Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Has infiniti fixed the steering in the Q50 yet? I remember a lot of people complaining about it on the first year model. Something about it being completely numb and dumb and the "steering modes" just did goofy things that didn't make any sense lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@vetali should I change the oil immediately after putting my car back together or run it a bit before or what? Do I even need to change it? I mean I just put oil in the car last weekend lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vetali should I change the oil immediately after putting my car back together or run it a bit before or what? Do I even need to change it? I mean I just put oil in the car last weekend lol

Don't even turn it on before draining and refilling. Too much crud and water get into the oil when doing jobs like this. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

Don't even turn it on before draining and refilling. Too much crud and water get into the oil when doing jobs like this. 

figured. Ok, thanks. 

Ive completely lost track of how much I've spent so far. I just gave up mid way and decided I would add it all up after lol

Spoiler

@vetali I can theoretically reuse the oil filter though? Lol

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

figured. Ok, thanks. 

Ive completely lost track of how much I've spent so far. I just gave up mid way and decided I would add it all up after lol

Pic updates of your miata?

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

figured. Ok, thanks. 

Probably still could beat my co worker that spent 5 hours just removing the turbo in a 7.3 powerstroke. Like 2 hours in he starts exclaiming "I finally got it out!" and I expected the turbo to be out... nope it was just the manifold. Which I had taken off in 20 minutes to diagnose an oil leak a few weeks back. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Cheapo

Its not that... It's just that it's a pain to get to and it makes a mess lol

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

Probably still could beat my co worker that spent 5 hours just removing the turbo in a 7.3 powerstroke. Like 2 hours in he starts exclaiming "I finally got it out!" and I expected the turbo to be out... nope it was just the manifold. Which I had taken off in 20 minutes to diagnose an oil leak a few weeks back. 

lol but probably it could just be a cramped bay. but since you said it took you only 20 mins to take off the manifold, maybe it's just his shall i say stupidity that took him a while.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 minutes ago, BOT Edward said:

Pic updates of your miata?

How it sits now minus water pump which I removed after the head:

image.jpeg

and and the cylinder head I got back from machine shop today: 

image.jpeg

looks like they didn't quite clean all the carbon off by the valves. Probably useless but I might go at it a bit just because it erks me. (The probably didn't put much into cleaning because I made them take the cams off and put them back on because I didn't want to do it xD) 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

looks like they didn't quite clean all the carbon off by the valves. Probably useless but I might go at it a bit just because it erks me. (The probably didn't put much into cleaning because I made them take the cams off and put them back on because I didn't want to do it xD) 

have you ever thought about upgrading the headers in your car? could sound a bit nicer, and look nicer too. plus, some extra power. not much, but some extra.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

7 minutes ago, vetali said:

Holy cow. That's a long time. I probably spent 5 hours in total getting my head off while just taking my time. Lol

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

lol but probably it could just be a cramped bay. but since you said it took you only 20 mins to take off the manifold, maybe it's just his shall i say stupidity that took him a while.

7.3l powestroke is pretty basic. Could be overwhelming to someone new to diesels. I started out on a 6.0l EGR delete, so not much sympathy for him from me. 

Hes new, but stupid. My boss and I had a little talk about the situation today. I was maybe just as slow, however I picked up on stuff fairly fast and got better. I remember by week 3 I was doing headgaskets and motor pulls, meanwhile its into week 2 with this guy and we can't trust him to do an oil change right. 

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

For the amount you are spending on the motor wouldnt you be better off getting a 2nd hand one? i.e. the car was a write-off but motor is OK?

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

7.3l powestroke is pretty basic. Could be overwhelming to someone new to diesels. I started out on a 6.0l EGR delete, so not much sympathy for him from me. 

Hes new, but stupid. My boss and I had a little talk about the situation today. I was maybe just as slow, however I picked up on stuff fairly fast and got better. I remember by week 3 I was doing headgaskets and motor pulls, meanwhile its into week 2 with this guy and we can't trust him to do an oil change right. 

Wtf, clearly he isn't qualified at all... how did he get hired?

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

They just hot tanked it. So yeah not gonna clean carbon off rough surfaces. That things just gonna carbon back up after a few hundred miles lol. 

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Holy cow. That's a long time. I probably spent 5 hours in total getting my head off while just taking my time. Lol

Took me 5 hours to remove that cruiser head. And that was with some issues. Lots of room for improvement on this one. 

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

They just hot tanked it. So yeah not gonna clean carbon off rough surfaces. That things just gonna carbon back up after a few hundred miles lol. 

Took me 5 hours to remove that cruiser head. And that was with some issues. Lots of room for improvement on this one. 

Why will it carbon back up after only a few hundred miles? 

That cruiser head would of taken me a while lol

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, BOT Edward said:

Wtf, clearly he isn't qualified at all... how did he get hired?

Thats what I was talking to my boss about today. He says he went through the same program as me. Its pretty clear he hasn't. He'll just scan a code and suggest replacing whatever the code relates to. I think my boss is gonna request seeing his certificates / degree. 

He did another dumb thing today unrelated to repair. Snap on guy pulled up, and he wanted a flashlight. I told him to get a streamlight stinger. We all use them and they're amazing flashlights. They're too expensive for him, like 200 dollars for a flashlight + 2 rechargeable batteries and a dock. So instead he spends 120 dollars on some pos flashlight that uses disposable batteries. We explain to him that he can make weekly payments that don't have interest. But nope, he buys that overpriced gimp flashlight you could get from a hardware store for 20 dollars. 

1 hour ago, Maybach123 said:

oh that makes more sense. I think the g37 has it but i could be wrong (i dont work on that car). If it does i haven't notice much lag with the system.

Helps save your brakes instead of trying to slow the car down you just don't let it go as fast. :D

11 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Why will it carbon back up after only a few hundred miles? 

That cruiser head would of taken me a while lol

Cause its right in the combustion chamber. The intake will also carbon back up after a few hundred cause of the pcv. 

10 minutes ago, vetali said:

Thats what I was talking to my boss about today. He says he went through the same program as me. Its pretty clear he hasn't. He'll just scan a code and suggest replacing whatever the code relates to. I think my boss is gonna request seeing his certificates / degree. 

He did another dumb thing today unrelated to repair. Snap on guy pulled up, and he wanted a flashlight. I told him to get a streamlight stinger. We all use them and they're amazing flashlights. They're too expensive for him, like 200 dollars for a flashlight + 2 rechargeable batteries and a dock. So instead he spends 120 dollars on some pos flashlight that uses disposable batteries. We explain to him that he can make weekly payments that don't have interest. But nope, he buys that overpriced gimp flashlight you could get from a hardware store for 20 dollars. 

yeah I have a similar thing but with IT. The guy next to me claims to have an advanced diploma yet is completely baffled by a simple issue with outlook...

I think your boss asking to see his degree would be worthwhile, you can be fired for lying on an application 

1 minute ago, BOT Edward said:

yeah I have a similar thing but with IT. The guy next to me claims to have an advanced diploma yet is completely baffled by a simple issue with outlook...

I think your boss asking to see his degree would be worthwhile, you can be fired for lying on an application 

You can be fired for being terrible as well. A degree or certification ain't gonna save you in that department. 

If all goes well this will begin to call my driveway home sometime soon

IuUHuJX.jpg

heQ6lkd.jpg

OBADo91.jpg

XWR3OBs.jpg

sP6Zhrv.jpg

Been very well taken care of, not too beaten up, done a few of the things I'd look to do (SH wheels, intake, lights, lip kit, spoiler) Stuff of that nature. I'm so damn excited

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

17 minutes ago, vetali said:

Cause its right in the combustion chamber. The intake will also carbon back up after a few hundred cause of the pcv. 

Are you saying I need to replace the PCV valve or something? 

I just dont don't understand why it would carbon up so fast when this was my friend's motor in his mustang after 9k miles (and a thrown rod but irrelevant lol)image.jpeg

he has like not a single spec of carbon lol. Why is mine so bad that it will be like it was after only a few hundred miles?

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, vetali said:

You can be fired for being terrible as well. A degree or certification ain't gonna save you in that department. 

here in aus its a little more difficult... you really need a solid reason. being "not good enough" isnt enough, the employer has to prove that they have provided adequate training and allowed enough time to learn the ins and outs.