Fps shows its 300 but doesnt feel like it at all

m1k0z
Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

You may have good FPS but funky frame times, check your frame times.

60FPS should be around 16.6ms

120FPS -> 8.3ms

300FPS -> 3.3ms

If your frame times sit around 30ms or higher, you will experience micro stuttering or V-Sync like slowness

Hello so i recently build a gaming pc for myself like 3 weeks ago so first 2 weeks i had no issues with my pc but now every day in every game like in fortnite, pubg csgo my fps is high but doest feel like it at all for an example in csgo i have locked my fps to 300 but it doesnt feel like it at all it feels very slow i mean my game isnt freezing or anything but the gameplay feels slow. So for an example i get home i start playing fortnite usually then but then my game feels very smooth it doesnt  feel slow at all but after 1 or 2 hours of gaming it suddenly starts to feel very slow it somehow feels like VSync is on but it's not that bad but it feels a little bit that Vsync is on.

Fps in csgo with low settings is 300

Fps in fortnite with low settings except the resolution (1920*1080) and textures are epic is 200-250 (sometimes drops under 200)

Fps in pubg 70-110, textures high and resolution 1920*1080

My PC Specs

Processor: Intel i5 7600k

Graphics card: Evga gtx 950 2gb (OC)

Ram: Hyperx fury 8gb 2400Mhz

Mobo: Asus PRIME B250-PRO Intel B250 

Psu: chieftec 650w 

SSD: Kingston A400 120gb

HDD: Seagate barracuda 1Tb 

and monitor is BenQ 60Hz

So this probelm persists in every fps game i usually play in fortnite, csgo and pubg but a strange thing is that when i start my computer when i get home and start playing fortnite for example i have no issues with it but after 2 hours ive played then it suddenly goes to that point where it doesnt feel smooth and feels very slow but after i shutdown my pc for like 10 minutes then it feels smooth again and then in one or few hours it starts to feel slow again or not smooth at all 

Methods ive tried to fix the problem:

1. Ive tried a different mouse, doesnt work.

2. Ive ran virusscans with Avast, Malwarebytes and sophos, no viruses.

3. Ive checked cpu/gpu temperatures cpu is normal but in fortnite my gpu's temperature is 70°C idk if that might be the issue im not an expert 

4. Ive tried another 60Hz monitor, doesnt work. 

5. Reinstalled windows (Also installed every windows update) and now i have a Windows 10 Home (I had a Windows 10 Pro N

6.Ive uninstalled Geforce experience

7. ive Disabled Game Dvr, Game Bar, Game mode and Fast startup.

8. Reinstalled all my motherboard and graphics card drivers etc.

9.Installed every windows update and checked every driver are up to date.

10. Also when i reinstalled windows i had some sector problems on my HDD they're fixed too.

11. Ive tried to adjust my nvidia settings for best performance in games.

Also here's a screenshot of my cpu, gpu and memory usage in fortnite: 

So those methods ive tried to fix the problem but doesnt work im running low on ideas what might be the issue ive had my new pc for only 3 weeks and last pc i had, i had to play pubg with 30 fps and almost every fps game with bad performance so i dont want that same thing to happen to my new pc. I really appreciate if someone can help me with this even though this is a very long text to read :D

And apologies if my english is not that great.

There might be screen tearing or similar issue enable G-sync.

My monitor doesnt support G-sync :/ ive tried to find answers from internet many people talked about gsync but as ive seen from nvidia control panel there is no gsync so my monitor doesnt have it 

Lower lock for fps to 250 or 125. Or even lower. You can raise graphics and see how it gies. 300fps is just number to brag to friends online. Fps doesn't matter after double what your monitor Hz is. I personally don't see difference between 90 and 150 fps on 60Hz monitor. I like it higher only to make overall feel of possible dips better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yeah i have tried to lock my fps to 60 in fortnite when im starting to feel its starting to go to that point where its very slow but that doesnt help at all usually in fortnite i have unlimited fps option in fps settings but ive tried to change it to 60, 100, etc but doesnt help at all, only shutting down my pc for like 10 minutes seems to work for that problem.

You may have good FPS but funky frame times, check your frame times.

60FPS should be around 16.6ms

120FPS -> 8.3ms

300FPS -> 3.3ms

If your frame times sit around 30ms or higher, you will experience micro stuttering or V-Sync like slowness

CSGO has frame time issue. Higher FPS doesn't mean you'll get smoother experience due to sv and var spikes.

Try reinstall Windows and the game itself. It's the simplest way IMO.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Ok @WereCat can you tell me how do i check my frametimes? And if i have a frametime issue how can i fix it?

3 minutes ago, m1k0z said:

Ok @WereCat can you tell me how do i check my frametimes? And if i have a frametime issue how can i fix it?

You can either us FRAPS (full version) and record the frame times into a .txt file.

Or download MSI Afterburner with Riva Tuner Statistics Server and you can set it up to show you FPS and Frame times in-game and also to record them into a .txt file.

The usual way of dealing with bad frame times is to use DDU to uninstall your drivers and then install new ones. If that does not help, disable Fast Startup, Game Mode, Game DVR, Game Bar in Windows 10 and restart the PC.

If that doesent help... well, its tricky.

Some games will allow you to display in-game FPS and Frame times via a console command. CS:GO does that, not 100% sure though.

@WereCat Thank you i will try these methods when i get home i will message here if they didnt work. Also one thing i forgot to say is that like a week ago i downloaded a windows media feature pack so i can use shadowplay, the same day the fps issue started before that i had no problems with games i remember that i checked that i downloaded it actually from microsoft's own website but could that have anything to do with my problem? And with my new pc ive been very careful that i dont get viruses/malwares/rats to my pc usually before i download a program or open it i always first put it in virustotal.com just in case i dont get any viruses on my new pc and usually like twice a week i run a full virus scan for my pc with avast idk i might be a little too paranoid of viruses if i even put them in virustotal.com before opening them even if they are from a known website :D

2 minutes ago, m1k0z said:

@WereCat Thank you i will try these methods when i get home i will message here if they didnt work. Also one thing i forgot to say is that like a week ago i downloaded a windows media feature pack so i can use shadowplay, the same day the fps issue started before that i had no problems with games i remember that i checked that i downloaded it actually from microsoft's own website but could that have anything to do with my problem? And with my new pc ive been very careful that i dont get viruses/malwares/rats to my pc usually before i download a program or open it i always first put it in virustotal.com just in case i dont get any viruses on my new pc and usually like twice a week i run a full virus scan for my pc with avast idk i might be a little too paranoid of viruses if i even put them in virustotal.com before opening them even if they are from a known website :D

The Media Feature pack should not really affect things this way. If you are using ShadowPlay for loop recording and save anytime, that may affect performance a bit but it shouldnt make a huge difference like this as well.

@WereCat Could it be input lag because fps stays in 200 in fortnite but everything is slow and feels like something in the game doesnt happen in time i mean it happens in some kind of a slowmotion probably

10 minutes ago, m1k0z said:

@WereCat Could it be input lag because fps stays in 200 in fortnite but everything is slow and feels like something in the game doesnt happen in time i mean it happens in some kind of a slowmotion probably

Bad frametimes = input lag or micro stutter

@WereCat Hi, I reseted my pc yesterday and i still have the same problem fps is 200 in fortnite and doesnt feel smooth any ideas what it might be? I thought a frametime issue is supposed to fix when you reset your pc? Or am i right?

On 09/03/2018 at 6:26 PM, m1k0z said:

So for an example i get home i start playing fortnite usually then but then my game feels very smooth it doesnt  feel slow at all but after 1 or 2 hours of gaming it suddenly starts to feel very slow

Check your ram and video card vram usage during games.

If it's running fine at first then after you've been playing a while it starts to slow down it could be that it's trying to use more memory than your system has and is using page file which will slow it down noticeably.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

@Spotty And how do i do it exactly :D? Im sorry i dont know a lot about computers only thing i know is how to build a pc and install windows , so do i need to download something like msi afterburner with rivatuner or where can i check it?

28 minutes ago, m1k0z said:

And how do i do it exactly :D? Im sorry i dont know a lot about computers only thing i know is how to build a pc and install windows , so do i need to download something like msi afterburner with rivatuner or where can i check it?

Afterburner will be great as it will show you a lot more information as well.
You can always just check your RAM usage by Alt+Tabbing out of the game and loading up Task Manager and checking the Performance tab. It will tell you your memory usage.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

@m1k0z Restarting PC itself rarely helps, I hope you tried to turn off the things in Windows I told you to.

Also, Riva Tuner + MSI Afterburner are a great way to check if HW is the cause of slowdowns.

Another thing that comes to mind is related to multiple monitors from which each runs at a different refresh rate, do you have such setup? For example 60Hz and 75Hz/100Hz/120Hz/144Hz/etc... monitors?

@WereCat Yes, i even reseted my pc it took me 4 hours to fully reset HDD and SSD there were some kind of sector problems on my Hdd i fixed them and i installed Windows 10 home  on my pc i had Windows 10 Pro N, so when i reseted my pc i installed every windows update and downloaded the latest graphics card drivers and motherboard drivers and checked everything was up to date, then i disabled fast startup, game bar, game dvr and game mode. Changed nvidia settings in fortnite prefer maximum performance, etc and i have a 60Hz monitor.

@Spotty Yes ive looked into task manager and my gpu usage ingame is 100% but i havent seen any odd memory usage when im in fortnite or anything or maybe i havent seen it. I will check my memory usage today when i have time. Also my temperatures ingame are normal except gpu's temperature is 70 when im ingame i dont know i think that should still be normal or?

Sorry, I am not really sure anymore.

Last thing I would try is to enable Fast-Sync in NV Control Panel

@WereCat Ok im gonna try to enable Fast-Sync when i get on my pc later today, if it doesnt solve my issue im gonna start saving money for a 144Hz monitor. And thanks to all for your answers.

@WereCat So i tried to enable Fast sync didnt help at all and now im in game i have the problem again fps is over 200 but feels very slow and i also have msi afterburner's overlay on where i can check frametimes but they are under 10 ms all the time