Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Is it weird that I would rather have a Mallett LS2 modified Solstice/Sky than an MX5, BRZ/FRS, Supra, 400z, etc?

9 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

how will the fiesta boys cope without their pop and bang remaps

Hopefully they spontaneously combust from not being able to be obnoxious af

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

3 hours ago, IPD said:

Is it weird that I would rather have a Mallett LS2 modified Solstice/Sky than an MX5, BRZ/FRS, Supra, 400z, etc?

No. The solstice/sky should of came with an LS from the factory me thinks lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

No. The solstice/sky should of came with an LS from the factory me thinks lol 

At least turbo was an option, LS would have been stupid in a car that small unless they had a baby 4.8 in it. The most disappointing thing if how clunky the trans feels, it's like they borrowed it from a S10 pickup or something. Yuck.

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

At least turbo was an option, LS would have been stupid in a car that small unless they had a baby 4.8 in it. The most disappointing thing if how clunky the trans feels, it's like they borrowed it from a S10 pickup or something. Yuck.

I’ve driven an N/A solstice with a manual, it was fine. 

you could shove some huge tires under that car, there’s lots of room, I think it could handle an LS, just perhaps the whole drivetrain would have to be beefier 

i mean stock LS we’re talking what like 400hp in that era the car was made? They could of detuned it to 380 and it would of been fine and very fun 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

19 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I’ve driven an N/A solstice with a manual, it was fine. 

you could shove some huge tires under that car, there’s lots of room, I think it could handle an LS, just perhaps the whole drivetrain would have to be beefier 

i mean stock LS we’re talking what like 400hp in that era the car was made? They could of detuned it to 380 and it would of been fine and very fun 

The NA I drove had a clunky stiff shifter and the clutch was very...blind? There wasn't much feel to the clutch pedal, as you fed it pedal to get moving it just kind of all felt the same there wasn't like in a Honda or Toyota that point i n travel where you feel in the pedal it's grabbing in a zone and you can just modulate in that shorter area when shifting and driving. The NA Solstice I drove had none of that at all, it just felt like the same pedal all the way from floor to full release. You could figure it out through trial and error but it wasn't fun, rev hang wasn't helping me out any either. I hate rev hang, makes me think I'm a shittier at stick than I am. I'm not great but I'm not THAT bad.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

And yet, nobody said it was stupid when Mercedes made the SLK55 AMG....

2 hours ago, IPD said:

And yet, nobody said it was stupid when Mercedes made the SLK55 AMG....

I'm sure the SLK weighed a little more than the Solstice.

16 hours ago, vetali said:

Hopefully they spontaneously combust from not being able to be obnoxious af

To be fair the so called "pop"s' are a pretty normal thing for engines, well unless you start applying some dumb stuff like cutting fuel to the engine and overly restrictive exhaust. For example here is my previous bike (factory original minus the exhaust) after it got the open exhaust(road legal OFC):

Even my stock ass Celica does a lil burble sometimes if you go from WOT to closed throttle at high RPM, usually if you just are about to touch fuel cut or upshift without lifting right at fuel cut. I think the ECM might pull timing for the shift to soften it on the trans, I never looked into it much but that's pretty normal.

28 minutes ago, Bitter said:

More CAN'TBUS shenanigans.

At first glance it seemed like the wires got rubbed off, but after enlarging im not sure. Looks like a combination of  some sort of cut and exposed to physical stress.....

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

At first glance it seemed like the wires got rubbed off, but after enlarging im not sure. Looks like a combination of  some sort of cut and exposed to physical stress.....

Copper got work hardened at the single point of flex then snapped.

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

More CAN'TBUS shenanigans.

Looks to me like the door is easier to open and close now /s

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Looks to me like the door is easier to open and close now /s

I told the boss I'd drive it around like a Jeep.

Thoughts for the moment:

-I'd love to see a car brand change up their exteriors every year (like how it was done in the 1960's).  I don't care if you keep the interior the same for 10+ years.  Keep the sheet metal skeleton the same, and change up stuff like the headlights, bumpers, fenders, skirts, etc.

-Polaris needs to bring back the Victory brand as all electric.  Victory may be superfluous with Indian in the stable, but they don't have an EV brand--and that's a solid use for a much beloved, much maligned brand; and they badly need to be competing in this segment.

Houston, we’ve reached rocky landscapes 

15F10640-797B-4D60-9E17-866B2733BADA.jpeg

Spoiler

4 hours ago, IPD said:

-I'd love to see a car brand change up their exteriors every year (like how it was done in the 1960's).  I don't care if you keep the interior the same for 10+ years.  Keep the sheet metal skeleton the same, and change up stuff like the headlights, bumpers, fenders, skirts, etc.

Good luck with that

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

34 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Good luck with that

I know.  Toyota thinks they should just keep the same, boring shit going for 20 years.  And amazingly, people are still lining up to buy it.  madness.

47 minutes ago, IPD said:

I know.  Toyota thinks they should just keep the same, boring shit going for 20 years.  And amazingly, people are still lining up to buy it.  madness.

Yeah the r&d cost and risk (what if it’s hated?) associated with redesigns means they won’t happen too often. 

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah the r&d cost and risk (what if it’s hated?) associated with redesigns means they won’t happen too often. 

True.  But I wasn't talking about skeletal sheet metal.  I was talking about things like bumpers and headlights.  And that's the kind of stuff that gets changed up easily with captive imports and badge engineering--in order to save costs. 

28 minutes ago, IPD said:

in order to save costs. 

You know the most cost saving measure on large scale production would be to.. not change things that don't need to be changed?