Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

9 hours ago, Beef Boss said:

are there any other North American cars that came with a charcoal filter? 

Wix let's you search for filters by size. If you find one that you think might work, you can click on the part number and it will tell you the application.  Searching that application on the same site would let you know if a charcoal version is available. IIRC Wix makes 3 types of cabin air filters. 

As for making them, a real aquarium store would have all sorts of filter material. Not a chain place like PetSmart or Jacks, a real Aquarium store. I used to buy all sorts of filter material from a locally owned place here in town for my fish tanks. That might be another option?

12 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Wix let's you search for filters by size. If you find one that you think might work, you can click on the part number and it will tell you the application.  Swatching that application on the same site would let you know if a charcoal version is available. IIRC Wix makes 3 types of cabin air filters. 

As for making them, a real aquarium store would have all sorts of filter material. Not a chain place like PetSmart or Jacks, a real Aquarium store. I used to buy all sorts of filter material from a locally owned place here in town for my fish tanks. That might be another option?

Thank you for this. Really appreciate that!

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I think you guys might appreciate these nice crystals on this buss battery:

Spoiler

20230909_125332.thumb.JPG.5110731cfcf59b043b13f53bd5c78499.JPG

20230909_125335.thumb.JPG.20f858c9f0c768439b11eeb50c0c3565.JPG

Wonder if this is why it has some trouble starting 🤔

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I think you guys might appreciate these nice crystals on this buss battery:

Hide contents

20230909_125332.thumb.JPG.5110731cfcf59b043b13f53bd5c78499.JPG

20230909_125335.thumb.JPG.20f858c9f0c768439b11eeb50c0c3565.JPG

Wonder if this is why it has some trouble starting 🤔

Time to make a cup of tea.....

Pete

32 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That'd be useful, until they get rotated around.

That's why cars have a simple reset system when they do per tire. Not my fault if you're getting rotated and not resetting positions.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

That's why cars have a simple reset system when they do per tire. Not my fault if you're getting rotated and not resetting positions.

Or I could just step outside my vehicle and take 2 seconds to see/hear which tire is leaking. Less steps and time involved.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Or I could just step outside my vehicle and take 2 seconds to see/hear which tire is leaking. Less steps and time involved.

Too much work, that's why people drive on a flat to the shop. After feeding $4 into the gas station air pump that makes a bunch of noise but doesn't actually make any pressure.

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

signal-2023-09-10-14-45-38-479.jpg

Even better with indirect systems where people just keep inflating expecting the light to go off on its own. Record that rolled into the shop so far is 70 psi on a CR-V.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

Even better with indirect systems where people just keep inflating expecting the light to go off on its own. Record that rolled into the shop so far is 70 psi on a CR-V.

"I can't get it to 100%"

Legit had a girl come in with about 7qts of oil in her little Chevy Spark because the oil level on the dash kept going down so she kept adding more oil to it and it wouldn't go back up and she was scared because she didn't have time to get an oil change, she had to get to work. Added so much oil it flooded the engine and would not start, miraculously nothing seemed damaged just drained it, filled to correct level, cleared the plugs and cylinders of excess oil, and drove the crap out of to clear up the smoking. I made sure to show her (and her mother and her brother) how to check the oil correctly as they didn't know how. No one ever explained how that works so they thought oil life was how much oil was in it. That also means everyone she knew was changing their oil at 0% oil life. I also clarified that should be getting changed at 30% because it's not very smart.

And the yearly 'I swear I didn't put diesel in it" that put diesel in it.

23 hours ago, Bitter said:

"I can't get it to 100%"

Legit had a girl come in with about 7qts of oil in her little Chevy Spark because the oil level on the dash kept going down so she kept adding more oil to it and it wouldn't go back up and she was scared because she didn't have time to get an oil change, she had to get to work. Added so much oil it flooded the engine and would not start, miraculously nothing seemed damaged just drained it, filled to correct level, cleared the plugs and cylinders of excess oil, and drove the crap out of to clear up the smoking. I made sure to show her (and her mother and her brother) how to check the oil correctly as they didn't know how. No one ever explained how that works so they thought oil life was how much oil was in it. That also means everyone she knew was changing their oil at 0% oil life. I also clarified that should be getting changed at 30% because it's not very smart.

And the yearly 'I swear I didn't put diesel in it" that put diesel in it.

Haven't seen that before.

Legit happened today - not a record though

Screenshot2023-09-12at5_28_36PM.thumb.png.04b9691eb0fbc9b8584cf2f4f8d4a865.png

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Haven't seen that before.

Legit happened today - not a record though

-snip-

They just want better gas mileage /s

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

This was the action of the day.... Went well enough and was done quickly too.

Clutchbleedersetup.thumb.JPG.fdeb6a7c8d92de0b7713c0389726d464.JPG

Next job on the 'ol list being powersteering hose replacement. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 9/5/2023 at 1:08 AM, Vonrottes said:

Was supposed to  take the truck out today and finish tuning but my wideband had other plans.... So instead of getting some shots on the road here's a quick shot at the neighborhood park 😂DSC_6692.thumb.png.1e8bdb807dbd4b872cfa689ebe6a1d69.png

Having the door decals back on really make it look a lot better 

I'm not a truck guy but I really dig this.

I am not having a great time right now

IMG_7354.thumb.jpeg.ba3fce25d59a9a23eddfdf6eb0f279a0.jpeg

new speakers won’t fit normally, but I can reuse the rings kinda

IMG_7355.thumb.jpeg.02f746ce9f199b00e42ebc0e843262cc.jpeg

Pulling the ring off and cutting out some of the center grille allows the new speakers to kinda sit in their place

IMG_7357.thumb.jpeg.83dd3ae3fa0083032f7bbef74eb58654.jpeg

silicone to hold the speakers to the ring

IMG_7356.thumb.jpeg.a05ad5cbf8521a1a14bf827e930dadae.jpeg

old speakers were toast

IMG_7358.jpeg.dd37d9c0612394b43f38c0eb6f06b5c8.jpeg

wiring is soldered up 

now I have to wait for the silicone to cure 

They’re in, they sound dope

IMG_7372.thumb.jpeg.67cc3c7ff8944619d9e70e25146b3e82.jpeg

thank you internet car boomers for this tip:

IMG_7373.thumb.jpeg.e95f99fae7a1a56cf039a9dd9e5cbc55.jpeg

You can remove wind up window handle clips by pulling a rag along the clip, pulls it out easily 

On 9/13/2023 at 11:13 AM, Lingwendil said:

I'm not a truck guy but I really dig this.

At nearly the same size as a Chevy Cruze, I barely consider an S-series a truck 😝😝😝

Vaporwave: 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d / Powercolor Red Devil RX 7900 XT / Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P / Kingston fury beast 32GB / WD_Black SN770 1tb / Samsung  970 evo 1tb / Corsair RM850x / Cooler Master ML360 v2 / NZXT H9 Elite / Vizio m422i-B1  / Steelseries x Destiny 2 Arctis 1/ GMMK Pro+GMMK Num Akko Lavender/ Steelseries x Destiny 2 Rival 5

2 hours ago, 8tg said:

They’re in, they sound dope

IMG_7372.thumb.jpeg.67cc3c7ff8944619d9e70e25146b3e82.jpeg

thank you internet car boomers for this tip:

IMG_7373.thumb.jpeg.e95f99fae7a1a56cf039a9dd9e5cbc55.jpeg

You can remove wind up window handle clips by pulling a rag along the clip, pulls it out easily 

Bleach Wite tire cleaner will absolutely obliterate grim and crud and restore the blue plastic to its original bright blue color.

Rear speakers going in

the rear ones were in fine shape, so this is mostly for something a little louder? I’m not going to block rocking bass or anything, but the original rear speakers were tinny and quiet 

so these are less tinny and a little louder

IMG_7392.thumb.jpeg.eca9e6ea61bcec92c26da15c1f1948d5.jpeg

the wiring for this is fairly straight forward though the color scheme, oh my god

IMG_7393.thumb.jpeg.d53f0cf3021c1ab2c284ecee786d0a64.jpeg

I’ve never seen a red negative in my life 

22 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Rear speakers going in

the rear ones were in fine shape, so this is mostly for something a little louder? I’m not going to block rocking bass or anything, but the original rear speakers were tinny and quiet 

so these are less tinny and a little louder

IMG_7392.thumb.jpeg.eca9e6ea61bcec92c26da15c1f1948d5.jpeg

the wiring for this is fairly straight forward though the color scheme, oh my god

IMG_7393.thumb.jpeg.d53f0cf3021c1ab2c284ecee786d0a64.jpeg

I’ve never seen a red negative in my life 

It's only grounds that are almost universal black. Speakers technically run on AC voltage so negative and positive are just to keep them all in the same phase.