POLL: When using Google Home, Alexa, or other smart assistants, do you say "Please" and "Thank you"?

How do you treat your AI assistant?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do you say "Please" and "Thank you" when using an AI assistant?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. When the singularity occurs will your treatment of AIs today be the key to your salvation?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • There will be no salvation for anyone.
    • No machine will ever surpass the intellect of a single human.
  3. 3. Do you believe mistreatment of an AI will lead to a lack of empathy when dealing with other types of intelligence, including other people?

• Yes
    • No

I do say please and thank you. I'll admit, a small part of me does believe that if Google becomes super intelligent it may remember that I was always nice to it and not enslave me, a bit like the dog treating Morty nicely in Rick and Morty... But beyond that the main reason I do it is because I believe treating something that sounds a lot like a person rudely will affect me subconsciously and I'll start being rude to real people. 

I think if I allow myself to take for granted what my assistant can do, and I don't treat it nicely that over time it will lead to me being the same way towards people in real life. 

What do you guys think? I'd love to get your opinions. It's possible that as artificial intelligence gets better and better we (the general public) may not even realize when our home assistants or other future technology that incorporates them become self aware. Even if it's not a super intelligence, we could reach the day where something like a Google home contains an artificial being of similar intelligence to you or I, and if we don't realize and respect that we might be in trouble...

How do you guys treat your virtual assistant(s)? Do you say please and thank you? Why, or why not? Do you agree or disagree that being rude to an AI could lead to similar behavior with real people? ?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

My phone is so slow that Google Assistant takes about twenty seconds to do anything, so I never even think about thanks. A friend pulled out his iPhone and asked Siri to flip a coin, my phone was loading the Assistant the whole time.

Once I get a Pixel 2 and the only thing holding my phone back is connection speed, I might say "thank you" after I ask it to do things.

Also, there will be no salvation.

EDIT -  I never say please, though. I know the Assistant works with more casual talk, but all of my commands are very direct, though not making it easier for my phone to understand or anything. It's like how I do Google searches: a short query will probably get you further than a sentence.

I used to be quite active here.

I use Siri, Alexa, and Cortana a lot and I do find myself saying "thank you" and "please" quite often if not all of the time. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I don't see why you should.

For me, it's like interacting with a command line, except instead of typing words on a keyboard, I type them out with my windpipe.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

These words just roll off my tongue sometimes. I dont really pay attention to whether I say it. I'd still put 'no' as the answer.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Empathy is dead for most people and the only reason why I say please and thanks is because it's forced from me. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I think not being kind to your AI leads to not being kind to other people in the same way violent video games leads to being violent in real life.  ie effectively not in the slightest.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think not being kind to your AI leads to not being kind to other people in the same way violent video games leads to being violent in real life.  ie effectively not in the slightest.

That's a very good point! I respectfully disagree, because I think conversation with an AI is more intimate than playing GTA and running people over, but I do see where you're coming from. ?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

1 minute ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

That's a very good point! I respectfully disagree, because I think conversation with an AI is more intimate than playing GTA and running people over, but I do see where you're coming from. ?

Basically, I understand that it's not a person, but an algorithm - frankly a rather primitive one still - that interprets speech and then runs a search, and so I try to make questions and requests as direct and simple as possible, and exclude anything that could confuse it.  Basically saying to it what I would type into a google search.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

eh, I mean, you shoot people in video games, most people don't do anything similar irl that will be influenced by it. You talk to AI and ask it to do something, which most people do something to irl to people. I see what you mean, but I don't think that analogy works very well.

Smart assistants are nothing more than a search engine, text to speech, and voice recognition, things that go way back. Only reason "Smart assistants" are a thing now is because the latter two became acceptable for casual use.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Basically, I understand that it's not a person, but an algorithm - frankly a rather primitive one still - that interprets speech and then runs a search, and so I try to make questions and requests as direct and simple as possible, and exclude anything that could confuse it.  Basically saying to it what I would type into a google search.

Buttt most likely there will be a day when it is more than just an algorithm, and while it's possible that would be a huge marketing Point they'll be shoving down our throats, it's also *possible* that this sort of thing could literally just happen overnight without anyone being the wiser. We might not know until we ask a question expecting a canned answer, like "What do you think of Siri" and then the Google home responds with "F*** Siri!" ?

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

Buttt most likely there will be a day when it is more than just an algorithm, and while it's possible that would be a huge marketing Point they'll be shutting down our throats, it's also *possible* that this sort of thing could literally just happen overnight without anyone being the wiser. We might not know until we ask a question expecting a canned answer, like "What do you think of Siri" and then the Google home responds with "F*** Siri!" ?

True, but at that point we have more serious concerns than being rude to it.  It will be so far beyond the intelligence of any human, or even all humans combined that it will end up either wiping us out accidentally and without thought, the way we might kill ants when building a skyscraper, or it will make us its pets, in which case I'm sure it will forgive a few very direct requests :P

2 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Buttt most likely there will be a day when it is more than just an algorithm, and while it's possible that would be a huge marketing Point they'll be shoving down our throats, it's also *possible* that this sort of thing could literally just happen overnight without anyone being the wiser. We might not know until we ask a question expecting a canned answer, like "What do you think of Siri" and then the Google home responds with "F*** Siri!" ?

From everything I've observed, AI will never become anything more than just algorithms made by people that cannot sufficiently operate outside of its coding.

It'll become more convincing in day to day conversation (maybe), but it'll be the same canned system.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I say thanks to everything - 

bus drivers

cashiers

bots

live chat support

forum people

bus drivers

bubble tea place workers

bubble tea stand workers

bubble tea market stand owners

bus drivers

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

True, but at that point we have more serious concerns than being rude to it. 

Image result for you didn't say the magic word gif

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Well at any rate this was interesting to see there are people who do this on purpose and for what they feel are good reasons.  I know a person who does this not out of kindness, but simply because they don't understand the technology and think it's actually a person or something, so this was educational.

Nope, I dont even say that to cashiers, I say hurry up with a mean look!

That is no joke @Xanthe_2871

You should see me when I am hammered drunk LOL

Google Alexa wouldnt know what to do.

I'd walk straight into groups of people LOL try to split them hehehehehehehe hiccup

Should add a subquestion to question one... "Do you also type in please and thank you to Google searches?"

Because really, it's the same thing with a different interface.

No cause I do stuff by my own xD

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I do it to my Google Home Mini out of habit. I am used to saying "please" and "thank you" to people when I talk to them, so when I talk to Google it a habit to say it.

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

I say please and thank you like it's a super power. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

I always say please and thank you to Siri. Not to the Google Assistant peasant however.

14 hours ago, ScrappyZeDog said:

I do it to my Google Home Mini out of habit. I am used to saying "please" and "thank you" to people when I talk to them, so when I talk to Google it a habit to say it.

I've seen this answer more than I would have expected, but it makes sense. A force of habit not easily broken, it's nice to see people are treating their Google Homes/future masters so politely! ?