Are Wattage Calculators Accurate/Legit?

MultiMigo
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, MultiMigo said:

So this means that these sites tell the truth (It's from Seasonic so it should be legit) 

Yep, there fairy accurate. More on the higher side normally and you will almost never see that much power usage as your not running gpu + cpu workloads at the same time.

Out of curiosity. Tested this sample build

Corsair Hydro H100i V2

i7 8700 (Stock)

GTX 1080Ti (Stock)

16GB DDR4

1SSD

2 HDD

4 140mm Case Fans

Recommended PSU is 488W, let's say a good 500W PSU. Is that even okay? Please let me know your inputs on this. I'm still a new guy so enlighten me.

PS: Tried calculating with the K version of the CPU and overclocked it and also overclocked the 1080Ti in the calculator. Load wattage is 511W, recommended PSU is 600W. I really have a hard time believing since most builds with this kind of hardware get 850W PSUs or something

Untitled.jpg

You'll need like 420-430W for that, I would just get a 650, but don't go that far with a PRIME Titanium. FOCUS Plus Gold/Platinum is enough.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea thats right. Most people get overkill psu's. New systems really don't pull that much power.

So this means that these sites tell the truth (It's from Seasonic so it should be legit) 

1 minute ago, JDE said:

You'll need like 420-430W for that, I would just get a 650, but don't go that far with a PRIME Titanium. FOCUS Plus Gold/Platinum is enough.

Yeah. Just tested it out of curiosity. It tells me that these kinds of specs don't need much wattage versus the PSUs people are going for. 

Just now, MultiMigo said:

Yep, there fairy accurate. More on the higher side normally and you will almost never see that much power usage as your not running gpu + cpu workloads at the same time.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Looks and feels right to me. Thank you for the information. 

3 minutes ago, MultiMigo said:

Nope, they overestimate by quite a bit, 50-100W. That doesn't mean you can cheap out on a PSU and get a CX450M either. 

(better than they used to be, when i was a noob i used one and it told me i needed 671W for a R7 370 and i5 4460, which uses like 200W)

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

Nope, they overestimate by quite a bit, 50-100W. That doesn't mean you can cheap out on a PSU and get a CX450M either. 

(better than they used to be, when i was a noob i used one and it told me i needed 671W for a R7 370 and i5 4460, which uses like 200W)

Yes. You still shouldn't use cheapo power supplies and you also shouldnt spend too much for too much wattage

No, they are never correct and usually overestimate.

You should never pay attention to wattage calculators, find a reviewer who has done power consumption tests on a system with similar hardware to yours and follow those numbers.

This is easy to do, just go to google images and search up "GTX999 i7 power consumption" and search for a PC with specs similar to yours.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Wattage calculators are always BS and typically have monetary incentive to exaggerate to you, esp. the Cooler Master one.

Just give us your specs and you'll hear back from us. If you were to OC a 1080Ti and 8700k, then yes, 488W wouldn't be too far off, but it's still an exaggeration. My guess is about 450W.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'll be running an overclocked 10c/20t and 980 ti soon and have a kilowatt, I'll let you know how much it consumes and we can punch it in to a calculator to see how close they get.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious