Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

I drive to my grandad's house. Still trying to convince him to put a lift in the garage. 

equestrian ramps, embankments if you are out in the bush

an outdoor garage pit

8 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Or just do it every 3,000 because you have no life and need something to do on the weekends.

The manual for the s10 says 7500 but there's a noticeable difference in the smoothness in how it revs even on the 3k intervals

or if you have an e60 m5 you have to fill a quart every 1200 miles  :S

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

2 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

or if you have an e60 m5 you have to fill a quart every 1200 miles  :S

wait so it consumes oil by design or?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

wait so it consumes oil by design or?

I dont know I just have read that they eat oil. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

5 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

I dont know I just have read that they eat oil. 

that's a shame...  It's honestly a shame a lot of cars do this it seems

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@MEC-777 and @chaozbandit some 599xx evo fun in daytona. 

the guy driving runs the servers for google. He and his wife have a pretty amazing collection of cars check the spoiler for pics. 

Spoiler

bensloss-ferrarifxxk.jpg

gtac_sloss-512.jpg

14733668_1774060482845493_45247964420274

13329034_1714770235457062_185566916_n.jp13267419_1728818057394571_995097202_n.jp

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

that's a shame...  It's honestly a shame a lot of cars do this it seems

my protege has near 270k miles and it still hasn't been burning oil. :D i think i struck it lucky with this motor.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

my miata does let a bit of oil through the PCV valve into the intake manifold so I know it will burn a tiny bit overtime... quite annoying tbh and makes my intake manifold and valves and stuff all sooty

why don't we have a system for catching oil from PCV and reverting it back to the oil pan? lol. Though I suppose you could get oil catch can and just pour it into the crankcase every now and then LOL

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

could reroute the pcv into the exhaust. Just let it burn off. What even are emissions?

lol i thought about doing the compressor air filter method described here (3rd post) http://gearheadsmiataclub.net/vB/showthread.php/327-DIY-Miata-oil-catch-can-breather

typically people do this with turbo setups though and for an N/A setup I think you still have to pass the air from the crankcase into the intake mani or the ECU won't like you very much

@vetali is my thinking right here?

Spoiler

oh heres something interesting:

Matt told me today he pulled his ABS fuse on his truck because well, curiosity eh? as such it completely disabled ABS, traction, and stability control. What was interesting was it also disabled power steering....

One question for that last bit: Why?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Matt told me today he pulled his ABS fuse on his truck because well, curiosity eh? as such it completely disabled ABS, traction, and stability control. What was interesting was it also disabled power steering....

Did it disable the pump?

Just now, Maybach123 said:

Did it disable the pump?

it's electric...

what on an electric power steering system would require ABS to be working though? That's what baffles me

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

@MEC-777 and @chaozbandit some 599xx evo fun in daytona. 

the guy driving runs the servers for google. He and his wife have a pretty amazing collection of cars check the spoiler for pics. 

Hide contents

I remember this guy haha popped up on my radar when his wife bought the FXX K. Greg is down there too, with his F1 car I think and not his 599xx.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Its been too long sense I've greased the undercarriage. 

IIRC the newer silverados use hydroboost brakes (after 2004?)

That might have something to do with it. Too much power steering pressure could lock up the brakes maybe? Are they even electric power steering?

hydroboost brakes.. just looked that up. No wonder our suburban has a *weird* brake pedal....

but yeah his is electric... does that mean it doesn't have hydroboost brakes? lol

Spoiler

IIRC they switched to hydroboost brakes in 2004.

but it uses power steering fluid... Electric power steering doesn't have fluid. 

so it must not have the hydroboost crap

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

I remember this guy haha popped up on my radar when his wife bought the FXX K. Greg is down there too, with his F1 car I think and not his 599xx.

green 599xx is in daytona, along with his f1 car.

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

You sure they're not an electric hydro - lick pump?

I don't know... I always thought electric PS was purely mechanical?

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

lol i thought about doing the compressor air filter method described here (3rd post) http://gearheadsmiataclub.net/vB/showthread.php/327-DIY-Miata-oil-catch-can-breather

typically people do this with turbo setups though and for an N/A setup I think you still have to pass the air from the crankcase into the intake mani or the ECU won't like you very much

@vetali is my thinking right here?

Yeah but if you aren't burning oil in an NA car, I don't see catch cans a big of a deal, especially port fuel injection. Direct injection turbo cars is a different story. Must have a catch can.

23 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

GM used a combination electric steering rack and booster for some cars. Wonder if they are doing the same thing. Could just be a module CAN bus thing too. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hell if I know! I don't want anything to do with it.

lol now that I know what hydroboost brakes are I can rant about that all day and why it's terrible... Spongy brakes with 0 feel all day long

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah but if you aren't burning oil in an NA car, I don't see catch cans a big of a deal, especially port fuel injection. Direct injection turbo cars is a different story. Must have a catch can.

but my valves and intake manifold were filthy m8....

it's also really bad for the EGR system I hear :(

and it does burn some... it has to be. Not all the oil that went missing was from the leak I had.

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

but my valves and intake manifold were filthy m8....

it's also really bad for the EGR system I hear :(

Fuel should keep your valves pretty clean.... what kind of gas are you running? 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

@bcredeur weren't you running 89 or 87?

@bcredeur97

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB