Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 minutes ago, ProfBrown said:

Other choice for a high mpg wagon was the BMW diesel wagon. But I didn't see the value in anything above 20k lol. Had a few BMWs in my life so the brand didn't scare me. The 3 and 5 series BMW diesels are nice cars, just to expensive for their relative competition in the high MPG wagon market. Plus the golf is a bit more sporty than the 5 series cars would have been. 

My uncle just got a 325d used, it's a pretty nice car, got some pick up. Sedan though cause americans don't like wagons?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

8 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

I love wagons, wish more were sold here.

Looks a lot better than the normal Golf imo

I agree that it looks better than the normal golf from a side view or rear view. Front on they are identical lol. I wish America got the GTD version of the Golf Diesel instead of just the TDI. The GTD is essentially a GTI (supped up) version of the TDI diesel! So more power, better suspension, better tires/wheels. Too bad... 

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

My uncle just got a 325d used, it's a pretty nice car, got some pick up. Sedan though cause americans don't like wagons?

Correct, I was made fun of by most of my friends regarding going with a wagon over a sedan to be honest. But I downsized from a 1500 pickup truck and wanted to keep the interior room lol. Americans don't really buy wagons for the most part even though they have quite a few pluses over a sedan for marginal extra cost. The BMW version of the 2.0 diesel while the same displacement as my cars, makes more power I believe and gets about the same, if not a couple points more MPG. Might even be twin turboed? I cannot remember if it was that one or the one in the 5 series diesel cars.

Take for example the CTSV Wagon from the 2nd generation of the CTS V line. Did not sell all that well, until they ended production and prices are stupid high now. Over the sedan or coupe version of the same generation of CTS V cars. Or the mercedes wagons, hardly any, same with BMW. Heck when I had my e36 I was pissed because the e36 wagon was never brought to America, and the E46 wagon wasn't till later. Now if only I could find an E39 540i Wagon in the right color (white or silver) with a stick. I'd be so happy lol

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

My Ride:

Just now, Kaloob said:

Give one a lift and people will buy 'em up.

LOL they did already! They make lift kits for Subies and my car actually. The VW Alltrack is the golf awd version of my car, and those springs fit mine, and it actually lifts the car 2 inches. I think honestly, its a cultural thing. When people need more space they get an SUV her where as in Europe it makes more sense to get a wagon to keep MPG up.And cost down. 

Funny side note, studies show that most of Subaru's customers are lesbians. Aside from WRX STIs who do you see driving their cars lol? Tend to be more rugged ladies.

Lets be clear I mean this as no disrespect to any individual, I just find fun in small, stupid, trivial knowledge lol.

Laptop:

My Ride:

Just now, Kaloob said:

Outback, Crosstrek and older Foresters=Lifted wagons, sell a ton.

Around here there isn't a set demographic for Subaru, but they did become popular here from an ad campaign they made when they found lesbians were the most likely buyers. They were about to pull out of the US market, but the campaign saved them.

They've moved on to advertising to dogs now.

Doesn't surprise me. An STI is stupid overpriced. No way their sales are too high. Those types of ads and the BRZ saved their butts. The STI has had essentially the same engine for the last what like 20 years? How is production cost not stupid low? Their R&D was paid for after 2-3 years of selling it lol. Charging almost 40k for a sedan with sub 400 hp thats AWD and not the most reliable is a joke lol

Laptop:

My Ride:

2 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

BRZ definitely didn't save them, those things sell slow asf. The Forester and Outback were what saved them.

Agree that the STi should cost less, the normal WRX (and even the Legacy and Outback XT) is a better value. Hopefully the next gen has an FA24 making at least 350 HP and maybe a price drop. 

I'd totally buy an STi if I had the money, but I'm a Subaru fanboy, which is their target audience lol

I thought the BRZ when it came out did some saving? Granted I could be wrong. I know the FRS sold like hot cakes, and using Subaru drive train I know Subie made some money off of it lol. The BRZ took a while to be released when compared to the FRS from what I remember. That would have for sure impacted their sales. While slow stock, aftermarket is huge, and they are a really nice little platform. Rival the miata in a few ways in my eyes, all while being better looking without the miata stigma.

Laptop:

My Ride:

image0.jpg

it's running even better /s

Im not really sure what it's problem is lol
im guessing it might be something to do with me setting the clock lol

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

it's running even better /s

Im not really sure what it's problem is lol
im guessing it might be something to do with me setting the clock lol

Pretty sure that's the oil change reminder IIRC

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

Pretty sure that's the oil change reminder IIRC

the dealership claims they do oil changes before they are offered for sale (I see that being both a pro and a con lol)
so I can just clear that ig kek
god these cars are weird.

I set the clock but for some reason it overshot the month I know I selected lmao
also lol
image0.jpg

so according to my saab the world will end in 2255 and 2000 was when the world started
image1.jpg

1 hour ago, ProfBrown said:

Correct

Yeah, I’m American lol I was just saying it cause it’s stupid. They’re so practical and look good doing it.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 hour ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

the dealership claims they do oil changes before they are offered for sale (I see that being both a pro and a con lol)
so I can just clear that ig kek
god these cars are weird.

I set the clock but for some reason it overshot the month I know I selected lmao
also lol

so according to my saab the world will end in 2255 and 2000 was when the world started

I'd do an oil change anyway, just to be safe. All fluids are always the first thing I do when I pickup a car, along with brakes

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

I'd do an oil change anyway, just to be safe. All fluids are always the first thing I do when I pickup a car, along with brakes

Fluids yes, brakes are a weird one lol. You can tell if they will be fine for a while or not by just taking a wheel and a caliper off. Tires usually are about toast in the used market, and so are bushings/ball joints.

Laptop:

My Ride:

2 minutes ago, ProfBrown said:

Fluids yes, brakes are a weird one lol. You can tell if they will be fine for a while or not by just taking a wheel and a caliper off. Tires usually are about toast in the used market, and so are bushings/ball joints.

It's something my grandfather has always done, just don't have to worry about it for a while then, vs 10K miles later

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

It's something my grandfather has always done, just don't have to worry about it for a while then, vs 10K miles later

Not bashing at all, probably a good practice tbh. Just one that I am not attuned to lol! Most modern car brakes last a while though. A decent set of pads and rotors should last a normal car from factory around 100k+ miles. Even shoes and drums. Brakes are far better than they used to be. When I sold my truck, I had over 125k on the stock rear shoes and drums. Still had about another 20-30k of life on them if I had to guess.

Laptop:

My Ride:

30 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

yeah I think they used conventional oil from the color of it, although I'm not sure if you can tell after the oil's been circulated a little.

Which it recommends full synthetic and I dunno if the sales person put 90 Octane in or 87. But until I get the Fuel Sender replaced I'm gonna get a gas can and fill it with 90 Octane so Im gonna get it back to full and then just do the math to make sure that I keep enough gas in the tank to do what I need it to

breaks are prolly on the list, my aunt's husband thought that the breaks might need replacing.

I need that turbo lasting for another 4k or so miles.

8 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

yeah I think they used conventional oil from the color of it, although I'm not sure if you can tell after the oil's been circulated a little.

Which it recommends full synthetic and I dunno if the sales person put 90 Octane in or 87. But until I get the Fuel Sender replaced I'm gonna get a gas can and fill it with 90 Octane so Im gonna get it back to full and then just do the math to make sure that I keep enough gas in the tank to do what I need it to

breaks are prolly on the list, my aunt's husband thought that the breaks might need replacing.

I need that turbo lasting for another 4k or so miles.

I always do full synthetic and 93 octane, the car loves it, and it's honestly worth it

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

*buys car* 

*does full rebuild and restoration* 

guess I don’t have to worry about it now! 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, SaviorSix said:

Yeah, I can understand not needing the AWD. It's a draw for me since I live in the Smoky Mountains and roads can be shotty as best during the cold and rainy months. Honestly, I would love a 2014 Dodge Charger.

Miata is what you meant to say I'm pretty sure.

18 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Miata is what you meant to say I'm pretty sure.

Never understood the draw to a miata. Yes they are great little fun cars, but there are other great little fun cars out there that look and sound better. 

Laptop:

My Ride:

Oh I know, it's just the most commonly bandied about name in cars when it comes to bendy fun road places. I think it's got more to do with heritage of it being THE cheap drop top sportsy car than it does with it being the perfect sportsy car. If it came with a real roof, though I say this about any convertible only car, I'd be more into it.

ah dun waun et

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

10 hours ago, ProfBrown said:

Never understood the draw to a miata. Yes they are great little fun cars, but there are other great little fun cars out there that look and sound better. 

It’s one of those cars that is more fun than you thought it would be once you actually drive one. Still haven’t driven anything like it really 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just Realizing How many cars i have driven, geez

8th gen corolla, 2 7th gen civics, 1 8th gen civic, 2 accords, NB and ND Miata’s, mazdaspeed 3, 1st gen g35, 2 C7 Audi A6’s, B8 and B8.5 Audi A4, Pontiac solstice, ‘15 Chevy Cruze, ‘14 Chrysler 200, ‘07 suburban, ‘15 QX80, ‘98 F-150, ‘14 RAM 1500, ‘15 Sierra 1500, ‘16 titan diesel, ‘18 F-250, Lotus Exige Sport 260, Ferrari 488

i think that’s everything? 

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Just Realizing How many cars i have driven, geez

8th gen corolla, 2 7th gen civics, 1 8th gen civic, 2 accords, NB and ND Miata’s, mazdaspeed 3, 1st gen g35, 2 C7 Audi A6’s, B8 and B8.5 Audi A4, Pontiac solstice, ‘15 Chevy Cruze, ‘14 Chrysler 200, ‘07 suburban, ‘15 QX80, ‘98 F-150, ‘14 RAM 1500, ‘15 Sierra 1500, ‘16 titan diesel, ‘18 F-250, Lotus Exige Sport 260, Ferrari 488

i think that’s everything? 

Thats not that many. Ive driven more than that in 6 months lmao

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h