Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Anyone else here is a fan of iRacing? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

2 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

Anyone else here is a fan of iRacing? 

Can't say I have never played it but there is a thread dedicated to "sim" racing (in quotes because some of the stuff we talk about I would not consider it sim racing) 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

5 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

Can't say I have never played it but there is a thread dedicated to "sim" racing (in quotes because some of the stuff we talk about I would not consider it sim racing) 

ok thanks ... ill hop on there and check it out

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

This was my left front wheel. What's up with the weird "peeling up" on the inside of the tread?

image.jpeg

Those were new tires 3 events ago. Amazing what AutoX does to the tread lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

20 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

try some claybar and wax. takes a little while but should look almost good as new. Mine is dirty right now so it doesn't look much better than yours. So don't expect to be impressed tommorow seeing my dirty miata on the same steelies the corolla was on lol

It's not that. It happens right before I press the clutch in. Sometimes a little earlier than others. It's just at the top of the rpm range the belts start to lose grip for some reason lol. I fooled with it today and held it near redline for a bit and the chirp turned to a squeal.

Meh, clay and wax is way to much work for this car... 5-10 min wash plus dry the windows is the most attention in willing to give cleaning it

9 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Miata is ready. They put me in STS because the wheels are .5 in smaller :( lol

image.jpeg

This is exactly the reason I hate autox classing... Stupid upgrades (or downgrade in this case) that have no affect on autox time can put you in a class that could have you going against cars that have a 100k in mods

52 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

This was my left front wheel. What's up with the weird "peeling up" on the inside of the tread?

image.jpeg

Those were new tires 3 events ago. Amazing what AutoX does to the tread lol

Haha, well this isn't exactly an autox tire... It's a good street tire. An autox tire will take the abuse better

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Is there some sort of secret to never stalling in a car you're driving for the first time? I mean, I'm not bad at driving standard or anything but sometimes the clutches in different cars vary a lot, some engage immediately, some engage halfway or have a long travel, some engage at the very end, etc. Hate stalling when I'm driving a nice car, makes me seem like a n00b even though I can drive standard fine.

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Is there some sort of secret to never stalling in a car you're driving for the first time? I mean, I'm not bad at driving standard or anything but sometimes the clutches in different cars vary a lot, some engage immediately, some engage halfway or have a long travel, some engage at the very end, etc. Hate stalling when I'm driving a nice car, makes me seem like a n00b even though I can drive standard fine.

It's called automatic transmission.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

6 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I'll usually feel out the bite spot a few times before pulling out.  This doesn't exactly work out if the car has a puck clutch though.  On those it's probably just going to be chirp city.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

3 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

It's called automatic transmission.

Haha, very funny....

2 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

I'll usually feel out the bite spot a few times before pulling out.  This doesn't exactly work out if the car has a puck clutch though.  On those it's probably just going to be chirp city.

So just let out the clutch really slow then? And just pump the gas a few times or what?

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

Haha, very funny....

Thank you

best-bowing-gif-777.gif

Always here to help xD 

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

So just let out the clutch really slow then? And just pump the gas a few times or what?

More throttle? And, yes, be careful with the clutch, you might take longer to take off, but at least you won't stall and look like a knob. xD

*giving driving advice with no license and 15 minutes of driving*

9 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Basically before I leave the parking spot I slowly let the clutch out a few times until I feel the clutch start to grab then press the clutch all the way back in.  That way I know where the bite spot is in the clutch pedal travel.  Then as I'm leaving I feather the clutch out slowly without giving gas to find out how firm that bite is before I even start giving it gas.  Bottom line is I test the clutch in the parking area in ways that are likely to stall it so that I know what not to do on the road.  haha

48 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

Meh, clay and wax is way to much work for this car... 5-10 min wash plus dry the windows is the most attention in willing to give cleaning it

This is exactly the reason I hate autox classing... Stupid upgrades (or downgrade in this case) that have no affect on autox time can put you in a class that could have you going against cars that have a 100k in mods

Haha, well this isn't exactly an autox tire... It's a good street tire. An autox tire will take the abuse better

Lol why not? I'm sure it'll look good still lol

yeah the classing kinda stinks. Turns out I wasn't even supposed to be in STS since I had a Torsen Diff which puts me in STR next time (they let it slide). Which STR has those people in the highly modified S2000's that come every once in a while and have been to nationals and stuff. Scary. I don't think I could match them. Miata simply isn't as good as an S2000 I don't believe so I don't know if I could ever really beat them. Maybe idk. But other than them usually no one ends up in that class so I would be all alone :( so stupid. I buy a car so I can be competitive with others and then turns out I can't be competitive at all. Grrrr

Lol is there anything I can do to those tires? I mean will that affect anything? Should I drive around normally with them for a little while to smooth out the tread or something?

also today I found that I need new brakes for sure. Confident stopping was hard from the beginning. It's like there was plenty of pedal pressure but the brakes didn't do much. It caught me extremely off guard my first run when I went flying through some cones at the end of the first straight on the second right hander. ? I got it on video too it was pretty hillarious

funny how we were able to keep up despite the bad brakes though. And the smaller wheels and tires. And stock non-sport suspension. But we had a Torsen diff! xD 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Photo dump incoming. Pics were too zoomed out for the most part :/ but whatever at least I got pics this time.

Had to upload on imgur because phone kept complaining about 20mb limit even for a single pic...

Spoiler

Ok im sorry but on my first run of the day I failed so hard. Im dying right now watching it. Had to upload it and share. 

(as per the title it's around 0:15 but just watch it lol)

My gosh I think that versa I drove on R-Comps messed with my head xD 

But also too as you guys can see the vibrations are so bad... I don't really think the footage is usable. the windshield mount is just too unstable on a car without a roof. 

Spoiler

@MEC-777 So as much fun as the Honda Indy Toronto is for racing, it's utter hell for photography. Though the shots I got may say otherwise, it was definitely far from easy.

But there was this thing.

And 10 hours elapsed of hard-ish work.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

47 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Lol why not? I'm sure it'll look good still lol

yeah the classing kinda stinks. Turns out I wasn't even supposed to be in STS since I had a Torsen Diff which puts me in STR next time (they let it slide). Which STR has those people in the highly modified S2000's that come every once in a while and have been to nationals and stuff. Scary. I don't think I could match them. Miata simply isn't as good as an S2000 I don't believe so I don't know if I could ever really beat them. Maybe idk. But other than them usually no one ends up in that class so I would be all alone :( so stupid. I buy a car so I can be competitive with others and then turns out I can't be competitive at all. Grrrr

Lol is there anything I can do to those tires? I mean will that affect anything? Should I drive around normally with them for a little while to smooth out the tread or something?

also today I found that I need new brakes for sure. Confident stopping was hard from the beginning. It's like there was plenty of pedal pressure but the brakes didn't do much. It caught me extremely off guard my first run when I went flying through some cones at the end of the first straight on the second right hander. ? I got it on video too it was pretty hillarious

funny how we were able to keep up despite the bad brakes though. And the smaller wheels and tires. And stock non-sport suspension. But we had a Torsen diff! xD 

Yeah, s2k are killer at autox, they're in stock A class whereas Miata is like E or F...  Once these tires wear out you can get stock size wheel or just put good tires on your stock wheels and then you'll be back in a more competitive class... idk, I just always run time only class and compare raw times to other cars...

tires are fine, driving them on the street to smooth them out won't do anything for performance or tire life.

yeah, confidence in brakes can do a lot for your time...  Are you still on the pads that you bought it with? 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

3 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

Yeah, s2k are killer at autox, they're in stock A class whereas Miata is like E or F...  Once these tires wear out you can get stock size wheel or just put good tires on your stock wheels and then you'll be back in a more competitive class... idk, I just always run time only class and compare raw times to other cars...

tires are fine, driving them on the street to smooth them out won't do anything for performance or tire life.

yeah, confidence in brakes can do a lot for your time...  Are you still on the pads that you bought it with? 

Yeah idk what i'll do. matt had an idea that we both could invest in my car and we'll just both drive it at events since he has a truck now. Sounded quite generous being it's my car. We could probably do a few things to it but I just dont think it would be enough for STR. My miata is normally in E street but again the other problem is not many people show up and you know sometimes you just want to put something other than stock suspension on your car xD 

sigh :/ 

What I want to see is what times people are getting in SM. Who knows maybe we could put some fat R-comps on the thing and actually compete in SM xD

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Is the f150 Matts? I thought he got a GMC...

No Matt had the GMC Sierra parked in front of my Miata in the lot.

the lifted and tuned ecoboost F150 was owned by some kid that I've never seen before. He was incredibly slow lol. Lit the tires up and got sideways a lot though lol

he even had it in 4WD... Supoosedly he was pushing 450hp and 550 tq (he had it dyno'd he said). Everyone was surprised he didn't break it when he put it in 4WD. 

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah idk what i'll do. matt had an idea that we both could invest in my car and we'll just both drive it at events since he has a truck now. Sounded quite generous being it's my car. We could probably do a few things to it but I just dont think it would be enough for STR. My miata is normally in E street but again the other problem is not many people show up and you know sometimes you just want to put something other than stock suspension on your car xD 

sigh :/ 

What I want to see is what times people are getting in SM. Who knows maybe we could put some fat R-comps on the thing and actually compete in SM xD

if Matt chips in you can prolly have a pretty decently competitive car...  I mean if your going SM, some good coilovers and Hoosier A7's will get you pretty far...

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Photo dump incoming. Pics were too zoomed out for the most part :/ but whatever at least I got pics this time.

Reveal hidden contents

Had to upload on imgur because phone kept complaining about 20mb limit even for a single pic...

Just noticed your course is on an air field too.  The one near me is on an old air field.  Holy crap the traction on that surface.  It eats tires for all 3 courses and snacks.  Nothing like driving on broken up sea shells sticking out of pavement.  haha

4 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Just noticed your course is on an air field too.  The one near me is on an old air field.  Holy crap the traction on that surface.  It eats tires for all 3 courses and snacks.  Nothing like driving on broken up sea shells sticking out of pavement.  haha

well it's at a parking lot at an airfield. So not exactly on the airfield. But the concrete is very grippy 

I can't really say how much it eats tires. Doesn't seem to bad as I still have plenty of tread left on the Sport comp-2's.

Spoiler

@bcredeur97

did they happen to say what this car was because i have seen it before but i cant put my finger on exactly which make.

Vt5SnA4.jpg

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/