chose to keep these chips because they are more or less the last of the Phenom II die. Since Phenom II is my favorite processor, I had to have them. 

This on the other hand, is not your typical Phenom II 970... Also much easier to cool than it's server counterparts. 

image.thumb.jpeg.58df825a5a7929b94638b9906adf1d39.jpeg

1 minute ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

You aint kidding.

I chose to keep these chips because they are more or less the last of the Phenom II die. Since Phenom II is my favorite processor, I had to have them. 

This on the other hand, is not your typical Phenom II 970... Also much easier to cool than it's server counterparts. 

image.thumb.jpeg.58df825a5a7929b94638b9906adf1d39.jpeg

Wish I had one of these Phenom CPUs to compare to Core 2 Duos and Athlon 64 x2s. 

12 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Wish I had one of these Phenom CPUs to compare to Core 2 Duos and Athlon 64 x2s. 

While on paper the Core 2 looks like the faster processor, The phenom II actually holds it's own in real life due to snappy memory performance and in general can be tuned to have substantially less latency than any Core 2 duo/quad platform. 

9 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

I may look into this.  I assume SLI is supported?   

I'm mainly on the hunt for a case at this point.  Trying to find something retro-ish with radiator support,  full ATX, a side window,  at least 4 5.25" bays and a 3.5" bay.  Any ideas?  The motherboard has barb fittings on the Northbridge chipset.  How can I just ignore that?  I already have an EK Supremacy Evo CPU block, a 240mm EK radiator (44mm thick I think)  and a D5 pump.  Just need barb fittings, tubing, and a reservoir (dual bay res?). 

Yep. The only difference ends up being (potentially) slightly lower memory clocks and being manufactured on 55nm. The 9800GTX+ is apparently the same card as well.

PMSL

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Yep. The only difference ends up being (potentially) slightly lower memory clocks and being manufactured on 55nm. The 9800GTX+ is apparently the same card as well.

I've ordered 2 PNY Geforce  9800 GTX+ cards.  Fingers crossed. 🤞 

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

I have one of these. I took it out of a superbikes arcade game. It's on lubuntu now, never runs though. I did use it at work for a few months when there wasn't a better option. 

it's an athlon x2 with 3gb of ram (after my upgrade), in a box that has the drivers for superbikes taped to the side. Unfortunately a picture isn't in the works for today, but it is in this weird 80's looking case. I pulled it from the dumpster, bought some parts on ebay to fix er up, and it actually runs fine on lubuntu,, it's not a speed demon but if you had to use it to buy a new computer it would run like a champ and have you offering it up for sale in hopes someone would make the best use of it. 

no one will buy it though. I tried that. 

i5 12400 , MSI b660 pro-a, 32g 3200 , rtx 3060, 1tb wdblack sn270

I gave my dad: rogstrix b350-f gaming, r5 2600, corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 2400, gtx 980 ti , he has minecraft, halo infinite, and collects his own photography. he had a "worst laptop in store special" that finishes loading your mouse movement, but not really much else. 

games: Starmade, Velocidrone, Minecraft, Astrokill, Liftoff, ThrustandShoot, , Infinity Battlescape, Flight of Nova, Orbital Racer

On 8/23/2022 at 9:24 PM, Fast_N_Curious said:

Pretty sure you guys already know what it is... 

DSCN0852.jpg

This man’s living in the McDonald’s fry dump 

C86461CF-0AB1-4852-813D-E21FF4A101E2.jpeg

My school left a closet labelled "electrical" unlocked so of course I took a peek. This is certainly not what I was expecting. (Excuse the horrible photo, the only camera I had with me was my Precision laptop's webcam, and apparently Dell couldn't put a better camera on a laptop that was $6000 new lol.) Anyway, there's a... something in a great Chieftek case, through the vents I could see multiple hard drives and on the back it has a video card with two DVI outputs. Doesn't appear to be doing anything productive so I'll request to liberate it. 

WIN_20220825_15_29_11_Pro.thumb.jpg.bf19243d209592f3dd45e374cb4c5324.jpg

Well my backup card, the 9200SE, artifacts when doing 3D. So glad the 9200 is fixed.

20220826_133726_HDR.thumb.jpg.47396d300dd70672a28c36a4144a02e3.jpg

Edit: It completed the run, and the scores drop off as expected so...probably OK for benchmark comparisons. Might recap the card though to see if that fixes it too. Because I don't have the soldering skills to replace the RAM, much less a source of new chips.

20220826_145751_HDR.thumb.jpg.84f64fde88ceb717b48876adf1ade459.jpg

PMSL

CS teacher left this on my desk with a Post-It on top saying "I know you'll love this". At first glance, it looks just like any other tiny notebook with a first-gen i5, but the screen can be unlocked to turn 360 degrees. It can then fold flat again to be used as a tablet, or you can be left staring at the metal back of the computer with your hands on the keyboard if you so desire. It also has a ridiculous amount of lights on the left corner which is fun. It also has an ejectable pen on the right side that can pop out to be used on the resistive touch display. The pen has a button on it, presumably right click. On the display, left side to the right of the power button, that is a Trackpoint style input device that is a little uncomfortable to use by finger - but it has a notch that the end of the pen fits perfectly into to give you better control. It also clicks when you press down on it. I can imagine it being fun to use once I get this working. It's got a fingerprint sensor on the right side of the display, also. 

image.thumb.png.c9e041916a5b8b5cc730f4df43a54be4.png

Currently it has 2GB of PC3-8500 and as 250gb 5400RPM Travelstar installed. Unsure of CPU or any other spec. Also unsure why the left click button only is a different color, but oh well. 

It uses a charger I don't have - most machines I work on are from Dell/HP, and use 19.5v barrel plug chargers with the center pin on the charger side. This uses a 15v barrel plug with the center pin on the laptop side, so I had to order one for a whole $12. That'll arrive in a week or so and I can hopefully get working on this some more, as it's quite cool

On 8/23/2022 at 9:24 PM, Fast_N_Curious said:

Pretty sure you guys already know what it is... 

DSCN0852.jpg

I do but I don't - Could be the X, LA, E or standard "Deluxe" version.
Also, look where the name of the board is and see what version it is - Will either be a 1.04 or 2.0 version.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, Mel0n. said:

CS teacher left this on my desk with a Post-It on top saying "I know you'll love this". At first glance, it looks just like any other tiny notebook with a first-gen i5, but the screen can be unlocked to turn 360 degrees. It can then fold flat again to be used as a tablet, or you can be left staring at the metal back of the computer with your hands on the keyboard if you so desire. It also has a ridiculous amount of lights on the left corner which is fun. It also has an ejectable pen on the right side that can pop out to be used on the resistive touch display. The pen has a button on it, presumably right click. On the display, left side to the right of the power button, that is a Trackpoint style input device that is a little uncomfortable to use by finger - but it has a notch that the end of the pen fits perfectly into to give you better control. It also clicks when you press down on it. I can imagine it being fun to use once I get this working. It's got a fingerprint sensor on the right side of the display, also. 

image.thumb.png.c9e041916a5b8b5cc730f4df43a54be4.png

Currently it has 2GB of PC3-8500 and as 250gb 5400RPM Travelstar installed. Unsure of CPU or any other spec. Also unsure why the left click button only is a different color, but oh well. 

It uses a charger I don't have - most machines I work on are from Dell/HP, and use 19.5v barrel plug chargers with the center pin on the charger side. This uses a 15v barrel plug with the center pin on the laptop side, so I had to order one for a whole $12. That'll arrive in a week or so and I can hopefully get working on this some more, as it's quite cool

HP TouchSmart TM2. Core i5 U470, MR HD5450, 8GB RAM and the 1TB HDD is currently removed. The laptop is all metal as well and the pen has multiple levels of pressure sensitivity (it is effectively a computer shoved inside a Wacom drawing tablet).
1666596304_20220827_0712121.thumb.jpg.07b7965937fab5f0294fb00428342f7a.jpg

image.png.7cb9bc7305c32a4126df1f6be320f396.png

My Mum swears by the (now disintegrating) silicon keyboard cover.

This little laptop was far faster than any of the Dell's she used at work - she actually pushed for years for teachers to get HP touchscreen laptops because of how useful it was - and only recently have some received them (a couple of other teachers had some smaller Atom based versions at the same time my Mum was using this)

Edit: Just realised that it also has a fingerprint sensor on the right hand side of the screen (the edge). It will have never been used as my Mum won't even use the one on her Tab S8.

PMSL