Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

It really sucks that the newest Impreza STi doesn't use an EJ engine, but the boxer 4 found in the Scion FR-S, just turbocharged. Honestly, it ruins the pedigree of the car, because the EJ is what made the STi unique with it's burly exhaust note.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It really sucks that the newest Impreza STi doesn't use an EJ engine, but the boxer 4 found in the Scion FR-S, just turbocharged. Honestly, it ruins the pedigree of the car, because the EJ is what made the STi unique with it's burly exhaust note.

It's still possible to replicate the sound, somewhat, with the exhaust if it's still the same flow.

It's still possible to replicate the sound, somewhat, with the exhaust if it's still the same flow.

But really, they have used the EJ for 3 generations. It's not like them to just suddenly drop it in favor of a turbo boxer FA engine from a BRZ.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

But really, they have used the EJ for 3 generations. It's not like them to just suddenly drop it in favor of a turbo boxer FA engine from a BRZ.

Does it provide any mechanical improvement over the EJ in terms of reliability, power, efficiency, etc?

How long does it usually take to install a sub? I know how to do it but was just wondering how much time it takes.

Also how hard is it to install a subwoofer amp?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

How long does it usually take to install a sub? I know how to do it but was just wondering how much time it takes.

Also how hard is it to install a subwoofer amp?

About two minutes if you don't care to run wire under things and bolt it down.

Joe Battle has been shut down to one lane, and there are thousands of people that use it to get to work. Suffffferrrrrrrrrrrrrrr people.

giphy.gif

Does it provide any mechanical improvement over the EJ in terms of reliability, power, efficiency, etc?

Not really.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/5008373733.html65K miles only and it's pretty clean, i gotta say for an rx-7.

Subjective or objective opinion?

Well really, wikipedia didn't show anything.

I saw a really really riced out RX7 yesterday that was slammed to its nuts, it was dragging everywhere, fart cannon, bright red, gold rims, really dark tint and about a 2 foot tall spoiler. I forgot about it until you posted that link

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Well really, wikipedia didn't show anything.

No real power difference? Do you know if power gains are any different between the two?

No real power difference? Do you know if power gains are any different between the two?

Actually even with a turbo, the FA still makes about 30 HP less than the EJ257,

So far here's what I've got planned for the Prelude. I decided to spend the extra money and get a front tow hook also. With my luck I'll end up needing it someday, better safe than sorry.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17D1WcaAbEvu6CpUnq1PxcPD9_uSutTau8gwuokVorVo/edit?usp=sharing

So far here's what I've got planned for the Prelude. I decided to spend the extra money and get a front tow hook also. With my luck I'll end up needing it someday, better safe than sorry.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17D1WcaAbEvu6CpUnq1PxcPD9_uSutTau8gwuokVorVo/edit?usp=sharing

Cut out some of the useless stuff and atleast get some decent coilovers...

Your car is gonna be practically sticker bombed.

System: Thinkpad T460

Cut out some of the useless stuff and atleast get some decent coilovrrs...

Your car is gonna be practically sticker bombed.

I should've mentioned, a few won't be going on or in the car. Some will be going on my desk. Also the warning stickers will be going on the visor, the I got this and the But did you die will be going on the dash, most will be going on the rear window on the driver's side lining it.

Any suggestions for coilovers?

Turns out Joe Battle wasn't reduced to one lane, it was closed completely. Montana is probably sooooooo clogged right now.

Cheaper than my list.

Turns out Joe Battle wasn't reduced to one lane, it was closed completely. Montana is probably sooooooo clogged right now.

Cheaper than my list.

I've got a year to flesh out my plans so the list will for sure expand in that time

I've got a year to flesh out my plans so the list will for sure expand in that time

Do you feel like topping $10+k?

Do you feel like topping $10+k?

I'm not gonna go that far. The car will run me about $3,000 or so, plus the plans I've already got, so it will cost me a little bit but nothing that crazy.

I'm not gonna go that far. The car will run me about $3,000 or so, plus the plans I've already got, so it will cost me a little bit but nothing that crazy.

IIRC, $6k was just for wheels and tires. :'D

Still need a Leer cap, bed cover, LineX the bed, and eventually LineX the underside and frame, wire the backup camera, and heavy duty front and rear bumpers along with what was already in the list that I can't find. It's going to end up costing about $20k total give or take a few hundred just to get it off-road and work ready.

IIRC, $6k was just for wheels and tires. :'D

Still need a Leer cap, bed cover, LineX the bed, and eventually LineX the underside and frame, wire the backup camera, and heavy duty front and rear bumpers along with what was already in the list that I can't find. It's going to end up costing about $20k total give or take a few hundred just to get it off-road and work ready.

I'm planning on keeping the car for a long long time. So I'll eventually get to the point of buying really nice rims and tires.

A couple friends of mine have their Preludes lowered an inch and a half and spray painted their stock rims black, which is a look I kinda like for the low price that is requires to do it

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/21981_1047397615288811_2657883899910065017_n.jpg?oh=d8179c4d1d41a85d04efb119abd8c883&oe=55E2BB38

I'm planning on keeping the car for a long long time. So I'll eventually get to the point of buying really nice rims and tires.

A couple friends of mine have their Preludes lowered an inch and a half and spray painted their stock rims black, which is a look I kinda like for the low price that is requires to do it

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/21981_1047397615288811_2657883899910065017_n.jpg?oh=d8179c4d1d41a85d04efb119abd8c883&oe=55E2BB38

My goals are a wee bit different than yours. :lol: