Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Not a Corolla, nor an LS. But here's a different small car with a massive engine.

4.2L is massive? :o

That's the equivalent of strapping a jet pack to a bicycle lol 

System: Thinkpad T460

That's the equivalent of strapping a jet pack to a bicycle lol 

Yeah compared to the car it might be large but displacement wise it's not what should be considered "massive." :P

MKIII Supra N/A vs. 1995 Mustang V6. go.

If i could swap to a proper front end on the mustang then mustang

Otherwise MKIII

okay, new question. Supra MKIII vs MR2 AW11. go.

I know they're different cars, but cmon here. looking for 0-60, as well as which is faster around a track.

MKIII The AW11 is too small for me

these actually work.  they're quite popular with European cars, especially with people who track or autox them and need more direct throttle control and not the delayed DBW that a lot of modern Euro cars have...  not saying only Euro cars have this, but its definitely more common with them.

If they actually work i might consider one for my golf. (Throttle response measured in minutes instead of milliseconds)

When i looked at it i immediately thought of the ebay performance chips though

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Kia Rio RX WRC. One of my favorite drivers will be racing it soon, Gigi Galli. And I love Kia too, even if people think they're shit.

Owned several Kias and they are fantastic cars.

man, the really need to build in some anti dive geometry... it dives hard under braking

another motor i would love to swap in would be a 1uz-fe. but because california, to make it legal i would need to use the slush box auto from the ls400 also. Not down for that xD

any particular reason other then to be different? its big (physically), heavy, doesn't make all that great power, aftermarket for it is pretty much non existent...

A Nissan VH/VK is another option I learned about recently. A version VK was used in Nissan's R35 racecar. Also, apparently Nissan sold the engine design to McLaren, who modified it and still uses in all their cars (P1, 650s, 12c, etc.) That wouldn't be a bad option either. :D They're pretty cheap on eBay.

really? where are you getting this from? can you provide a source?  it doesn't really make sense to me... the McLaren engines are 3.8 liters, VK are on the big side, 4.5 to 5.6... the VH is smaller but its a really old design, doesn't make sense to me that McLaren would by nissans 2+ decade engine design to put into cutting edge super / hyper cars...  Hell, even the VK is old by those standards.  only way I'll believe this is if you provide a reputable source, otherwise I call BS

they do make a manual to go with the 1uz and 3uz, they are just super rare. (sc400, sc430)

400's never came with manuals, only the 300's... and then lexus repeated history with the IS250/350, the 250 was available with a manual (stupidly underpowered for a car of that weight for any kinda enthusiastic driving) while the 350 (great match for the chassis) was stuck with only the auto...

wikipedia says 365 at 3k. but to me, numbers don't matter compared to the quality of sound it makes. I don't want a car that would make anybody's ears bleed. I want a car that is refined in a way, sounds actually really good to my ears, and still have power. i mean even if it has only 400hp and 365 lb ft of torque, for a 4000 lb car, 4.7 secs 0-60 is actually really impressive

so... um... oops :D  

I had a brain fart and was thinking the S62 was the V8 that came in the e9x M3's...  now that we're on the same page, yes the S62 is a plenty torquey engine.  But the LS is still smaller and lighter... and it can make a ton more torque with a simple $600 cam upgrade that can be installed in 15 min's by someone that know's what they're doing. where as the S62 you're looking at 1k+ plus who know's how much to install or hours and hours of your own time if you install it...

that being said, an S62 would be a great swap too.  but unless its a $ no object situation, the LS is always gonna be the best choice if you wanna put a V8 into something, and a lot of times its still the best choice even if it is a $ no object thing.  Thats if performance is your goal.  Here are some reasons why

-physically small, smaller then most production V6's, and its short (top to bottom).  this means its easier to mount, you can mount it lower and further back (further back kinda depends which engine its replacing), this means lower center of gravity and more central weight front to back

-light weight, again, lighter then most production V6's, even some of 4 bangers...  hell, even RX7's only gain about 50 lb with the swap, and most of the is the transmission.  lighter is always better.

-simple american V8 thats in millions of vehicles. this means easy parts availability, your local parts store will have what you need 99 times out of a 100, any local mom&pop shop can work on it if shit hits the fan and you're out in the middle of nowhere (this factor is mostly if you're in US/Canada)

-easy to make power, doesn't take a guru to tune it, doesn't need any special sauce to run well...

-aftermarket for it.. well... I'm about 90% sure there's no other engine that can match it for aftermarket support... anyone have any ideas?

-professionally raced with factory backing.  you can buy engines directly from the company (Katech) that builds the engine for GM's race efforts.  and as far as race engines go, they're flat out cheap (keep in mind, these are LeMans level engines here). 

-professionally raced by private teams in big name series.  this (and the previous two reasons) means you can build a reliable LS for whatever kinda application you need, either 2000hp drag engine or a 600+ hp reliable road race engine, for a very competitive price

-its already been swapped into tons of cars, so chances are there's already some info out there for what you're doing. or at least similar.

-it came from the factory with many different transmissions, accessory (alternator, power steering, etc) packages, and oil pans (not to mention aftermarket options), so you can play legos to find the combo you need to fit in the car you're putting it in

(i'm bored and can't sleep, can you tell? :D

And it doesn't sound nearly as good @ idle....  

I like both... its not like you're only allowed to like one.. they're different but both sound good in their own way, why limit yourself?

I'm willing to bet physically is bigger than an LS :D

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

NFoJJgn.gif

That I wouldn't know. Hell I don't know the dimensions of any engine.

NFoJJgn.gif

Here's a pro-tip some people may not realize: If there's a cop behind you, don't run a red light.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

That hasn't gone quite as well as he's hoped  :D

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

man, the really need to build in some anti dive geometry... it dives hard under braking

any particular reason other then to be different? its big (physically), heavy, doesn't make all that great power, aftermarket for it is pretty much non existent...

really? where are you getting this from? can you provide a source?  it doesn't really make sense to me... the McLaren engines are 3.8 liters, VK are on the big side, 4.5 to 5.6... the VH is smaller but its a really old design, doesn't make sense to me that McLaren would by nissans 2+ decade engine design to put into cutting edge super / hyper cars...  Hell, even the VK is old by those standards.  only way I'll believe this is if you provide a reputable source, otherwise I call BS

400's never came with manuals, only the 300's... and then lexus repeated history with the IS250/350, the 250 was available with a manual (stupidly underpowered for a car of that weight for any kinda enthusiastic driving) while the 350 (great match for the chassis) was stuck with only the auto...

so... um... oops :D

I had a brain fart and was thinking the S62 was the V8 that came in the e9x M3's...  now that we're on the same page, yes the S62 is a plenty torquey engine.  But the LS is still smaller and lighter... and it can make a ton more torque with a simple $600 cam upgrade that can be installed in 15 min's by someone that know's what they're doing. where as the S62 you're looking at 1k+ plus who know's how much to install or hours and hours of your own time if you install it...

that being said, an S62 would be a great swap too.  but unless its a $ no object situation, the LS is always gonna be the best choice if you wanna put a V8 into something, and a lot of times its still the best choice even if it is a $ no object thing.  Thats if performance is your goal.  Here are some reasons why

-physically small, smaller then most production V6's, and its short (top to bottom).  this means its easier to mount, you can mount it lower and further back (further back kinda depends which engine its replacing), this means lower center of gravity and more central weight front to back

-light weight, again, lighter then most production V6's, even some of 4 bangers...  hell, even RX7's only gain about 50 lb with the swap, and most of the is the transmission.  lighter is always better.

-simple american V8 thats in millions of vehicles. this means easy parts availability, your local parts store will have what you need 99 times out of a 100, any local mom&pop shop can work on it if shit hits the fan and you're out in the middle of nowhere (this factor is mostly if you're in US/Canada)

-easy to make power, doesn't take a guru to tune it, doesn't need any special sauce to run well...

-aftermarket for it.. well... I'm about 90% sure there's no other engine that can match it for aftermarket support... anyone have any ideas?

-professionally raced with factory backing.  you can buy engines directly from the company (Katech) that builds the engine for GM's race efforts.  and as far as race engines go, they're flat out cheap (keep in mind, these are LeMans level engines here). 

-professionally raced by private teams in big name series.  this (and the previous two reasons) means you can build a reliable LS for whatever kinda application you need, either 2000hp drag engine or a 600+ hp reliable road race engine, for a very competitive price

-its already been swapped into tons of cars, so chances are there's already some info out there for what you're doing. or at least similar.

-it came from the factory with many different transmissions, accessory (alternator, power steering, etc) packages, and oil pans (not to mention aftermarket options), so you can play legos to find the combo you need to fit in the car you're putting it in

(i'm bored and can't sleep, can you tell? :D

I like both... its not like you're only allowed to like one.. they're different but both sound good in their own way, why limit yourself?

That it does... I would say firm up the suspension damping and put a little more brake bias to the rear. It has some good suspension travel but it compresses too far.

Here's a pro-tip some people may not realize: If there's a cop behind you, don't run a red light.

Here's a pro-tip some people may not realize: don't run a red light.

That hasn't gone quite as well as he's hoped  :D

Yeah but now everyone else knows the ice isn't thick enough. :D

Here's a pro-tip some people may not realize: don't run a red light.

Yeah but now everyone else knows the ice isn't thick enough. :D

Before every ice race on the lake near here they get out on the ice with one of these

NILSMASTER-UR.jpg

Costs a bit less than a sinking car  :lol:

That it does... I would say firm up the suspension damping and put a little more brake bias to the rear. It has some good suspension travel but it compresses too far.

with a rally car you wanna keep suspension travel, firming up the damping can be counter productive with that... solution here should be antidive geometry, not stiffening springs or dampers

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

with a rally car you wanna keep suspension travel, firming up the damping can be counter productive with that... solution here should be antidive geometry, not stiffening springs or dampers

Yes I know, but they should have the suspension travel limited to where the car sits normally down to where the A-arms basically hang loose. They compress far too much past the point where the suspension sits while the car is standing still. But yes, anti-dive geometry would be the best solution, as I suppose it is well suited for jumps just like in his shakedown.

Before every ice race on the lake near here they get out on the ice with one of these

Costs a bit less than a sinking car  :lol:

But where's the fun in that? :P

But where's the fun in that? :P

A funny story related to this 

My mom has a friend in this town that told her this story about her husband

They were driving home from the supermarket with the car fully loaded with groceries.

And suddenly the husband says "Lets take a shortcut!"

So he turns down onto the next dirt road and drives down to the lake

And then he proceeds to drive rather quickly down to the ice. Clearly expecting the ice to handle the weight of his car.

But of course it doesn't so essentially what he did was drive straight down into the lake.

They both made it out fine and saved 90% of the groceries. But his wife wasn't happy  :lol:

Neither was the car. since the engine was completely submerged

A funny story related to this 

My mom has a friend in this town that told her this story about her husband

They were driving home from the supermarket with the car fully loaded with groceries.

And suddenly the husband says "Lets take a shortcut!"

So he turns down onto the next dirt road and drives down to the lake

And then he proceeds to drive rather quickly down to the ice. Clearly expecting the ice to handle the weight of his car.

But of course it doesn't so essentially what he did was drive straight down into the lake.

They both made it out fine and saved 90% of the groceries. But his wife wasn't happy  :lol:

Neither was the car. since the engine was completely submerged

I don't think I'd ever drive over a lake like that, too scared of freezing and drowning. :P

I don't think I'd ever drive over a lake like that, too scared of freezing and drowning. :P

When the ice has been checked and prepped then it is a lot of fun^^ 

Spiked tyres are a must though

You have to realize how not-big the VW Lupo is. It's two notches smaller than the Golf. It's even smaller than a Mini Cooper.

You have to realize how not-big the VW Lupo is. It's two notches smaller than the Golf. It's even smaller than a Mini Cooper.

I've been next to them before. :P Still think it could use a 427 though. :ph34r:

I've been next to them before. :P Still think it could use a 427 though. :ph34r:

An olds 455 xD

This is why I love car shows:

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

An olds 455 xD

The idle on those were ridiculous by itself.

Though I stilled loved cammed ones more. :wub:

The idle on those were ridiculous by itself.

Though I stilled loved cammed ones more. :wub:

Which is why i want one^^ 

Imagine pulling up at the lights with that. Nobody would have the balls to race you xD

Which is why i want one^^ 

Imagine pulling up at the lights with that. Nobody would have the balls to race you xD

You'll still have the few people that would but you win by default with sound alone. :D