Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

So long as it isn't anemic I don't care too much about what's inside it. Just so long as I get practical use out of it. That's up to you to decide though.

Eh. Daily. Preferably somewhat fun yet cheap. May opt to get a hot hatch instead, don't really need practicalities of a sedan

39 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Because, reasons

One of the biggest reasons I want to move from here. I love it here and shit, but when it comes to cars, it's just utter bullshit.

Looking good :D

You think Portugal taxes are bad? What about us poor Swedes :P

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

Why are they so strict when it comes to cars :/

My babys undergone quite the transformation over the last few weeks

20171109_083009.jpg

IMG_20171101_154126.jpg

Did you get bigger rims or something? Or is it just me, because they seem bigger when black.

40 minutes ago, IAR117 said:

MPS 6 or ST220 for daily?

MPS 6. Turbo, much more fun, and probably more comfortable than the ST220. Then again the states never got the Mondeo, so it's kinda hard to tell. Still would go MPS 6. Only thing to watch out for are holes in motors.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Once you go black, you never go back. 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

39 minutes ago, IKnight said:

You think Portugal taxes are bad? What about us poor Swedes :P

I know your VAT is one of the highest and all, but still, I see @techswede posting a lot of imported cars (I suppose?) being sold there. Or you just have access to US cars for some reason I am not aware of.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

7 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I know your VAT is one of the highest and all, but still, I see @techswede posting a lot of imported cars (I suppose?) being sold there. Or you just have access to US cars for some reason I am not aware of.

Yeah we do have a ton of imported cars, I will admit that.

From what I know, importing is not a very big/expensive issue for us though techswede knows more abiut this (most likely). 

Edit: it's apparently 25% tax on cars outside of the EU. Inside EU, used cars can be freely imported/exported. There's also another 10% fee for the customs. 

Ummm I know mold on some cheeses is a thing but here’s a question —

If you spot mold on a cheese that you’ve never heard of before that you found in the fridge, how do you determine if that mold is good mold or food getting old mold? Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Cheese is mold. If your mold has mold on it, cut that mold off, and eat the mold that came from the store.

10/10 good advice

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

VAT isn't even that bad. Our pay is such that it compensates a bit. 

Some are imported and some were sold here. 

2 hours ago, IKnight said:

Yeah we do have a ton of imported cars, I will admit that.

From what I know, importing is not a very big/expensive issue for us though techswede knows more abiut this (most likely). 

Edit: it's apparently 25% tax on cars outside of the EU. Inside EU, used cars can be freely imported/exported. There's also another 10% fee for the customs. 

Importing is not too bad. It just takes a bit of know how/a good importer and some money. 

There are some differing laws if its a private import or if you bring it with you if you move here. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Ummm I know mold on some cheeses is a thing but here’s a question —

If you spot mold on a cheese that you’ve never heard of before that you found in the fridge, how do you determine if that mold is good mold or food getting old mold? Lol

If it's not pre-molded, don't.

When even your blinker is so bright you see its yellow light pulsing on the No U Turn sign.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

1 minute ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

When even your blinker is so bright you see its yellow light pulsing on the No U Turn sign.

Do people not..?

19 minutes ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

signs are pretty reflective... doesn't take much tbh

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

signs are pretty reflective... doesn't take much tbh

Well my Civic's blinkers certainly don't reflect off it. Borrowed my parent's Toyota Corolla.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

2 minutes ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

Well my Civic's blinkers certainly don't reflect off it. Borrowed my parent's Toyota Corolla.

Your Civic has anemic turn signals then. I've never seen a vehicle that didn't light up the signs around it from the lights.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Your Civic has anemic turn signals then. I've never seen a vehicle that didn't light up the signs around it from the lights.

Do the new Kia Forte's have them? That's the new car I'm looking to buy.

Just now, WhiteJaguar77 said:

Do the new Kia Forte's have them? That's the new car I'm looking to buy.

I'm not sure, I haven't looked at a Kia Forte very much but from what I've seen on the streets they look plenty bright?

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I'm not sure, I haven't looked at a Kia Forte very much but from what I've seen on the streets they look plenty bright?

Okay. Because it gets plenty dark here with few street lights in between in some areas. Tbh I have to use the high beams when I drive the Civic.

1 minute ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

Okay. Because it gets plenty dark here with few street lights in between in some areas. Tbh I have to use the high beams when I drive the Civic.

You might want to look in to replacing your lights if that's the case, you should never need to switch to your high beams to drive in a populated area.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

You might want to look in to replacing your lights if that's the case, you should never need to switch to your high beams to drive in a populated area.

Already have. My personal mechanic said 100% I won't get a ticket because the high beams are as bright as the normal lights of modern cars. Actually, the normal lights on the Corolla are brighter than my high beams. But I switch the high beams down to normal if I'm on a dark road passing by opposite traffic.

8 minutes ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

Already have. My personal mechanic said 100% I won't get a ticket because the high beams are as bright as the normal lights of modern cars. Actually, the normal lights on the Corolla are brighter than my high beams. But I switch the high beams down to normal if I'm on a dark road passing by opposite traffic.

No no, the problem isn't that you're using your brights and shouldn't because they're too bright, it's that your normal lights are so dim that you're forced to use your high beams. You should never need to use your high beams unless you're in an area that has no artificial light sources, your normal lights should be bright enough for the road.

7 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

No no, the problem isn't that you're using your brights and shouldn't because they're too bright, it's that your normal lights are so dim that you're forced to use your high beams. You should never need to use your high beams unless you're in an area that has no artificial light sources, your normal lights should be bright enough for the road.

They're not dim, it's because the normal lights spreads out only like five feet in front of my car. I asked my mechanic to raise the bulbs because they're basically almost pointing to the ground but he claims if he raises them any higher, they'll hit the rearview mirror of a driver in front of me. Strange because my lights hit below the license plate of a car. Should I get a second opinion? 

39 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Lighting is important and usually overlooked. I'd spend the money on new bulbs and new headlight housings. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

3 minutes ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

They're not dim, it's because the normal lights spreads out only like five feet in front of my car. I asked my mechanic to raise the bulbs because they're basically almost pointing to the ground but he claims if he raises them any higher, they'll hit the rearview mirror of a driver in front of me. Strange because my lights hit below the license plate of a car. Should I get a second opinion? 

Your lights are too dim in that case.