Computer started smoking

AManNamedJoel

I'm hoping this is the right thing to put this in so here it is

I was playing rainbow six siege when my computer started to make a noise and smoke came out of the top facing fan and I immediately unplugged it for about 10 mins and then plugged it back in and it booted into windows and works fine now I ran cinebench and it was fine I was expecting it to make the noise again I'm thinking it was my power supply but I'm not sure my cpu is a fx8320 gpu 1060 3gb and my power supply is a cooler master ex2 725 watt http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/extreme2/extreme2-725/

I'm wondering if the best thing to do would be to get a new power supply or what any help would be gracefully appreciated 

If smoke came out after a weird noise, I would check all the parts for a blown capacitor or other indication of burning

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

3 minutes ago, AManNameJoel said:

I'm hoping this is the right thing to put this in so here it is

I was playing rainbow six siege when my computer started to make a noise and smoke came out of the top facing fan and I immediately unplugged it for about 10 mins and then plugged it back in and it booted into windows and works fine now I ran cinebench and it was fine I was expecting it to make the noise again I'm thinking it was my power supply but I'm not sure my cpu is a fx8320 gpu 1060 3gb and my power supply is a cooler master ex2 725 watt http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/extreme2/extreme2-725/

I'm wondering if the best thing to do would be to get a new power supply or what any help would be gracefully appreciated 

Well, for one thing, check your internals. Make sure nothings damaged. I’m no expert but I’d guess you shouldn’t use a smoking pc. 

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

The best thing to do is smell your pc for smoke or inspect t all your components for any charred areas. These are usually indicative of where the problem may have occurred or spread to. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Before just replacing anything you should identify what let the smoke out. Check wires, look over the motherboard, look at the fans, other components. If you find nothing then peer through the holes on the PSU with a flashlight and see if any of the electrolytic capacitors appear blown. They can let out quite a bit of smoke.

I'd get that PC on NicoretteTM as soon as possible. Smoking is really unhealthy, and can have a real effect on those around it. Take this seriously, and give your PC the support it needs.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Id say uour psu is on the way out. Dont turm it on, it may end up taking the rest of the parts with it, especially under load. Replace it asap, unless you are sure that it was not the aource of the smoke

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

27 minutes ago, AManNameJoel said:

and then plugged it back in

I can't believe you plugged it back in after it emitted smoke without at all bothering to check what had went wrong.

let this be a cautionary lesson to others about fire safety and human evolution. 

23 minutes ago, emosun said:

I can't believe you plugged it back in after it emitted smoke without at all bothering to check what had went wrong.

let this be a cautionary lesson to others about fire safety and human evolution. 

Fair point I looked at all components before just plugging it back in thanks for feedback

45 minutes ago, AManNameJoel said:

Fair point I looked at all components before just plugging it back in thanks for feedback

It is a serious fire hazard.

I agree with everyone else.

Get in there and inspect everything.

In particular, look for any of these that may have burst open or are swelling.leaking-dell-capacitors.jpg

Older graphics cards have these in them too so might want to pull that out and inspect it as well.

3 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

I'd get that PC on NicoretteTM as soon as possible. Smoking is really unhealthy, and can have a real effect on those around it. Take this seriously, and give your PC the support it needs.

VAPE DON"T SMOKE

vaping kills

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.