3 VR Gamers, 1 CPU - ULTIMATE VR SETUP!

CPotter

Thanks to Intel for sponsoring this video!

Check out Intel's 2018 Extreme Rig Challenge
Enter to win select competitor rigs and other awesome prizes by voting for your favorite team.
Search https://www.amazon.com/ for a wide range of tie-in promotions.
Check back soon for details including how to vote, where to buy, and where to see the final builds.

We use unRAID to run a triple-headed VR setup from ONE system powered by Intel Core i9 7960X processor.

Buy Intel Core™ i7-7820X:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/4iOVS
On Newegg: http://geni.us/r3dQBuJ

Buy Intel Core™ i9-7900X:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/wHj93T9
On Newegg: http://geni.us/9a2Ede

Buy Intel Core™ i9-7980XE:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/XJm01u
On Newegg: http://geni.us/b23Syi1

You know, I don't know if this was intentional or something but the rig in this is basically what I'm using...

1) The case used in this was the Obsidian 900D and I'm using the smaller but same design 750D.

2) The motherboard in this was the Asus Prime X299-Deluxe and I'm using the Prime-A, again same design just with a few features missing. 

3) The CPU cooler in this was a Corsair AIO mounted at the top and mounted the same way with the tubes facing towards the front of the case, though I only have the 115i and have just the two fans in push configuration.

4) The PSU in this was made by Corsair, granted though I'm using the more sensible RM750x instead of the AX1200i. 

5) At least one of the GPU's in this was a GTX 1070 which is what I use but again I am using the MSI Gaming X version instead of the FE version featured in this rig. 

6) The CPU in this was the i9 7960X and I'm using the i7 7800X which is a cut down 7960X. 

@LinusTech Thanks for basically building my system :)

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Everything was going so well and then one single mistake you made. You could have set up just one pair of Vive lighthouses to handle the tracking. The best I have had has been 4 PCs, 4 Vives and one set of lighthouses and no tracking issues.

If you haven't taken the setup down, you could try to remove the blinds, setup one set of lighthouses (no limit on the size of the area they can cover, just that they can see each other) and for bonus points set overlapping room scale playareas and go to something like AltspaceVR or VRchat (just remember not to move with teleporting or locomotion) or for safety three separate playareas.

Could we please get a link to the quad bus usb card you guys used?

32 minutes ago, Zenzou said:

Could we please get a link to the quad bus usb card you guys used?

i may need a few of these myself

I think game performance depend on the game I play a game that love 1 or 2 very fast clock speed I mean in late game it take all you can give it and still get lagg

What I am wondering about is what are the steps for passing through the primary GPU. I have tried doing it with no awail, but you guys seem to have done it. Mind sharing?

As Thaldor pointed out you can have more than 1 vive with just 2 lighthouses 

and they don't even need to be facing at each other you just need to use the link cable and set them to A B , we do this all the time in trade shows ussing

4 vives and just 2 lighthouses, just take the 2 lighthouses and place one on each extreme, make them face the players and use the seated setup(you can have room scale but it is not needed for the kind of game you are testing on the limited space.)

Does anyone know if Is it possible on the Asus x299 deluxe  motherboard with unraid to passthrough the Included Thunderbolt 3 to a VM  windows PC. ?

On 3/3/2018 at 7:21 PM, Dax_Darkwood said:

Does it need to be the PRO version?

I see another one for half the price, still looks like discreet controllers.

On 3/13/2018 at 3:27 PM, DonkeyPunch9000 said:

Does it need to be the PRO version?

I see another one for half the price, still looks like discreet controllers.

Just looked this up.  The pro is PCI-E v2 x4 and the regular is x1.  So at best the non pro is only able to provide the full speed for approximately one and a half ports.

deprecated/don't know how to delete this

Edited by Sekrit_skworl
deprecated

This is my first post on the form but I have been a long LTT viewer. The videos are awesome!

I have an HTC Vive which I have been running it on my laptop and would like to start running it on unRaid. I have an ASRock X399 Taichi motherboard with a 1950x CPU and have had no luck passing thought the Vive. My IMMOU groups won't let me pass through the onboard USB controllers so I thought I might try this, so I bought the Pro USB card from Amazon.

Not sure if anyone else is running an X399 platform but is have had no luck trying to get my server to boot with the card installed. I have tried it in every PCIe slot on my server and just about every BIOS setting there is. I have also tried it on another X399 motherboard and it was getting the same thing. When I have the card installed I get the error code 64 on my motherboard. With the card removed, it boots into unRaid fine.  I tried the same card on a Z87 PC. It boots fine and UnRiad sees all of the USB controllers.

Not sure if anyone can help or recommend a different PCIe card. Thank you for the help, Franz.

On 3/25/2018 at 4:50 PM, franz151 said:

This is my first post on the form but I have been a long LTT viewer. The videos are awesome!

I have an HTC Vive which I have been running it on my laptop and would like to start running it on unRaid. I have an ASRock X399 Taichi motherboard with a 1950x CPU and have had no luck passing thought the Vive. My IMMOU groups won't let me pass through the onboard USB controllers so I thought I might try this, so I bought the Pro USB card from Amazon.

Not sure if anyone else is running an X399 platform but is have had no luck trying to get my server to boot with the card installed. I have tried it in every PCIe slot on my server and just about every BIOS setting there is. I have also tried it on another X399 motherboard and it was getting the same thing. When I have the card installed I get the error code 64 on my motherboard. With the card removed, it boots into unRaid fine.  I tried the same card on a Z87 PC. It boots fine and UnRiad sees all of the USB controllers.

Not sure if anyone can help or recommend a different PCIe card. Thank you for the help, Franz.

I read somewhere, either on Level1Techs, Reddit, or maybe the Lime-Tech forums (sorry, I can't remember which one) that X399 is still dodgy when it comes to setting up VM builds like this. The only reason I know is because I was also looking into doing something similar, building a X399 storage/Plex server with a gaming VM, but in my research found out that there are still issues needed to be ironed out with the platform in regards to builds like this and that Intel platforms will still give you a smoother experience at the moment (I personally went with X79 and a Xeon to save money).

So... you may have to wait a bit for everything to get ironed out or you can try the Lime-Tech forums as someone there may have been successful with X399.

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2018 at 3:59 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

You know, I don't know if this was intentional or something but the rig in this is basically what I'm using...

1) The case used in this was the Obsidian 900D and I'm using the smaller but same design 750D.

2) The motherboard in this was the Asus Prime X299-Deluxe and I'm using the Prime-A, again same design just with a few features missing. 

3) The CPU cooler in this was a Corsair AIO mounted at the top and mounted the same way with the tubes facing towards the front of the case, though I only have the 115i and have just the two fans in push configuration.

4) The PSU in this was made by Corsair, granted though I'm using the more sensible RM750x instead of the AX1200i. 

5) At least one of the GPU's in this was a GTX 1070 which is what I use but again I am using the MSI Gaming X version instead of the FE version featured in this rig. 

6) The CPU in this was the i9 7960X and I'm using the i7 7800X which is a cut down 7960X. 

@LinusTech Thanks for basically building my system :)

I want to get to a 2 Vive setup.  But, trying to figure out the two gamer 1 PC before buying drives.  In that video, Linus does not discuss how to split/half the drives between the VMs.  Please clarify.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Sekrit_skworl
mistype

On 3/3/2018 at 4:17 PM, Thaldor said:

Everything was going so well and then one single mistake you made. You could have set up just one pair of Vive lighthouses to handle the tracking. The best I have had has been 4 PCs, 4 Vives and one set of lighthouses and no tracking issues.

If you haven't taken the setup down, you could try to remove the blinds, setup one set of lighthouses (no limit on the size of the area they can cover, just that they can see each other) and for bonus points set overlapping room scale playareas and go to something like AltspaceVR or VRchat (just remember not to move with teleporting or locomotion) or for safety three separate playareas.

THAT'S REALLY great to know!!!.... I've been trying to figure all of this out.  Like in his 2 gamer, 1 cpu video, he doesn't for one second talk about HOW he splits the drive usage between the VMs he uses.  He only states that he does it.  I mean, personally I don't even want to buy anything until I know how to execute usage.  I am a little disheartened by it.  It may not seem like much.  BUT I will have to buy four drives, and with two of them being SSD... whew, after paying for everything else, the price is humbling... To say the least.

Do you know how he split the drives up between the VMs?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 8:52 PM, Sekrit_skworl said:

THAT'S REALLY great to know!!!.... I've been trying to figure all of this out.  Like in his 2 gamer, 1 cpu video, he doesn't for one second talk about HOW he splits the drive usage between the VMs he uses.  He only states that he does it.  I mean, personally I don't even want to buy anything until I know how to execute usage.  I am a little disheartened by it.  It may not seem like much.  BUT I will have to buy four drives, and with two of them being SSD... whew, after paying for everything else, the price is humbling... To say the least.

Do you know how he split the drives up between the VMs?

I imagine he just uses vdisks and splits up his cache drive to each VM. 

My biggest problem on my x299 Rampage w/ 7940X + 2x 1080ti cards is a drop in performance. Even with CPU pinning done right and a proper vbios, i just can't seem to get anywhere near the same framerate on a VM than I can on bare metal (about 30% drop) :(

• 7 months later...
On 3/12/2018 at 8:47 PM, Tysonr said:

Does anyone know if Is it possible on the Asus x299 deluxe  motherboard with unraid to passthrough the Included Thunderbolt 3 to a VM  windows PC. ?

I couldn't even get the thunderbolt card to work in a Rampage VI extreme system.

• 3 months later...

I want to make something like this I wonder if there is like an updated list of parts to buy.....

1 hour ago, hesaw said:

I want to make something like this I wonder if there is like an updated list of parts to buy.....

Mine started to go this direction a couple of years ago, but wound up as a build for something else.

I am not as engaged with as many people, as often as I was previously.  So, the scope of build changed.

15 hours ago, Sekrit_skworl said:

Mine started to go this direction a couple of years ago, but wound up as a build for something else.

I am not as engaged with as many people, as often as I was previously.  So, the scope of build changed.

but were you able to make it run? I understand that any component should be compatible as long as they work together and they are withing the same generation... my concern is to the virtualization configuration and compatibility with the virtualization software.

What I want to do is basically use this setup for my racing setup and be able to race against others in the same room, this way I can run Assetto Corsa  in VR with just one rig, however I don't think I need all the high end components used on this build.

• 8 months later...
On 3/30/2019 at 8:28 AM, hesaw said:

but were you able to make it run? I understand that any component should be compatible as long as they work together and they are withing the same generation... my concern is to the virtualization configuration and compatibility with the virtualization software.

What I want to do is basically use this setup for my racing setup and be able to race against others in the same room, this way I can run Assetto Corsa  in VR with just one rig, however I don't think I need all the high end components used on this build.

Did you or anyone else on here follow through with a comparable build in 2019? Since this thread was originally created, a few things have changed, namely some drop in pricing of certain Intel X processors used on X299 MB's, and some adaptaptions need to be made, for example, the USB controller depicted in this video has been discontinued...

I personally (and I'm sure many others on here) would be more than happy with just getting a dual VR headset setup on one CPU to work, as VR has become far too anti-social on my opinion.

I'm in the middle of buying a new parts list, but as others have mentioned on here, it's difficult to commit to a setup that has been unproven in 2019.

Currently, I'm debating going with Core i9 9900K (8 physical cores, 16 logical, for dual VR headsets, 1 cpu) on a modern z390 MB or Core i9-7900X (10 cores, 20 threads) on x299 MB. Both would be paired with RTX 2080 super. 

The 9900K setup would obviously be the most cost effective, and in theory, should work, e.g. 2 physical + 2 logical cores could be dedicated per VM, or (3P/3L, 6 total) leaving more than enough for the hypervisor.

AMD is hard to ignore with 3rd gen 12 cores and up, but I've never seen a proof of concept like this successfully executed on the AMD platform.

Thoughts??