Is there a way to update my BIOS without a CPU?

Hey guys, I recently grabbed a Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming-WiFi motherboard off Amazon for a planned Ryzen 3 2200G build. However, I picked up my CPU today at MemoryExpress and when put it in, the board will not POST. Everything else is definitely good and tested working. I realized I need to update the BIOS in order to use this CPU. Is there a way to do it instead of buying a Ryzen 3 1200 or an A series APU? Unfortunately all my friends use Intel or AMD FX so borrowing one is not possible...

I know ASUS has that BIOS FLASHBACK thing that saved my a$$ a few times, wondering if it’s possible on the board I have right now. Cheers! 

No you cant without another cpu you could just go pick up a 1200 and return it 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

4 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Unethical. Buy the 1200 and sell it. Write the loss down as tuition...

yes unethical to cause a 20$ loss to a mutil billion $ company that states you can return for any reason 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

45 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

yes unethical to cause a 20$ loss to a mutil billion $ company that states you can return for any reason 

Yet you see a lot of those webshops fail. A lot of them don't know what to do with their b-stock.

1 hour ago, tp1194045441 said:

Hey guys, I recently grabbed a Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming-WiFi motherboard off Amazon for a planned Ryzen 3 2200G build. However, I picked up my CPU today at MemoryExpress and when put it in, the board will not POST. Everything else is definitely good and tested working. I realized I need to update the BIOS in order to use this CPU. Is there a way to do it instead of buying a Ryzen 3 1200 or an A series APU? Unfortunately all my friends use Intel or AMD FX so borrowing one is not possible...

I know ASUS has that BIOS FLASHBACK thing that saved my a$$ a few times, wondering if it’s possible on the board I have right now. Cheers! 

Short answer, for what you're looking for probably no. 

Long answer, Yes. You can buy a chip written to with an EEprom for bios, or write to one yourself. (or you could contact the company and they usually charge 15 bucks for them, unless you receive a board with a super old bios then they send a chip out for free. You definitely have to ask about this because this isn't a common thing.)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Whilst I agree that buying a whole other CPU and then returning after just using it to update the BIOS would be unethical I would question whether it is a "mistake" to be in this situation.

In this instance these new processors have just been released and, whilst a number of motherboards indicate that they will support them, I suspect that every one of them will require a BIOS update to do so.   So what do you do if you want to build a new system using one of these chips? 

You may not have, or know someone else who has who is willing to let you borrow, a compatible CPU which would allow you to boot the board to update the BIOS so you can use your new chip.  Frankly it could be a lottery with what BIOS version is installed on the board you receive at this time so you won't know whether the new chip will work out of the box or not.

It seems pretty poor to have to affectively RMA a brand new, working, board back to the manufacturer to get the BIOS updated ... even if that is an option.    Is there a way around this issue?

aren't there any pc shops where you live?

just bring it to them and give $10.

It seems pretty poor to have to affectively RMA a brand new, working, board back to the manufacturer to get the BIOS updated ... even if that is an option.    Is there a way around this issue?

that's the logical option, but takes some time to return it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Actually no there aren't, at least none you'd trust with your hardware. Last proper physical computer shop I was in was probably 20 years ago ...