Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

The idle on those were ridiculous by itself.

Though I stilled loved cammed ones more. :wub:

Which is why i want one^^ 

Imagine pulling up at the lights with that. Nobody would have the balls to race you xD

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Imagine pulling up at the lights with that. Nobody would have the balls to race you xD

You'll still have the few people that would but you win by default with sound alone. :D

You'll still have the few people that would but you win by default with sound alone. :D

When they still want to race

1ed40df0024b8d41870b86894ec8630e.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I'd still race. Even though I know I'd lose. Just to see what the performance is like. Then pull over and talk to the owner about cars and stuff of that nature

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I really like cars from the 50's and such. Some older sports cars look really good. When i get older i might buy one in order to repair it. I'd yave the coolest car when most of my friends would have bought cheap used ones.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Omg... Just saw a Peugeot 206 in Lousiana. Such an easy car not to notice but I noticed it and the guy saw me and smiled lol

How on earth did he get that here?!

Why isn't it compliant? Sounds like average small car to me...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Why isn't it compliant? Sounds like average small car to me...

Believe it or not, American emissions and crash ratings are much higher than European standards. Not all European manufacturers are willing to go through the extra expense to get into the American market; Peugeot is one of them. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

well, no datsun 280C for me. (checked the plates, that car has a shady past...)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

seriously. such music to my ears.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Those grey pneumatic sockets are awesome. Bought them after watching his review. Use them as my main 3/8s sockets. Only cracked one and I was doing something that you shouldn't do with it anyway.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

It never occurred to me that combination wrenches and the three different sizes of socket/ratchet were almost always sold separately. I've got a full complement of wrenches and all three different socket sizes in both shallow and deep well all in the same kit. Harbor Freight kit. They're not the best, but I've only screwed two of them up, and those are the only two missing, and they're not rusted to shit. I've also got some misc craftsman sockets and wrenches that I really should get around to putting in that case in place of the HF ones, just haven't gotten around to it.

i wouldn't get craftsman anymore. they shipped all their manufacturing to china. i like craftsman, only when they're made in the good ol' usa.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

i wouldn't get craftsman anymore. they shipped all their manufacturing to china. i like craftsman, only when they're made in the good ol' usa.

Craftsman stuff has been made in China for a looooooong time. I have a few Craftsman tools that are older than almost every member of this thread and they're still going strong.

It's metal, if they use quality metal it's a quality product. Location doesn't change that. ;)

I used to buy a lot of Craftsman tools when you could still get the US made sockets and wrenches. 

Over the last five or six years I have moved to Proto tools. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

ok, so now we're on the topic of hand tools, is there a company who still makes sockets and wrenches in America? it seems like every company has moved manufacturing overseas, just to save fucking money.

Craftsman stuff has been made in China for a looooooong time. I have a few Craftsman tools that are older than almost every member of this thread and they're still going strong.

It's metal, if they use quality metal it's a quality product. Location doesn't change that. ;)

There have been many lines and quality levels of craftsman tools. Craftsman wrenches and sockets have only been made exclusively overseas since 2010.

Beginning in 2010, hand tools manufactured for Craftsman by Apex Tool Group such as ratchets, sockets, and wrenches began being produced overseas (mainly in China although some are produced in Taiwan), while tools produced for Craftsman by Western Forge such as adjustable wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers and larger mechanic tool sets remain made in the United States. Sears still has an Industrial line which is sold through various authorized distributors and these tools are US made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_(tools)

ok, so now we're on the topic of hand tools, is there a company who still makes sockets and wrenches in America? it seems like every company has moved manufacturing overseas, just to save fucking money.

Proto, and SK are the biggies, assuming you dont want to pay Snap-on or Mac prices. 

There have been many lines and quality levels of craftsman tools. Craftsman wrenches and sockets have only been made exclusively overseas since 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_(tools)

ok, i guess that's good for me, because i still have american made sockets and ratchets.

Proto, and SK are the biggies, assuming you dont want to pay Snap-on or Mac prices. 

are snap on any good?

And there have been Craftsman tools made in China and they're not bad at all especially factoring in the price.

My point is that if it's quality metal, it'll be a quality tool. Look for that instead of location of production. I like America as much as the next guy but if there's a great tool for the money, I don't really care where it's built, so long as it's good and lasts me a long time

ok, i guess that's good for me, because i still have american made sockets and ratchets.

are snap on any good?

The vast majority of my Craftsman sockets and all wrenches are US made. 

Yes, they are excellent, but demand a hefty price tag. 

Edit: I found this article after a brief google search:

http://toolguyd.com/usa-wrenches-ratchets-sockets-brands/

And there have been Craftsman tools made in China and they're not bad at all especially factoring in the price.

My point is that if it's quality metal, it'll be a quality tool. Look for that instead of location of production. I like America as much as the next guy but if there's a great tool for the money, I don't really care where it's built, so long as it's good and lasts me a long time

The problem with Chinese manufacturing is the very low levels of Quality Control. One batch might be very good while the next is not so much. 

You do get what you pay for. 

It never occurred to me that combination wrenches and the three different sizes of socket/ratchet were almost always sold separately. I've got a full complement of wrenches and all three different socket sizes in both shallow and deep well all in the same kit. Harbor Freight kit. They're not the best, but I've only screwed two of them up, and those are the only two missing, and they're not rusted to shit. I've also got some misc craftsman sockets and wrenches that I really should get around to putting in that case in place of the HF ones, just haven't gotten around to it.

90% of the time I use metric, even on standard unless its something that has some serious torque like head bolts.

Sometimes the tool guys have metric and standard bundles for sale. But thats like 400 dollars for that. I use matco sockets for 1/2 metric and grey pneumatic for 1/2 standard. My standard 3/8s are still craftsman and my 1/4 sockets are all craftsman.

I have a small set of snap on combo wrenches, with the rest being gear wrenches. If I need a bigger combo wrench I just use my bosses. Thats like the next thing I gotta buy.

At home they're perfectly fine where you aren't likely to be using impact. Even harbor freight... they aren't bad for general use or specialty tools you use rarely. Even those grey pneumatic sockets are made in Taiwan and I abuse the hell out of them (example, my 3/8s gun is almost 500 ft lb of break torque.) They take a beating.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

The problem with Chinese manufacturing is the very low levels of Quality Control. One batch might be very good while the next is not so much. 

You do get what you pay for. 

True, but in the decades of these tools existing, and I do have a couple new ones from China. I haven't really had any problems at all. I think the biggest problem I've ever had with a tool from China is the coating on the metal for sockets chipping off. That's about it. Never had any problems with them gouging or stripping. 'cept the shitty Stanley magnetic screw drivers. Fuck those things.

True, but in the decades of these tools existing, and I do have a couple new ones from China. I haven't really had any problems at all. I think the biggest problem I've ever had with a tool from China is the coating on the metal for sockets chipping off. That's about it. Never had any problems with them gouging or stripping. 'cept the shitty Stanley magnetic screw drivers. Fuck those things.

Extensions are what I usually break. I have broken three or four Chinese Craftsman extensions, granted usually after some impact abuse. What I do like about Craftsman tools is that when I do break one I can simply walk back into the nearest sears and get another one no questions asked. 

Worst experience with chinese tools was harbor freight line wrenches. They wouldn't flex too much, which was nice. Just all the sudden one would break and you bust your knuckles. After the 3rd or 4th time I threw em out and bought snap on line wrenches.

Extensions are what I usually break. I have broken three or four Chinese Craftsman extensions, granted usually after some impact abuse. What I do like about Craftsman tools is that when I do break one I can simply walk back into the nearest sears and get another one no questions asked.

Not here lmao. My co-worker still uses lots of craftsman stuff. When it breaks they give him a run around. He was a big fan of the professional series screwdrivers. Broke one and they were like "sorry dude we don't make these anymore." Wouldn't even give him the "new" version.