Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

my car is a tank. this thing will never break

Screenshot 2024-05-10 111731.png

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

3 hours ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

I'm gonna say you should do it because it'd be cool

unless you've got better things to do with it.

I honestly might before the Carlisle truck nationals in August, that road trip would be a lot more fun with a 400hp lol.

Was thinking about throwing it all in before a local meet on June 1st, but.... I just ordered the parts to install brakes on the rear, going from drums to brembos so axles have to be pulled. While it's apart for that I'm going to powder coat the diff cover, battery tray, and maybe install some cheap 2" lowering blocks and slapper bars.

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

Risky brake bleeder extractor. 20240509_131048.thumb.jpg.ca798d3b787a568584b29e89e618e8a6.jpg

But that's what warranty is for, right? 👍

Drilled it a size up, got it glowing, hammered it in, came right out. It snapped off with the smallest 8mm wrench so I think someone before me had already twisted it some.

Brackets came in today, no idea what color I want to do them in won't be seen unless you look under the truck. Also don't know if I want to mount the rear calipers at 3 or 9'o clock.... Pads and rotors will be here Tuesday.

PXL_20240510_182452953.thumb.jpg.e12620e59bf1137f1cede014d639dcaf.jpg

Also very unsure what color I want to do the diff cover, whatever color I do I'm kinda thinking of polishing the "trick flow" part just for a little contrast..

image.thumb.jpg.03666f878bfba0228e91e4149805e2fc.jpg

I know for sure the battery tray will be Weston grey, make it kinda blend in with the color on the lower part of the truck.

46 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Risky brake bleeder extractor. 20240509_131048.thumb.jpg.ca798d3b787a568584b29e89e618e8a6.jpg

But that's what warranty is for, right? 👍

Drilled it a size up, got it glowing, hammered it in, came right out. It snapped off with the smallest 8mm wrench so I think someone before me had already twisted it some.

Holy Christ did they tighten them with an ugga dugga?! I've never seen a bleeder snap like that... And I've had some there were very stuck in cast iron calipers. 😬😬😬

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Bad UI design, IRL edition.

Its doesn't look bad until you realize 90% of your HVAC controls are embedded in a laggy infotainment.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

8 hours ago, Vonrottes said:

Brackets came in today, no idea what color I want to do them in won't be seen unless you look under the truck. Also don't know if I want to mount the rear calipers at 3 or 9'o clock.... Pads and rotors will be here Tuesday.

PXL_20240510_182452953.thumb.jpg.e12620e59bf1137f1cede014d639dcaf.jpg

Also very unsure what color I want to do the diff cover, whatever color I do I'm kinda thinking of polishing the "trick flow" part just for a little contrast..

image.thumb.jpg.03666f878bfba0228e91e4149805e2fc.jpg

I know for sure the battery tray will be Weston grey, make it kinda blend in with the color on the lower part of the truck.

Holy Christ did they tighten them with an ugga dugga?! I've never seen a bleeder snap like that... And I've had some there were very stuck in cast iron calipers. 😬😬😬

It's the MidWest, salt life baaaby!

I vote breast cancer pink on all the thinks you think no one will ever see or will only see if they're looking too hard. How hard would it be to do rainbow or pride flags?

33 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's the MidWest, salt life baaaby!

I vote breast cancer pink on all the thinks you think no one will ever see or will only see if they're looking too hard. How hard would it be to do rainbow or pride flags?

Jesus must be the same mystery metal ™ GM used for LS exhaust manifold bolts lol

Huh that's actually not a bad idea just do some wild obnoxious color. .. and rainbow is doable it would just cost like $75 just to order the colors.

Vaporwave: 

3 minutes ago, Vonrottes said:

Jesus must be the same mystery metal ™ GM used for LS exhaust manifold bolts lol

Huh that's actually not a bad idea just do some wild obnoxious color. .. and rainbow is doable it would just cost like $75 just to order the colors.

Every part a random mix up of whatever powder fell on the ground from doing other parts. 🤣

9 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Every part a random mix up of whatever powder fell on the ground from doing other parts. 🤣

Lol right now I've got two greys, two reds, white, black, that awful purple color and two clears.

Vaporwave: 

1 minute ago, Vonrottes said:

Lol right now I've got two greys, two reds, white, black, that awful purple color and two clears.

Mix it all together and SEND IT!

43 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Mix it all together and SEND IT!

I've heard of guys doing just that and coming up with a unique color.
Dare to be different.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

5 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I've heard of guys doing just that and coming up with a unique color.
Dare to be different.

Or is it Dare to be Stupid?

Not gonna lie, it could go either way.....

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Any ideas on why my alignment (toe) would change on wheel in a week? I havent gotten an alignment or anything the last week other than driving for few hundred ks. I noticed car was very unstable at speed then I realised I have slight toe out on front left (driver) side.

Pretty much every time I take the car out, I take the same route at same speeds.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Any ideas on why my alignment (toe) would change on wheel in a week? I havent gotten an alignment or anything the last week other than driving for few hundred ks. I noticed car was very unstable at speed then I realised I have slight toe out on front left (driver) side.

Pretty much every time I take the car out, I take the same route at same speeds.

Probably a worn component, bushing, strut mount, joint. Needs a good thorough inspection from someone who knows what they're looking for. Sounds like you're in Europe maybe? A MOT style of inspection should reveal the cause if they're any good at doing one.

On 4/21/2024 at 9:12 PM, Motifator said:

I see a cowboy in here, LS. Belongs in the TOYS CAR gallery out of Turkey, if you know what I mean. The ultimate meme machine out of a kiddy's toy car called a Corvette. Wanna know what's funny? Generations wise, all the way from the TPI Vette which had LT's and different Chevy blocks, TO THE 2006 Vette, 0-60 is not too much different. Nearly all the power is lost from wheelspin because MUH AMERICAN V8 RWD. You have no traction you have no power. All the models deal their 0-60's around 6 secs. So it does not, speed wise, matter whether you get a 86 electronically injected Vette or a fully blown package C6 from 2006 with the HUD up the windshield...

Don't start on the BUT NO HURR I CAN INFUSE AND MOD THE LS either. It'll make you look even more of an American idiot.

The VQ37 is far better of an engine than anything LS, because it is put in real luxury cars not kid's toys R us shit like Vettes, Camaros, etc. Sounds good too. 

If TRUCKS are the topic, you may indeed wanna resort to something OTHER than LS. While LS probably puts down a decent amount of torque, you likely want a turbocharged diesel for that task cause torque is the key to the pull. You want to pull big you want big torque, like say a 3.0 V6 with a turbocharger on, or even bigger... that's how you reach big carrying boats and the stuff. At least in where I live, next to the shore...

Looking at the torque numbers of an LS1 found in a 06 Vette... Sahibinden says 565 Nm, but this is not just because it's torque bias or anything. It's more because of sheer displacement size of the LS, it's not an efficient engine. In city, in a truck configuration, with the oil prices.. MPG will murder your wallet. Stay far away.

Get a diesel, diesels almost ALWAYS get FAR MORE MPG. Something to do with the way they're configured. I'm not sure what you're trying to pull, but probably a turbo diesel is all you ever need for basic truck tasking.

Which GM-owner did you wrong? 😂 

Also, you can gear for torque. It's about the convience while pulling, and yeah, turbo diesels are the best option for that.

Wi RoZ

4 hours ago, Wi RoZ said:

Which GM-owner did you wrong? 😂 

Also, you can gear for torque. It's about the convience while pulling, and yeah, turbo diesels are the best option for that.

GM makes garbage for the utmost part, everyone knows that. Even all the way up their quality scale, going up to the Cadillacs... they're barely up there with 10 year old German or Japanese or even Korean counterparts.

Well now that this is done, I'll show it off so no one can try to talk me out of doing it😂
I'm a trained professional, please do not attempt.

PXL_20240512_174312808.thumb.jpg.43dbfdb5d12077c92a9c0db9c78b69a5.jpg

Truck has 70.4mm hubs, Camaros have a 67.4mm hub....closest shop I found that would machine the center bore was a two hour drive away.... a little bit of googling and $13 on a carbide pattern bit using a spare wheel adapter with the right center bore bolted to the rotor so it's centered.

Went slow and for once the internet was right, cast iron is easy to machine with a wood bit, not nearly as "grabby" as aluminum.

did have a little bit of chatter I can clean up with a flap wheel.

Just need to get some gear oil, a new brake line for the axle and new hoses for the calipers and then I'm ready to put these on.

Vaporwave: 

10 minutes ago, Vonrottes said:

Well now that this is done, I'll show it off so no one can try to talk me out of doing it😂
I'm a trained professional, please do not attempt.

PXL_20240512_174312808.thumb.jpg.43dbfdb5d12077c92a9c0db9c78b69a5.jpg

Truck has 70.4mm hubs, Camaros have a 67.4mm hub....closest shop I found that would machine the center bore was a two hour drive away.... a little bit of googling and $13 on a carbide pattern bit using a spare wheel adapter with the right center bore bolted to the rotor so it's centered.

Went slow and for once the internet was right, cast iron is easy to machine with a wood bit, not nearly as "grabby" as aluminum.

did have a little bit of chatter I can clean up with a flap wheel.

Just need to get some gear oil, a new brake line for the axle and new hoses for the calipers and then I'm ready to put these on.

Save yourself the trouble now and just buy a 2nd set of rotors and machine them up the same so you already have a spare set ready to go, you'll thank yourself later on. You can spray them down with some fluid film or some engine oil and pack them in big ziploc bags to keep from rusting in storage.

13 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Save yourself the trouble now and just buy a 2nd set of rotors and machine them up the same so you already have a spare set ready to go, you'll thank yourself later on. You can spray them down with some fluid film or some engine oil and pack them in big ziploc bags to keep from rusting in storage.

Hopefully before I need new rotors I'll have a better rear end that I can justify having the axle machined to the correct size.

Machining a stock 7.5 axle seems.....like a large waste of money to me, I mean it's held up just fine to a bolt on 5.3 with all the torque management enabled. I fear any more power than the maybe 300hp it makes at the crank is going to send the 4l60e or the 7.5 to the junkyard in the sky 😂 I'd be much more comfortable with a 8.5 or a ford 8.8. 

Vaporwave: 

The money pit has been money pitted

entire engine rebuild, new gaskets all around, new vacuum lines, new rear brakes, new radiator, etc, etc, etc

new problem, tiny coolant leak, not enough to worry about immediately but I’m gonna have to bring it back to them to figure out what they missed 

in the meantime, a detail inside and out

IMG_2826.thumb.jpeg.3efdfc6369c00b028948653a3dd42679.jpeg

IMG_2824.thumb.jpeg.db3983a571c7f59330f04ba70cf95caf.jpeg

is it safe to spray lemon pledge on your engine shit? Maybe

at worst it’ll smell like warm lemon pledge 

I used a microfiber wash mitt and just soaked that fucker in pledge and then went to town on stuff like the window black plastic trim, the headlights, all the hoses, the air intake, etc 

I took a WD-40 soaked scotch brite pad to anything corroded like the ac lines and the intake manifold and then wiped them off, so that’ll probably smell like burning WD-40 briefly

gonna be an amazing combination of engine stank next time I drive it 

6 minutes ago, 8tg said:

The money pit has been money pitted

entire engine rebuild, new gaskets all around, new vacuum lines, new rear brakes, new radiator, etc, etc, etc

new problem, tiny coolant leak, not enough to worry about immediately but I’m gonna have to bring it back to them to figure out what they missed 

in the meantime, a detail inside and out

IMG_2826.thumb.jpeg.3efdfc6369c00b028948653a3dd42679.jpeg

IMG_2824.thumb.jpeg.db3983a571c7f59330f04ba70cf95caf.jpeg

is it safe to spray lemon pledge on your engine shit? Maybe

at worst it’ll smell like warm lemon pledge 

I used a microfiber wash mitt and just soaked that fucker in pledge and then went to town on stuff like the window black plastic trim, the headlights, all the hoses, the air intake, etc 

I took a WD-40 soaked scotch brite pad to anything corroded like the ac lines and the intake manifold and then wiped them off, so that’ll probably smell like burning WD-40 briefly

gonna be an amazing combination of engine stank next time I drive it 

why do i want one, i've always had a soft spot for odd/hard to come by cars that were basic cars when they came out

the color is so nice too

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

42 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

why do i want one, i've always had a soft spot for odd/hard to come by cars that were basic cars when they came out

the color is so nice too

It’s really cool until you run into a part you can no longer find

like if I have to replace my front calipers ever, I will have to rebuild them with a diy assortment of parts 

that’s not awful, I can measure gaskets or get some shit lathed if needed, but you can’t buy calipers for this car, they don’t exist, the ones that do are for the sedan and hatchback versions, for some reason the wagon has its own special calipers 

at least this isn’t that bad of a coolant leak, I have a feeling it’s something small and stupid

IMG_2829.thumb.jpeg.38c24660bd7b018d09029dcb0e5cadad.jpeg