Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

So after 4 hours of trying to figure out sizes for bulbs and looking up pricing. To upgrade all 18 of my exterior bulbs would be $140 which really isn't too bad I think. Everything will be LEDS other than my headlights (Going with the ones @bcredeur97 suggested)

But it will be so nice to update everything to leds, tail lights, tag lights, blinkers, reverse lights, for lights. Everything. It will be so nice. I'm way more excited than I should be.

Anyone know how long LED bulbs should last for all of those applications?

One last thing @bcredeur97 did you say they have a slight blue tint at all? Because reviews are saying it's just bright white.

Don't get me wrong, normal bright white will still be super nice, but I'm just trying to figure out what to expect

Sorry for such a fiasco over something as simple as lighting. Finally got it all figured out though

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

12 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

So after 4 hours of trying to figure out sizes for bulbs and looking up pricing. To upgrade all 18 of my exterior bulbs would be $140 which really isn't too bad I think. Everything will be LEDS other than my headlights (Going with the ones @bcredeur97 suggested)

But it will be so nice to update everything to leds, tail lights, tag lights, blinkers, reverse lights, for lights. Everything. It will be so nice. I'm way more excited than I should be.

Anyone know how long LED bulbs should last for all of those applications?

Your welcome. Sorry I couldn't help you pick bulbs, I struggle with that myself. So many different sizes and some sources conflict with each other so it's very confusing. Especially on the little things

don't use LED's for your turn signals unless you  also wire up a resistor (I forget what size you have to use) to it. Because LED's have low resistance in most cars they flash really fast because the circuit relies on higher resistance. 

As for how long they will last... Depends... But they should last at least twice as long as the halogens providing there is nothing causing a premature failure. Also don't forget that polarity matters with LED's whereas it doesn't on halogens so make sure you test your install as you install it, especially if you took apart a bunch of things to get there. That way you don't have to take it all apart and flip the bulbs around lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Your welcome. Sorry I couldn't help you pick bulbs, I struggle with that myself. So many different sizes and some sources conflict with each other so it's very confusing. Especially on the little things

don't use LED's for your turn signals unless you  also wire up a resistor (I forget what size you have to use) to it. Because LED's have low resistance in most cars they flash really fast because the circuit relies on higher resistance. 

As for how long they will last... Depends... But they should last at least twice as long as the halogens providing there is nothing causing a premature failure. 

Didn't even think of that, would you by chance have a suggestion for what to use for blinkers? Does Philips make anything that would work you think?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Didn't even think of that, would you by chance have a suggestion for what to use for blinkers? Does Philips make anything that would work you think?

I don't think there's anything special that you need. You can get a clear bulb if the housing is amber or an amber bulb if the housing is clear. Philips has bulbs for a lot of things, I'm sure they do. But I never had to buy one so idk

also look at my edit about LED polarity 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I don't think there's anything special that you need. You can get a clear bulb if the housing is amber or an amber bulb if the housing is clear. Philips has bulbs for a lot of things, I'm sure they do. But I never had to buy one so idk

also look at my edit about LED polarity 

Alright, will do a bit of looking around for that. Didn't even think of the fact that blinkers need resistance to go at a proper rate, but that makes sense, considering when you blow a halogen one it does blink a lot faster

Edit: I guess I'll leave my blinkers alone for now, considering doing a LED upgrade would be a little more work then I'm wanting to do for something like that. Of course I'll end up doing the resistor for blinkers and go LED when my current ones blow out though

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Maybe you like aderol blinkers. :P 

Imagine having them hooked up to a light bar.

Raaaaaaaaaveeeeeeee

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Imagine having them hooked up to a light bar.

Raaaaaaaaaveeeeeeee

I mean, I want to wire up a small (7 or 12 inch) light bar and put it behind my grill (for giggles mostly but would actually be helpful when going camping and a few other things)

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I mean, I want to wire up a small (7 or 12 inch) light bar and put it behind my grill (for giggles mostly but would actually be helpful when going camping and a few other things)

Make it RGB. xD

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Make it RGB. xD

Do they actually make RGB ones? Hmm. Now I'm wondering

They do!

But it's a bit more pricy than I want to drop on something I won't really use often

http://millarlightbars.com/products/14-led-color-changing-light-bar

Yes but... Don't. I'd say get an Auxbeam branded one. The eBay ones don't have a proper seal on them. 

I planned on getting an Auxbeam one for the Saab

This one to be exact

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T7GYDTC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=262GBAUI21NXU&coliid=IHD5Y3G79CD6U&psc=1

I need to get a good mount for my phone or something, because if I put the ScanGauge in the only place I can think of it looking good in the Saab (In front of the shifter under the stereo) I'd lose basically my only place I can set my phone to be able to play music before I get my new headunit. 

Probably going to buy this for mounting my phone in the car (Magnet goes on the back of your phone or phone case and magic)

http://www.scosche.com/magicmount-pro-air-vent-phone-holder

Will that even fit behind the grill?

I think so, I need to go out and get actual measurements someday

I need to figure out how to mount the eBay ones I bought. Need to make a bracket. Which is hard. That's why it hasn't been done yet. 

Ask around in some local car groups (If you're part of any) and see if anyone else would recommend certain brackets or maybe a local place that can custom fab them to spec?

Curious as to what you all would have to input for this:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/691070-why-is-your-pet-an-idiot/

49 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Do they actually make RGB ones? Hmm. Now I'm wondering

They do!

But it's a bit more pricy than I want to drop on something I won't really use often

http://millarlightbars.com/products/14-led-color-changing-light-bar

I need one for the 86!

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Gotta do some research on where I'd go about running the vacuum line from on the 9-5. But I really really want a boost gauge. Probably won't get any until I have full bolt ons and am getting ready to get it tuned. I want to do everything I can, full turbo back exhaust, intake, bypass valve, delivery pipe, bigger intercooler, maybe a bigger turbo? There's stuff I'm probably not even thinking of right now that would make more sense to do before a boost gauge. Anything else I should add to my list?

Giggling at myself because when I first bought it I thought it would never be far from stock. Yeah that's not the case

10 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Mmmmmmmmmm

- TJ Hunt's BRZ -

I've been following him since like 30K subs. He already spent way too much money on it tbh.

5 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

DO EEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

1JDWZ7I.jpg

I'm number 1. The Saab is on half a tank and it's bothering me to no end

@MEC-777

Time to convince the wife to trade up :P

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

@warmmilk gosh the ride is so much quieter in my Miata with the new door bushings lol. You don't realize how much the doors rattle until you put them in lol

over bumps the car is nice and tight too. It's great

Spoiler

5 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Gotta do some research on where I'd go about running the vacuum line from on the 9-5. But I really really want a boost gauge.

I will give you all the info you'd need. I have done it.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

9 hours ago, terrytek said:

ok, you can redline a corolla with no problem because they were overengineered and they can be abused like hell and still run. that's what gave toyota their status. they have cars that run forever, even when abused to hell. but on some cars, like the protege, i'm worried to even rev past 5k bc it's never run that high like ever.

All manufacturer's over engineer their engines. They've all pretty much caught on to what works best for longevity (timing chains instead of belts etc.) and they all can take a cazy amount of abuse, or they would break down all the time. Some people are REALLY hard on their cars. Flooring it to get up to speed or get up a hill from time to time, even on a daily basis is nothing for it as long as it's maintained properly. <--- that is the biggest factor, IMO.

6 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Giggling at myself because when I first bought it I thought it would never be far from stock. Yeah that's not the case

Said every car guy ever. :P I said the same thing when I got the Golf. Now it has full downpipe/exhaust, intake and now I'm calling around asking about getting a tune that will see gains of 60-70hp... ;) Even told myself I would stop after the tune, but then I found myself looking up K04 turbos and FMIC kits... It is a sickness, no doubt. lol

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

1JDWZ7I.jpg

I'm definitely the 2nd type. Run it till the light comes on with almost every tank. My sister-in-law is the first type and it makes us all laugh because she will panic when she gets to 1/2 a tank - she drives a Prius! xD 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS