CPU Cooler Performance Tier List

@Alex13It's doubtful the noise-normalized performance will be better on the Fuma 2 rev.B ? It's the same fan just running faster. They didn't use their LCP Wondersnail or anything. The noise-normalized performance should be the same, or very slightly better (within the margin of error). the Original Fuma 2 is 34.4dB on a 35dB GamersNexus scale. 0.6dB is not gonna change much.

The Original Scythe fans are not pleasant at higher speeds for the performance they provide, so maybe there might be some IC, Motor changes, for better Low-Mid-High specific frequencies that would make it more pleasant to the ear. (not detectable by regular dB/dBA measurement). Only with a noise spectrum frequency analysis Hwcooling does, and GamersNexus will do.

And hopefully changes that make them better with noise do detected by regular dB/dBA.

Also I finally remembered where I saw the most comprehensive, modern/updated P/Q curve graph that I referenced in one of my previous posts. It was on the T30-120 Review by VSG on Techpowerup. This P/Q is golden as it's the only one I've come across to have the new relevant types of obstructions listed:

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to repost this list in another thread but remove the models that are made in China, which is well known to use prison labor and has non-existent human rights?

It's a question, not an accusation against anyone.

Hi Just wanted a help on something related to fitment, 

I currently have a Lian Li Lancool 215 Cabinet with a Stock AMD cooler. I want to get the DeepCool AK620 Air Cooler for my CPU. I also have 2 sticks of GSkill RipJaws V and a AMD B350 Prime Plus Mobo

So I wanted to know if there would be any clearance issue.

My Second option is the Gammax L240 V2(Since it is the only one that is within my budget)

if I go for the Gammax L240 V2 how much of a temp diff will I notice vs the Ak620

8 hours ago, Quantamphysx said:

I currently have a Lian Li Lancool 215 Cabinet with a Stock AMD cooler. I want to get the DeepCool AK620 Air Cooler for my CPU. I also have 2 sticks of GSkill RipJaws V and a AMD B350 Prime Plus Mobo
So I wanted to know if there would be any clearance issue.

My Second option is the Gammax L240 V2(Since it is the only one that is within my budget)
if I go for the Gammax L240 V2 how much of a temp diff will I notice vs the Ak620

The AK620 should fit just fine and seems similar to the Gammaxx L240 V2. 

Temp difference is hard to gauge. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 4 weeks later...

My case phanteks p350x with deepcool gammax L120 v2 i change the standard fan to noctua nf-a12x25 pwm and additional 4 fan for intake and outake

-motherboard asrock b450m steel legend

-gskill trident z neo 8x2 3600

-amd ryzen 5 5600x

-palit rtx 3070 8gb gamingpro oc

My pc sometimes bluescreen depend on the ambient when i play valorant for too long im trying locking fps on 300 but still happen. this happen after im upgrade my processor from r5 3600. 

Did my cooler fine or i need to change it?

If i have to change maybe between be quiet silent loop 360 or corsair h115i or other recommendation?

Note:i dont have air conditioning

17 hours ago, Zankyoshi said:

My case phanteks p350x with deepcool gammax L120 v2 i change the standard fan to noctua nf-a12x25 pwm and additional 4 fan for intake and outake

-amd ryzen 5 5600x

Did my cooler fine or i need to change it?

The cooler is fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 5/13/2022 at 7:23 AM, WoodenMarker said:

The cooler is fine. 

After some trial and error changing fan position and reapply my thermal paste fixed the bluescreen even after 5 hour playing ac valhalla.

Anyways thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone add the Jonsbo MX400 into the tier list?

It's an air cooling cpu cooler 😏 with a 140mm RGB Fan. Due to its size I dont know how efficient it would be.

If it reaches at least Tier 6 I might buy it.

2 hours ago, YourDaddysDad said:

Could someone add the Jonsbo MX400 into the tier list?

It's an air cooling cpu cooler 😏 with a 140mm RGB Fan. Due to its size I dont know how efficient it would be.

If it reaches at least Tier 6 I might buy it.

The only benchmark I've found shows it performing similarly to the Gammaxx 400 V2 which is currently in Tier 7. 

https://quasarzone.com/bbs/qc_qsz/views/523451

Results aren't very surprising considering that the heatsink designs is very similar to a standard 120mm tower heatsink and the fan only goes up to 1400rpm.

Amazon says that there is a newer version of the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R, one of your top tier coolers. The new version is called Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO CPU Liquid Cooler, Mirror ARGB Pump, 360mm Radiator, Triple SickleFlow 120mm, 3rd Gen Dual Chamber Pump for AMD Ryzen/Intel LGA1200/1151  here is its amazon page. https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterLiquid-Close-Loop-SickleFlow-dp-B08BV4XVV8/dp/B08BV4XVV8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1 

Could you please look at it the new version and put it on the list? Its marginally cheaper than the old version. So I want to know if it has the same performance.

20 hours ago, Sewblon said:

Amazon says that there is a newer version of the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R, one of your top tier coolers. The new version is called Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO CPU Liquid Cooler, Mirror ARGB Pump, 360mm Radiator, Triple SickleFlow 120mm, 3rd Gen Dual Chamber Pump for AMD Ryzen/Intel LGA1200/1151  here is its amazon page. https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterLiquid-Close-Loop-SickleFlow-dp-B08BV4XVV8/dp/B08BV4XVV8/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1 

Could you please look at it the new version and put it on the list? Its marginally cheaper than the old version. So I want to know if it has the same performance.

It's already in Tier 2 as the Cooler Master ML360 Mirror.

• 3 weeks later...

Will there be much difference changing from a "Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R A-RGB" to a "Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT"?

Can get it for 130-140$ buyed new.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

On 6/23/2022 at 10:31 AM, MultiGamerClub said:

Will there be much difference changing from a "Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R A-RGB" to a "Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT"?

No. 

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

No. 

Thought so, but ended up ordering the 360 corsair one.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I am a little surprised that with 10 tiers there isn't more effort put into differentiating tier 1. While it's definitely the case that many perform well, the difference in noise normalized (or raw) performance of an Nzxt x72 with an arctic freezer 360/420 is huge. In fact, the arctic freezer II 280mm is better than most 360 yet it is in tier 2. (There are more examples but I could definitely find GN results comparing these two explicitly). Also the top air coolers should be in the tier 2 not tier 4 list (NHD-15, DRP4) based on similar coolers. 

If the tiers are split by performance where the load is close to the max cooling capacity, then the difference between tier 1 and tier 2 should be at least 10C given how wide the performance gap in tier 1. This would suggest about 6-8 tiers maximum though, so it's not quite clear to me how the tiers are decided. 

6 hours ago, R.dry1st said:

I am a little surprised that with 10 tiers there isn't more effort put into differentiating tier 1. While it's definitely the case that many perform well, the difference in noise normalized (or raw) performance of an Nzxt x72 with an arctic freezer 360/420 is huge. In fact, the arctic freezer II 280mm is better than most 360 yet it is in tier 2. (There are more examples but I could definitely find GN results comparing these two explicitly). Also the top air coolers should be in the tier 2 not tier 4 list (NHD-15, DRP4) based on similar coolers. 

If the tiers are split by performance where the load is close to the max cooling capacity, then the difference between tier 1 and tier 2 should be at least 10C given how wide the performance gap in tier 1. This would suggest about 6-8 tiers maximum though, so it's not quite clear to me how the tiers are decided. 

There's no defined gap in performance between tiers. It isn't a set temperature delta since that can scale wildly with testing conditions.

The only defining factor is that coolers in a higher tier perform better than coolers in a lower tier. 

There isn't enough data to cleanly separate Tier 1 into more tiers without compromising that one defining factor.

The Arctic Freezer II 280 trades blows with coolers in its current tier more often than it does with the coolers in Tier 1. The same can be said for the NH-D15 or DRP4 and their respective tiers. They don't clearly outperform coolers in their current tiers.

Hi there. Could you guys advice me about an aio for a dell precision t3610 with a xeon e5-2610v1 with a stock cooler with very high temps, like 65/70º. could you guys give me a hand please? my board is narrow ilm only. thanks

Multi-Platform LGA2011 narrow ILM and AMD mount.png

On 7/1/2022 at 8:45 AM, Kr6zY_b33 said:

Hi there. Could you guys advice me about an aio for a dell precision t3610 with a xeon e5-2610v1 with a stock cooler with very high temps, like 65/70º. 

Is that at idle or load? The e5-2610v1 lists a tcase of 77.4°C for the IHS. The IHS runs cooler than the cores so that translates to roughly 90°C+ for the cores. 

on idle, but im thinking of buying a 2697v2 or 2687W V2. I heard very good things about the Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3u, but i dont know if an aio it would be better...

15 hours ago, Kr6zY_b33 said:

on idle, but im thinking of buying a 2697v2 or 2687W V2. I heard very good things about the Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3u, but i dont know if an aio it would be better...

That's pretty warm. What are load temps? Have you tried replacing the thermal paste?

The NH-D9DX i4 3u seems better than the stock cooler. Do you know if there's enough clearance for it? 

An AIO should perform better but fitment in the case may be an issue and it's probably not worth spending so much on an old platform. 

• 3 weeks later...

where would you put ID COOLING SE-213-V2 and PCCOOLER PALADIN 400?

• 3 weeks later...

Best value coolers by FAR atm are the silentiumpc spartan 5 / max. 160w/180w TDP rated , the only difference between these two is that the max has 2 extra heatpipes. but for a 65w-95w TDP cpu it should not be noticeble at all, maybe 1-2 degree C difference in stress tests.

It's true that the id cooling 224 xt(23 euro) performs a little bit better than these 2 but mainly on 95w+ TDP rated CPU'S, also the spartan 5's cooler is far more silent and better quality than the 224 xt. at 1500rpm the spartan 5 is extremely silent and has also a MTBF of 100.000 hours. So btw, i used both the 224 xt and the 5 max and i think the 5 max is the superior choice when considering it's very low noise level at max RPM. At 1100-1200RPM was inaudible, and at 1500rpm it was still very silent, barely notice and it's a very pleasant sound(PC is 0.7m near). The 224 xt hits 1600-1650 rpm when the temps get to 60-65C and it's defenetely a loud cooler at those RPM's(even at 1050-1100rpm the sound is noticeble). in p95 small fft max heat test with the 5 max i hit 67C max and with the 224 xt 64C , this with a 5600g) but i think the thermal was applied incorectly when installing the 5 max (used preaplied thermal paste which is very poor quality and it was dry and unevenly spread, on the 224 xt i switch to some cooler master themal paste)

In Europe you can get the spartan 5 for like 17 euro and the max for around 23euros. (i don't even think that the max worth the extra 5 euros for 65-95w TDP CPU's, the spartan 5 is more than good enough)

Amazing value and performance for the price.