Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

20 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

P_20201108_171510.thumb.jpg.413c1b89684d8c7a02f68c46ac34995e.jpg

Meet the $280 1995 Toyota Corolla DX

I saw it listed on Facebook marketplace and just had to take a look. Poor car was going to get scrapped for what the previous owner assumed was the clutch starting to go out.

The actual problem? Someone serviced the car at some point and did not re-mount the charcoal canister and fuel filter properly, so they were clattering around and getting smacked by the shift linkages. 

Of course, the car also ended up needing other work too. Driver's side front wheel bearing was starting to go out, causing weird noises when turning right. I also replaced the driver's side CV axle since it was old af, and the passenger side axle has been replaced at some point. Beyond that, I have just cleaned it inside and out, new tires, and caught up most of the maintenance. Last big ticket item is coolant. Then we can start thinking about upgrades and mods.

I'm probably going to auto cross this thing. Its cheap, and pretty fun for what it is. However, the stock economy tuned motor is very not performance ready. The power/torque curve is garbage, and you have to short shift to get anything out of it; which I fear might suck in auto cross. It'll be fine at first to learn with, but I was thinking about sticking to my roots and going with a rotary swap; would be great for auto cross since rotaries like being at high rpms and you're always in low gear. But we'll see. I could also get 4AGE heads and make a 7AGE, do some fuel system work and get a standalone. 

Is that a 98/99 with the 1ZZ? 

With a manual and good tires it’ll be a good autocross car. I autoX’d my 2002 corolla (with an auto, I had to leave it in 1st and manually slide the shifter up to second and back down it was a mess but it was fun lol) 

I was mid pack at the local group after putting new struts (nothing special just stock replacements) and sport comp 2 tires (I got 15 inch steel wheels to do this, stock width) 

I had way more fun in that car than I thought I ever would. Kinda sad I don’t have it anymore still lol. I revved the crap out of the engine every single day for 2 years. I had to keep an eye on the oil (the early 1ZZ’s Commonly burn due to too small piston oil return holes and owners who would neglect oil changes). But that was it! 

An LSD would also go a long way in that car. But that might be a bit much. If you ever have the transmission out to disassemble it, it’s worth doing.

Then someone crashed into me one day and I bought a Miata. Still have that one. Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

21 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Is that a 98/99 with the 1ZZ? 

With a manual and good tires it’ll be a good autocross car. I autoX’d my 2002 corolla (with an auto, I had to leave it in 1st and manually slide the shifter up to second and back down it was a mess but it was fun lol) 

I was mid pack at the local group after putting new struts (nothing special just stock replacements) and sport comp 2 tires (I got 15 inch steel wheels to do this, stock width) 

I had way more fun in that car than I thought I ever would. Kinda sad I don’t have it anymore still lol. I revved the crap out of the engine every single day for 2 years. I had to keep an eye on the oil (the early 1ZZ’s Commonly burn due to too small piston oil return holes and owners who would neglect oil changes). But that was it! 

An LSD would also go a long way in that car. But that might be a bit much. If you ever have the transmission out to disassemble it, it’s worth doing.

Then someone crashed into me one day and I bought a Miata. Still have that one. Lol

Big F for your 02.

This is a 95, as I mentioned in my post :)

DX trim, so it does have the 1.8L 7A-FE. The 4 speed auto was an option higher on the DX trim, the 5 speed manual was standard equipment for DX models. I expect it'll be solid enough in autox stock, but my plans should get some more performance out of it. 7As are oil burning queens, if its not burning oil its not running :) Supposedly its an issue with the rings getting sludged by faulty rings and/or long oil change intervals.

There's a high chance I'll be getting a mostly complete, or possibly running, single rotor engine sometime next year. It'd only make about as much power as the 7A does, but the powerband would be way better. I was planning on reusing the stock transmission with some type of bellhousing adapter, and was considering rebuilding it since it'll have around 200k by the time I can do the swap. 

My biggest concern is tires though, for sure. There's a pick&pull near here that has a 93 with some really cool looking alloy wheels, however I'm pretty sure they're OEM so tire choice will be extremely limited. The upside is they'd be cheap and look nice. Could probably try to offset a worse tread with a wider tire, depending on how wide a tire I could fit.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

I had 92 Prizm GSi wheels with 195/60R14 tires, it was ok. Go for 15" and you can fit bigger front brakes from I think maybe it was a 5th or 6th gen Celica? Been a while....

Also 7AGE is very rarely built, usually cheaper to turbo the 7A or cram in a 3S or 4AGE.

14 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

Big F for your 02.

This is a 95, as I mentioned in my post :)

DX trim, so it does have the 1.8L 7A-FE. The 4 speed auto was an option higher on the DX trim, the 5 speed manual was standard equipment for DX models. I expect it'll be solid enough in autox stock, but my plans should get some more performance out of it. 7As are oil burning queens, if its not burning oil its not running :) Supposedly its an issue with the rings getting sludged by faulty rings and/or long oil change intervals.

There's a high chance I'll be getting a mostly complete, or possibly running, single rotor engine sometime next year. It'd only make about as much power as the 7A does, but the powerband would be way better. I was planning on reusing the stock transmission with some type of bellhousing adapter, and was considering rebuilding it since it'll have around 200k by the time I can do the swap. 

My biggest concern is tires though, for sure. There's a pick&pull near here that has a 93 with some really cool looking alloy wheels, however I'm pretty sure they're OEM so tire choice will be extremely limited. The upside is they'd be cheap and look nice. Could probably try to offset a worse tread with a wider tire, depending on how wide a tire I could fit.

I’m sorry I totally missed that you said the year when I read your post yesterday... 

rotary swap? That sounds like a crazy project lol. Good luck! 

In my experience regarding tires, the tire itself is more important than the width. 15 inch wheels generally have the best variety of sticky tire selection since that’s what people are using on Miatas and stuff, so I’d try to find something there. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Not done yet just did the rears:6985F611-6F8C-4B02-8DAE-EF354F6A234D.thumb.jpeg.4305c326e94c7d6ab4f61bef7844c466.jpeg

prothane bushings + sadfab sleeve bearing kit instead of the stock sleeves (so the center sleeve rotates inside of a metal bearing instead of directly against the polyurethane) + drilled and tapped for grease zerks for easy greasing. 

Every poly bushing company should do this I think it’s an amazing idea lol:

image.thumb.jpg.a91ee80ffb3f266fec8aab65da3210c1.jpg

koni yellows and flyin Miata springs. New shock bushings but reused the spring isolators and boots.

Excuse the 10+ years of dirt. Gonna clean everything when I’m done. 

ride is actually pretty close to stock, just everything feels tighter in the back. It’s nice, feels new. 

Spoiler

Anyone know grease fittings really well? I’m in need of some low profile ones for a tight clearance spot on the Miata.

i think these will work:

2D996EC4-171F-411F-BA3E-4549A465E1FA.thumb.jpeg.31a3ebb56fe04f7be3c34c0a90c33ca7.jpeg

but I don’t know what adapter you use on your grease gun for these? Do you just stick a needle-type in the middle?.. that doesn’t seem right (edit: maybe it is, it pushes in the ball valve and allows the grease to flow in)

also the hole is recessed so I might have to find something else. Really don’t want go cut the subframe if I can avoid it. (also the above might not work since the clearance for the socket + the fitting itself through that hole might not be big enough :(

3916B979-FB74-43DC-83B4-FB8A793D28F9.thumb.jpeg.54140d3535fc0d12b87b4711e309307b.jpeg

Spoiler

They do work buy you need the adapter for your grease gun to use them, might still not be low enough since that fitting has a long shank on it. How much more rotation do you need there? Is notching not an option?

24 minutes ago, Bitter said:

They do work buy you need the adapter for your grease gun to use them, might still not be low enough since that fitting has a long shank on it. How much more rotation do you need there? Is notching not an option?

I don’t need a lot tbh. That’s how it is with the suspension at full droop and it wasn’t putting much pressure on it 

other idea was a 90 degree fitting, Assuming my threads are good enough(lol) to screw it in by hand, if it goes in deep enough that it clears...

I’m reluctant to notch it because there’s already a hole in the middle of that bracket and I feel like I’d be  compromising it too much? 

it’s for the rear upper control arm where they mount to the subframe 

oddly enough the front one clears fine (you can kinda see it behind that one in the pic). Just the rear ones don’t :( 

Spoiler

Hey yall! New to the thread.

Got this one back in September!

2015 Ford Focus ST3

2.0L Ecoboost I4 252bhp

62,000KM on the odometer at time of purchase

6 speed manual transaxle

Recaro performance leather seats

SYNC My Ford Touch with Sony 10 speaker/subwoofer

Yellow tinted fog lights

Turbosmart Dual-port wastgate

Wanted this car for many years now, and I finally got one!

119449523_1989808777821223_976922127712395690_o.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

33 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

Hey yall! New to the thread.

Got this one back in September!

2015 Ford Focus ST3

2.0L Ecoboost I4 252bhp

62,000KM on the odometer at time of purchase

6 speed manual transaxle

Recaro performance leather seats

SYNC My Ford Touch with Sony 10 speaker/subwoofer

Yellow tinted fog lights

Turbosmart Dual-port wastgate

Wanted this car for many years now, and I finally got one!

These have to be the most common car in this thread surely 😂

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

18 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I don’t need a lot tbh. That’s how it is with the suspension at full droop and it wasn’t putting much pressure on it 

other idea was a 90 degree fitting, Assuming my threads are good enough(lol) to screw it in by hand, if it goes in deep enough that it clears...

I’m reluctant to notch it because there’s already a hole in the middle of that bracket and I feel like I’d be  compromising it too much? 

it’s for the rear upper control arm where they mount to the subframe 

oddly enough the front one clears fine (you can kinda see it behind that one in the pic). Just the rear ones don’t :( 

A 90 fitting will be almost as tall or just as tall as what's there now. The flat is your best bet if it's long enough to reach where it needs to get to. A small notch shouldn't cause harm though, a 90 fitting and maybe dimple the metal away with a solid ball peen whack.

33 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Well, that surely makes me feel welcome.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

3 minutes ago, CPT_BEEMO said:

Well, that surely makes me feel welcome.

Dont mean it in a bad way lol

I think theres 4 others in here? And I used to have one myself

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

Dont mean it in a bad way lol

I think theres 4 others in here? And I used to have one myself

😂 I know dude! At least if I have an issue with the car someone here can help

Based on what I've seen thus far, I'm the only rotary owner here. 😂

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

There’s quite a few Miatas too. Just not a lot of them are regulars lol

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

A 90 fitting will be almost as tall or just as tall as what's there now. The flat is your best bet if it's long enough to reach where it needs to get to. A small notch shouldn't cause harm though, a 90 fitting and maybe dimple the metal away with a solid ball peen whack.

Might just have to do that. Thanks 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Might just have to do that. Thanks 

Wouldn't hurt to just buy a grease fitting assortment, they're handy at random times.

One of my favourite place in the world:

2.jpg

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You guys need to see this: 

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

Based on what I've seen thus far, I'm the only rotary owner here. 😂

I used to have a ro80 back in the last century does that count ?

Pete

I'd say it does. Now that was an amazing car ❤️