FX 8350/RX-460 low fps in CS:GO

OopsThatIsMine

As the title says, I'n running an FX-8350 and a 4GB RX 460 with 16GB of 1600MHz ram. I'm getting 40/50 fps in-game at 1080p and CAM says my graphics card is pinned at ~90% all the time. Is there a fix for this?

its called the solar system because our sun is called sol

10 minutes ago, OopsThatIsMine said:

As the title says, I'n running an FX-8350 and a 4GB RX 460 with 16GB of 1600MHz ram. I'm getting 40/50 fps in-game at 1080p and CAM says my graphics card is pinned at ~90% all the time. Is there a fix for this?

Get a better CPU. That's really it.

13 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Get a better CPU. That's really it.

This reply is pretty ignorant.  It's freakin' Counter-Strike Global Offensive, it's not exactly the most CPU bound game out there, not by a loooooooooong shot.  An FX-8350 is more than enough to get great performance out of CS:GO.

25 minutes ago, OopsThatIsMine said:

Overclock?

Rx580 Red Devil

Msi b40 tomahawk

Ryzen 5 2600

NZXT H500

Arctic Freezer 33 

EVGA supernova 650 watts 80+ gold

3x WD caviar blue 1tb HDD

1x Corsair SSD

11 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

This reply is pretty ignorant.  It's freakin' Counter-Strike Global Offensive, it's not exactly the most CPU bound game out there, not by a loooooooooong shot.  An FX-8350 is more than enough to get great performance out of CS:GO.

It is actually more of a CPU than GPU bound game. And it uses 1 core heavily. Remember, stock (4GHz) they are only as fast single threaded as an i5 5300u (2.9GHz turbo):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sxzGshuqVtFe_2zgRhN3gXCraR7d8p-NazJ6z0nsGGc/edit#gid=1

36 minutes ago, OopsThatIsMine said:

Just save up, and replace it with something that is at least decent. The FX series is terrible for any game except Battlefield 4.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

It is actually more of a CPU than GPU bound game. And it uses 1 core heavily. And remember, stock (4GHz) they are only as fast single threaded as an i5 5300u (2.9GHz turbo):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sxzGshuqVtFe_2zgRhN3gXCraR7d8p-NazJ6z0nsGGc/edit#gid=1

Regardless, the FX-8350 will be -beyond- enough to hit 60fps locked.  You can argue it all you want, this is a GPU or other issue.  Telling someone to replace their CPU to fix the problem, which would likely include a new motherboard at this point, possibly RAM, is basically saying 'Set a bunch of money on fire and then your problem won't get better.'

13 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Regardless, the FX-8350 will be -beyond- enough to hit 60fps locked.  You can argue it all you want, this is a GPU or other issue.  Telling someone to replace their CPU to fix the problem, which would likely include a new motherboard at this point, possibly RAM, is basically saying 'Set a bunch of money on fire and then your problem won't get better.'

I said to save up. Because even an upgrade to a dual core i3/Ryzen 3 would be an upgrade in all tasks (excluding compressing files).

PMSL

Reinstall your drivers and check the game files, tune Windows power saving options, use a high performance setting to play and the standard while you're idling

back in the day I was able to hit 4.845 with that chip but If you're using stock cooling on both cpu and mobo that wouldn't be safe at all

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 hours ago, OopsThatIsMine said:

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Im going to have to agree with @AshleyAshes on this one. According to the CS Go product page, your system specs are way over the min requirements needed. What I would do is open task manager while the game is open and see what CPU and Ram usage is. Im wondering if something else is running in the back ground and either hammering you CPU or using a lot of ram to the point that Windows is having to use the paging file. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

25 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Im going to have to agree with @AshleyAshes on this one. According to the CS Go product page, your system specs are way over the min requirements needed. What I would do is open task manager while the game is open and see what CPU and Ram usage is. Im wondering if something else is running in the back ground and either hammering you CPU or using a lot of ram to the point that Windows is having to use the paging file. 

I've been using CAM to monitor while in game, and my GPU has been getting about 90% usage while my CPU is sitting on about 20. Checked memory usage on task manager and I still have 10GB of my 16 not being used.

CS:GO relies greatly in the single thread performance and the FX 8350 is awful at it.

The system probably could be extracting more performance, make sure to check thermals, DDU in safe mode to reinstall drivers fresh new and the usual stuff... make sure OS is clean, now I don't want to get in the argue above but truth be told, the FX 8350 is a potential bottlenecked to high refresh rate gaming even with a GPU as the RX460, mind sound awfully simplistic but that really is a reality.

You need good single thread performance so the CPU can feed the GPU with information about what is going on in the world fast enough so it can draw as many frames as possible, so the higher fps you want the best performing cores are desirable, many times even above the raw number of cores as we can see even the Pentium G4560 outperforms the FX8350 nowadays and that is a 2 cores processor vs an 8 cores processor.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

CS:GO relies greatly in the single thread performance and the FX 8350 is awful at it.

The system probably could be extracting more performance, make sure to check thermals, DDU in safe mode to reinstall drivers fresh new and the usual stuff... make sure OS is clean, now I don't want to get in the argue above but truth be told, the FX 8350 is a potential bottlenecked to high refresh rate gaming even with a GPU as the RX460, mind sound awfully simplistic but that really is a reality.

You need good single thread performance so the CPU can feed the GPU with information about what is going on in the world fast enough so it can draw as many frames as possible, so the higher fps you want the best performing cores are desirable, many times even above the raw number of cores as we can see even the Pentium G4560 outperforms the FX8350 nowadays and that is a 2 cores processor vs an 8 cores processor.

I did a DDU and it fixed it temporarily, but now it's bad again. I haven't got a clean OS though so I might try that.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

CS:GO is a CPU-bound game.

An FX-8350 should react at least 150 -  200 fps when overclocked, maybe more however. I would reccommend a better graphics card. At least a GTX 770 or higher - which can be found cheaply these days.

So I discovered something. CS runs worse if I've run another game before it on the same boot. If I run CS first then I get about 100fps. Idk if this helps at all but I found it interesting.

Another update - after overclocking by 0.1 GHz it runs at 150+fps pretty consistently. I have no idea why.

28 minutes ago, OopsThatIsMine said:

Another update - after overclocking by 0.1 GHz it runs at 150+fps pretty consistently. I have no idea why.

Perhaps it was AMD's "Turbocore" interfering then. My laptop's APU has better FPS with it locked at 1.6GHz instead of turboing to 1.8-2.4GHz, then dropping to between 800-1.4GHz (even in Oblivion).

PMSL

Update 3; I think it's my graphics card. It's constantly at 90-100% usage and my display cuts out randomly. 

OK so I put a GT 1030 in and all the problems are fixed so I know that it was my gpu now. Thanks all.

7 minutes ago, OopsThatIsMine said:

OK so I put a GT 1030 in and all the problems are fixed so I know that it was my gpu now. Thanks all.

Lets have a moment of silence for the fallen GPU.......... :(

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.