The fastest SSD for gaming, and one big problem..

Intel Optane promises theoretical latencies up to 1,000x lower than NAND. Could it possibly live up to such a lofty claim?

Buy an Optane 900p on Amazon: http://geni.us/ee1y (280GB) http://geni.us/S2Tl (480GB)
Buy an Optane 900p on Newegg: http://geni.us/h16eUSs (280GB) http://geni.us/4hXMAQ3 (480GB)

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

The marketing on these SSDs and NVMe SSDs in general is atrocious. They're slapping the "gaming" marketing on them, despite gaming being one of the main areas that it barely makes a difference. 

Why can't they just market them for what they are, excellent work/scratch drives, not "gaming" drives.

EDIT: It's worse than the normal "gamer" marketing, which is normally just RGB lights and a flashy design, but this is what I'd consider close to false advertising. It's marketed as making a huge difference for gaming, but it barely makes any difference.

It basically just preys on your average consumer that doesn't know how data is read and stored or things like random read/write and sequential read/write. 

anyone else interested in the key of the star citizen promo? id love to have that :D

What is the bandwidth limit of the PCIE slot, and is it close to it?

13 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The marketing on these SSDs and NVMe SSDs in general is atrocious. They're slapping the "gaming" marketing on them, despite gaming being one of the main areas that it barely makes a difference. 

Why can't they just market them for what they are, excellent work/scratch drives, not "gaming" drives.

EDIT: It's worse than the normal "gamer" marketing, which is normally just RGB lights and a flashy design, but this is what I'd consider close to false advertising. It's marketed as making a huge difference for gaming, but it barely makes any difference.

It basically just preys on your average consumer that doesn't know how data is read and stored or things like random read/write and sequential read/write. 

Personally, the main reason I'd use an NVMe SSD is if I'm going to be recording while playing a game, if not live streaming at the same time at a higher resolution. Otherwise..... it's bragging rights along with shits and giggles.

3 minutes ago, queuewho said:

What is the bandwidth limit of the PCIE slot, and is it close to it?

It's PCIe 3.0 x4, so the bandwidth is 4GB/s.

The drive maxes out at 2.5GB/s according to the specs, so not really close. 

Linus is like the Marketing team at Intel team...

"Our Optaine killed it in just under 29 minutes"

*See's chart stating 29:17*

17 seconds might not seem like much, but they only did 8 seconds of footage;) It can add up fast.

How did this get past post? My guess had to of been done either last day of work before christmas or on new years day.

30002-Simpsons-Beer-Drinking-Game-Gif-Im

I'd like to point out Linus can make mistakes but Post should catch them... Esp in performance.

Can you achieve the same performance increase with a "normal" optane drive, if you configure it as an overflow drive for RAM? That might be interesting because price per Gigabyte of a "normal" optane drive is way better than the ppG of RAM.

Looking forward to optane dimms... and the higher capacity SSDs

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

I think it needs to be drilled into people's heads that application "loading" is not just transferring data from storage to RAM. It's processing the data and initializing the application. Then maybe people start to see why loading times plateau after a certain point.

17 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

Personally, the main reason I'd use an NVMe SSD is if I'm going to be recording while playing a game, if not live streaming at the same time at a higher resolution. Otherwise..... it's bragging rights along with shits and giggles.

Unless your bitrate is at least 4,400 Mbps, NVMe isn't going to make a difference.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think it needs to be drilled into people's heads that application "loading" is not just transferring data from storage to RAM. It's processing the data and initializing the application. Then maybe people start to see why loading times plateau after a certain point.

Unless your bitrate is at least 4,400 Mbps, NVMe isn't going to make a difference.

Again, shits and giggles. Either way, it's one of those "nice to have"s, and definitely NOT a "need"

one thing i feel they forgot to test was framerate averages as frame drops and studders are often caused by the latency of pulling memory off of you storage disk which would theoretically increase the framerate of the 1% drops

Hello everyone. I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to get that whirlpool demo. I have Houdini Apprentice and want to experiment with it on my machine.

Star citizen on the box and you guys didn't even test star citizen??

The game recommends an ssd, thats pretty much the first time a game has ever recommended a certain kind of drive over just storage. I hope at least its an upcoming video or something.

I had Star Citizen on my raid0 hard drive array, and FPS was abysmal. probably 5 FPS and extremely stuttery. Put it on my 840 pro ssd raid0 array, thing flys. Id be super curious about a full video about this, but at least a mention or a quick check as part of this video would've made sense, huge oversight.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X | GPU: RTX 3080 FE | Board: x570 Aorus Master | RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ | Case: Phanteks 719

A PCI-e SSD for gaming is so pointless it isn't even funny.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

900p-cdm.png

900p 280GB connected to CPU PCIe lanes on my 6700k (stock) system. Just a recent single run, so there will be some variation and I didn't attempt to maximise it. The selling point is not in the sequential speed, as a 960 Pro would beat it. Look at the 4k Q1 results. Nothing flash performs like it, and you'd have to run a ramdisk to get similar.

Note I used CPU connected PCIe lanes in an attempt to improve latency compared to using chipset lanes. It is detectable in benchmarks. In earlier testing on another system, I also found overclocking the CPU also impacts the benchmark results, with a nice lift to random speeds by taking a 8350k from stock 4.0 GHz to OC 5.0 GHz. I'm thinking I really need a CPU upgrade to get the most from this.

Did it help my game load times? I couldn't feel it compared to the SATA SSD used before. That's not to say it can't be measured, but it isn't something I can feel. This is not the use case it is looking for.

2 hours ago, System Error Message said:

why not a ram disk? Now we can have huge capacities of ram.

Ram is even more expensive per capacity.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm probably one of the few people on this forum who have encountered a practical scenario that would benifit from this.  I can't say what movie, but it was a VFX sequence, the script had about 100 read nodes (As in, the script had to read from 100 different image sequences that made up different layers and elements) and some of the read nodes, a single frame in that node would be 150MB.  So to view the bottom of that script, NukeX would have to read different parts of any of 100 different files ranging from 10-150MB each, apply transformations and effects and such.  In total the shot hat about 4TB of assets though, so you'd need a LOT of these drives.

But yeah, even on four 1TB EVO 850's in RAID0 on an enterprise controller, it was brutal.

56 minutes ago, porina said:

900p-cdm.png

900p 280GB connected to CPU PCIe lanes on my 6700k (stock) system. Just a recent single run, so there will be some variation and I didn't attempt to maximise it. The selling point is not in the sequential speed, as a 960 Pro would beat it. Look at the 4k Q1 results. Nothing flash performs like it, and you'd have to run a ramdisk to get similar.

Note I used CPU connected PCIe lanes in an attempt to improve latency compared to using chipset lanes. It is detectable in benchmarks. In earlier testing on another system, I also found overclocking the CPU also impacts the benchmark results, with a nice lift to random speeds by taking a 8350k from stock 4.0 GHz to OC 5.0 GHz. I'm thinking I really need a CPU upgrade to get the most from this.

Did it help my game load times? I couldn't feel it compared to the SATA SSD used before. That's not to say it can't be measured, but it isn't something I can feel. This is not the use case it is looking for.

Ram is even more expensive per capacity.

true, prices have been through the roof for ram.

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

is it layered like those VFX reels that the studio releases after a while away from movie releases? O_O

First; All VFX is layered.  That's how VFX is done.

But it was something a hell of a lot worse.  Many of the layers were 'Deeps', which is a form of volumetric compositing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_image_compositing

This brings up a good question...

If I'm not editing video and the audio I do edit processes super quick on my current Samsung 950 Evo...

Is there even an advantage for me to upgrade to NVMe? I mean, sure, I like to be cutting edge, but my wallet has been telling me to eff-off lately. LOL

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

19 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

First; All VFX is layered.  That's how VFX is done.

But it was something a hell of a lot worse.  Many of the layers were 'Deeps', which is a form of volumetric compositing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_image_compositing

I had never heard about this before, at least not by this name "deep image compositing" looking at the wiki page... isn't it just compositing with z-deeps maps or am I missing something??

1 minute ago, iskander87 said:

I had never heard about this before, at least not by this name "deep image compositing" looking at the wiki page... isn't it just compositing with z-deeps maps or am I missing something??

It's more than simply having a DEPTH map.  Each pixel can basically exist in volumetric space.  In contrast, a depth map is a 2D image that is used to derive how far back any pixel in a 2D grid could be.  Deep compositing will allow pixels to be BEHIND other pixels.  This means there's a crazy amount of data.  Some assets were literally like 100-150mb pef FRAME.

Here's an example of a deep image converted to a 3D point cloud, showing the kinds of data held within the image:

c585f7b51fda166e575aeba51e447904.jpg