[Update] Security flaws discovered in AMD zen processors : AMD's meltdown?

Message added by WkdPaul

Please keep the conversation civil and respectful, as per the Community Standards;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

You know if they are indeed a fake company they could simply release the exploit into the wild for lols, and personally I would find it funny as this thread has made it clear to me why I hate AMD, its the fans. (well that and AMDs CPUs have never lasted more than 4 years for me while all my intel cpus still work), either way if the exploit is real it is the same scenario as meltdown a mostly academic exploit that requires other exploits to take proper effect.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

18 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

You know if they are indeed a fake company they could simply release the exploit into the wild for lols, and personally I would find it funny as this thread has made it clear to me why I hate AMD, its the fans. (well that and AMDs CPUs have never lasted more than 4 years for me while all my intel cpus still work), either way if the exploit is real it is the same scenario as meltdown a mostly academic exploit that requires other exploits to take proper effect.

Don't playa hate dawg.

18 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

This thread is about the AMD security flaw bullshit, not NVidia.

No I mean if you're accusing Linus of being an NV or Intel shill (sorry if i'm misunderstanding) they only report on stuff after the rumors disappear, I don't think this is anything but bullshit either until the proof of concept is public with more statements from researchers and AMD themselves.

11 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

All of my previous builds were AMD, but I can't stand the loud unrelenting fanboys on especially r/AMD these days.

1 minute ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Don't playa hate dawg.

Well in this case I'm not hating the player, I would in fact be hating the game (which in this analogy is AMD)

Not that it matters I really just hate hypocrisy and hype marketing which seem to happen in topics about this company due to their underdog persona and marketing style. It doesn't change much though as they were blacklisted by me due to unreliability not these latter dislikes, I've blacklisted many companies they are just the largest tech one.......besides apple :ph34r:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

No I mean if you're accusing Linus of being an NV or Intel shill (sorry if i'm misunderstanding) they only report on stuff after the rumors disappear, I don't think this is anything but bullshit either until the proof of concept is public with more statements from researchers and AMD themselves.

Jesus Christ you are so far off base. I made the statement because actual news is left out of the WANk show more often then not the past couple months.

8 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

I'm ashamed for checking your profile for an icon change... Apparently the logo was always there... 

#SponsorshipsWanted

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Well in this case I'm not hating the player, I would in fact be hating the game (which in this analogy is AMD)

Not that it matters I really just hate hypocrisy and hype marketing which seem to happen in topics about this company due to their underdog persona and marketing style. It doesn't change much though as they were blacklisted by me due to unreliability not these latter dislikes, I've blacklisted many companies they are just the largest tech one.......besides apple :ph34r:

It has nothing to do with hypocrisy, I outlined in a previous post why I think this thing(the game "CTS Labs"/Viceroy is playing) is complete bullshit. 

Well, I was away all day, and look at this mess.

My first thought is AMD should be sending the Lawyers after this company, raze it to the ground and salt the earth where it once stood. This wasn't a security issue; this was a hit-job. That it utterly clear.

https://twitter.com/cataclysmza/status/973621504427651072

Looks like the "security research" company has ties to stock manipulators, which looks a lot like what this was about. 

Has anyone found proof that this can work with anything but Physical Access? (At which, there's 1000s of approaches if true.)

9 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

CTS , a reasearch group has discovered potentially up to 13 flaws affecting Zen-based cpus ( this includes ryzen , ryzen pro , threadripper and epyc ) which could allow a malicious attacker to take control of a computer and/or access secure data that would usually stay our of reach .

CTS has contacted AMD , but only allowed them 24 hours instead of the customary 90 days , which is kind of a duck move in my opinion

10788-ryzen-chip-left-angle-960x548.png.132dc403e06cc98fcfe20fedf9424499.png

Source (cnet) 

https://www.cnet.com/news/amd-has-a-spectre-meltdown-like-security-flaw-of-its-own/

I honestly don't know what to say, but this is bad. Lets hope a patch comes in quick that doesn't cripple performance. 

Update : AMD has released a brief statement regarding the issue :

http://quarterlyearnings.amd.com/news-releases/news-release-details/view-our-corner-street-0

This is very fishy, even if its true. This company came out of nowhere, the YT Channel is 3 days old, and the Website is fairly new. But what is really fishy is the fact that in their YT Videos they use stock images and Green Screen for back gorund. I dont want to get to radical, but this may be a Market Manipulation Attempt by Intel.

OkWlIxA.jpgOkWlIxA.jpg

And before you call me a fanboy. I own a 6700K

1 minute ago, DanielMDA said:

This is very fishy, even if its true. This company came out of nowhere, the YT Channel is 3 days old, and the Website is fairly new. But what is really fishy is the fact that in their YT Videos they use stock images and Green Screen for back gorund. I dont want to get to radical, but this may be a Market Manipulation Attempt by Intel.

Wouldn't be the first or last time someone used a green screen for a background during an interview. 

1 minute ago, DanielMDA said:

And before you call me a fanboy. I own a 6700K

Red Herring fallacy.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

12 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

It has nothing to do with hypocrisy, I outlined in a previous post why I think this thing(the game "CTS Labs"/Viceroy is playing) is complete bullshit. 

Not you I'm talking about in general, CTS is indeed sketchy but the person they had validate their exploit has credibility, doesn't make their paper any less amateur. In short CTS reminds me of some cracking groups who often break code well but don't have sense nor any sort of scruples 

The Short Seller group that hatched this apparently attacked non-US Based stocks in the past. They're going to wish they didn't touch a US Stock. The SEC are a nightmare to deal with, and being non-American, they lack most protections. I hope you enjoy the NSA intercepts of your life!

this is the fastest growing thread I have ever seen...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The Short Seller group that hatched this apparently attacked non-US Based stocks in the past. They're going to wish they didn't touch a US Stock. The SEC are a nightmare to deal with, and being non-American, they lack most protections. I hope you enjoy the NSA intercepts of your life!

OH?! Well if it does happen that'll be fun to watch! :P

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

RIP OP's notifications

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The only question I have is whether they found an exploit or made one up, I'm sure that will be cleared up in a day or two but either way it is quite clear there was intent to cause harm to a US company regardless, also the NSA doesn't deal with foreigners that is the CIA

2 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

OH?! Well if it does happen that'll be fun to watch! :P

These things normally play out over 2-4 years, and they normally get like a line in a news feed at a time that never matters. It might make the news here when charges get filed in the future, but that's years from now.

Still, if there are two groups within the USA to never mess with: SEC and CIA. Both will destroy you for fun, though the first won't kill you.

10 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

4. Domain (website records) for this "16 years in operation" company don't exist any earlier than February of this year

Apparently this company was founded in 2017 as stated on their own website

http://www.cts-labs.com/management-team

So I don't even know WHERE they got 16 years from.

In 2017, Ido co-founded CTS Labs

Yaron co-founded CTS-Labs in 2017

In 2017, Ilia co-founded CTS Labs

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Both will destroy you for fun, though the first won't kill you.

Neither will the second.

And that's the scary part of it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

The only question I have is whether they found an exploit or made one up, I'm sure that will be cleared up in a day or two but either way it is quite clear there was intent to cause harm to a US company regardless, also the NSA doesn't deal with foreigners that is the CIA

Well, if you upload a modded BIOS, you can do anything to any computer. I'm trying to find a more technical breakdown, but, well, people are pretty pissed about the Attack aspects of this.

NSA logs everything. CIA does targeted Operations.

https://doublepulsar.com/on-amd-flaws-from-cts-labs-f167ea00e4e8

Some initial technical analysis from me.

• All of the bugs require administrator (or root) access to exploit. This is a significant mitigation.
  • All of the bugs require the ability to execute code. This is a significant mitigation.
  • No proof of concept code has been provided.
  • No technical information has been published.
  • Nothing is in the wild for this.
  • It could not lead to a global cyber attack like WannaCry, as it does not provide code execution.

This is pure "Nothingburger" at the moment. You can exploit many things when you're already the Admin & Physically Present at the system: i.e. the normal User.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

https://doublepulsar.com/on-amd-flaws-from-cts-labs-f167ea00e4e8

This is pure "Nothingburger" at the moment. You can exploit many things when you're already the Admin & Physically Present at the system: i.e. the normal User.

But but but but but but someone else LOOKED at the exploits and said they SAW IT!!!!!! That's proof enough, right right????