take photo on the boat

zehao39

Hey guys

I am just in to photography. I would like to take some shoot on the sail boat. Howevery the boat is very shakey. do you guys know any gear i can get to reduce the shakeness on the boat

What are you using now that you're noticing the motion pose a problem?  What are you trying to do?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

What are you using now that you're noticing the motion pose a problem?  What are you trying to do?

I am using the D810. and i try to stand on a boat and shoot other boat, but the boat i stand on is not stable

Just now, LTTfanfromSweden said:

a gimbal

but will it work for photo?

2 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

I am using the D810. and i try to stand on a boat and shoot other boat, but the boat i stand on is not stable

That's quite a good camera... but you say you are zooming in a lot to take shots of other boats?  Hm, yeah I can see how that would cause problems.

Well, one option is always to just set it to continuous high and let it fly... odds are, you will get a sharp one eventually lol

But beyond that, you would need some sort of gimbal to help you hold it.  A good one could take care of the rotation fairly easily but translation may still be an issue.  I'm not sure what exists out there that would be sufficient for a big DSLR and a large tele lens though (the lens being the main issue).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Fast shutter speed, gimbal may help

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Using a fast lens with low aperture or a faster shutter speed will definitely help

I suspect the issue is more than just a matter of minimizing motion blur... just keeping the subject in frame can be difficult at very high zoom levels when you're on an unstable boat that is moving around

The problem is i am not sure if the gimbal will help, it will smooth the video, but the camera are still moving

On 2/2/2018 at 11:43 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

I suspect the issue is more than just a matter of minimizing motion blur... just keeping the subject in frame can be difficult at very high zoom levels

even I am not useing the zoom, in some bad weather, it is even hard to stand on the deck. but this is when you take good picture

6 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

but will it work for photo?

what do you mean? its made to keep a camera in place. so it will do what you need it to, its just a device you hook to your camera so you can take a pciute or vidoe or anything and the gimbal will work, 

1 minute ago, LTTfanfromSweden said:

what do you mean? its made to keep a camera in place. so it will do what you need it to, its just a device you hook to your camera so you can take a pciute or vidoe or anything and the gimbal will work, 

but my point is as long as the camera is moving it will still be motion blur. the gimbel did not just hold you camera in the one place, it just smooth the movie

well they make gimbals that work both ways, they make ones that will keep a camera stationalry, not moving up and down not moving side to side but they are more expsnive, so the only thing you need to do is keep your arms as still as you can,

what your asking is to make your floor more stable becase the floor (the boat) is moving and you cant control that, the only way would be to hang it from an object thats stationary like a drone that way there is no movement. 

if you cant stop yourself from moving up and down how do you think your going to make a camera not move up and down. you just have to take a picture at the calumet moment with a fast shutter speed.

as for the gimbal it should work, get a 360 degree one so say if you move up the handle will move up with you but the camera will be still in the same spot. so you can even jump up and down and as long as your hand is steady and not moving too much the gimal will make it so the camera will be in the same spot like it was being held perfectly still. you just need to work on using your arm like a gimbal to help assist the actual gimbal if you get what I mean. I understand what I mean but im not sure if I explained it well 

Really a faster sutterspeed is the way to go. A gimbal will just make it difficult to shoot. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

47 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

Really a faster sutterspeed is the way to go. A gimbal will just make it difficult to shoot. 

I agree, if you're already unstable with holding just a camera and lens on a rocking boat, hand holding a gimble will just add to the unstability.  Fast shutter speed, increased ISO if necessary, fast lens with good image stabilization and a bit of luck will prove more useful than trying to operate a gimbal.  If you want to use a gimbal on a boat use it for video and not for photography.