Would a USB killer work on my computer?

lexidobe

All of the tests on USB Killer that I have seen done have been on old computers. So my question is would a high end modern computer like mine still be destroyed by a USB killer, or would it have protection built in? Thanks, just curious. 

4 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

All of the tests on USB Killer that I have seen done have been on old computers. So my question is would a high end modern computer like mine still be destroyed by a USB killer, or would it have protection built in? Thanks, just curious. 

There's probably a reason that they all tested it on older computers. That reason being they were old, so that made them disposable instead of using a higher end rig.

Short answer: unless your USB ports are all dead, it would hurt a higher end computer like yours.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

14 minutes ago, cesarbg said:

Please do, we’re eager to know the outcome.

It works. I just plugged it in, and the screen went black and the computer won't turn on again. (joking)

9 minutes ago, lexidobe said:

Modern computers usually have some protection against this. It does kill devices like an Xbox, however, and has a high chance of killing USB ports in cars, laptops, and desktops.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Just now, lexidobe said:

It works. I just plugged it in, and the screen went black and the computer won't turn on again.

Now get another one, but don’t do it again is time.

congrats

either for dumbness or good will or simply trolling

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Consumer grade electronics usually don't have protection against things like this. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

On 2/17/2018 at 4:18 PM, Homeless Pineapple said:

Modern computers usually have some protection against this.

Just because a brand new macbook pro didn't get fried, doesn't make this a 'usually' situation by any means...

the USB killers usually are made to "not give up" until your computer is dead, so chances are that given enough "cycles" you'll eventually kill anything with a USB port.

the thing is that a usb killer, besides a really lame party trick, is a completely benefit-less malicious tool with no intent other than to destroy working hardware. it is essentially a weak (minded) malicious teenage nerd's axe to the car of a teacher that got him an F grade. its destroying for the sake of destroying.

19 hours ago, manikyath said:

the USB killers usually are made to "not give up" until your computer is dead, so chances are that given enough "cycles" you'll eventually kill anything with a USB port.

the thing is that a usb killer, besides a really lame party trick, is a completely benefit-less malicious tool with no intent other than to destroy working hardware. it is essentially a weak (minded) malicious teenage nerd's axe to the car of a teacher that got him an F grade. its destroying for the sake of destroying.

You are not wrong.  It's a pointless thing.

HOWEVER...  Every now and then throughout history . . . the ability to destroy specific things quickly and efficiently has actually come in handy.  I, for one, will be secretly hoarding these things; so that when the computer uprising comes I will pass them out to the people for self defense.

7 hours ago, Vantage9 said:

HOWEVER...  Every now and then throughout history . . . the ability to destroy specific things quickly and efficiently has actually come in handy.  I, for one, will be secretly hoarding these things; so that when the computer uprising comes I will pass them out to the people for self defense.

you'd be better off carrying a tazer.

7 hours ago, Vantage9 said:

Doesn't it pump out like 3 amps at 500 volts? Pretty sure thats kinda lethal

44 minutes ago, Cole5 said:

-215 volts (as in, the Vcc pin is used as ground, and ground pin is Vout) and given low enough resistance it can deliver up to 180A. repeating that several times per second.

sauce:

https://usbkill.com/products/usb-killer-v3

If your USB ports dont have fuses then it will be destroyed. I have found a few business laptop (forgot the brand, sadly) advertising this as a feature.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

20 minutes ago, manikyath said:

-215 volts (as in, the Vcc pin is used as ground, and ground pin is Vout) and given low enough resistance it can deliver up to 180A. repeating that several times per second.

sauce:

https://usbkill.com/products/usb-killer-v3

Oh dear, yeah thats quite lethal 

1 hour ago, Cole5 said:

12V on most chips is lethal. They won't poof in a spectacular cloud of magic smoke, but ICs are exceedingly sensitive to stupidly low voltage (note that for safety purposes, "extra low voltage" is less than 120VDC)

There is a reason why they didn't just stick to a version 1 or 2, they are on version 3 of the USBkiller

That being said there are boards that actually have separated board areas now to combat this, the real question is does yours?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

On 2/20/2018 at 4:31 PM, manikyath said:

you'd be better off carrying a tazer.

?  Why... will the robots of the coming apocalypse not have USB ports???     Wait a second. . . is it going to be an Apple-Exclusive Uprising???

On 2/20/2018 at 5:11 PM, Cole5 said:

Sure, lethal to all the people who have modded themselves with USB ports...

23 minutes ago, Vantage9 said:

will the robots of the coming apocalypse not have USB ports???

a tazer works on everything thats exposed, why replace a fuctional tool with a less functional over the sake of novelty?

besides, there's already boards on the market today where you dont even get past nuking the protection circuitry.

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

a tazer works on everything thats exposed, why replace a fuctional tool with a less functional over the sake of novelty?

besides, there's already boards on the market today where you dont even get past nuking the protection circuitry.

against a computer uprising, i'd rather have an axe.  or a garden hose

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

5 hours ago, Tsuki said:

against a computer uprising, i'd rather have an axe.  or a garden hose

i wasnt quite proving the superiority of a tazer, but more so the complete inferiority of a usb device.

essentially, almost anything "utilitarian" will be more helpful than a usb killer.