Router not reaching nearly 30% of 5Ghz bandwidth.

dronikal
Go to solution Solved by The Benjamins,
5 hours ago, dronikal said:

Hello!

I have a TP-LINK Archer C7(http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C7.html) router my laptop supports 1 Gbps connection.I have 1 Gbps internet connection and yet the laptop still reaches only 175Mbps while using the 5Ghz.Laptop model is Dell Vostro 15 3000 Series.I can't understand why It's not reaching max speed.I have configured manually the router no fast setup settings since I like to do it alone to make sure everything is min-maxed. 

Your Wifi Router can't do 1Gbps over Wifi, it is rated at 450 Mbps 2.4Ghz and 1300 Mbps 5Ghz, but that is not duplex speed so it is half of that. Meaning MAX BEST case scenario it can do 225 Mbps on 2.5 or 650 Mbps on 5Ghz, but again hitting that is almost impossible. Getting 1/4 to 1/2 of your rated speed is normal, so seeing 175Mbps is what I would expect, that sounds like a ok connection on the 5Ghz band, or great connection on the 2.4 band.

My router is a D Link ac3200, it can do 600Mbps (2.4GHz) + 1300Mbps (5Ghz) + 1300Mbps (5Ghz), and I was only able to get a 30 MBps (240Mbps) transfer on my Surface Pro(2016 i5 model) to my NAS. (NAS is conencted by Ethernet) (I was in another room about 20 ft away)

Hello!

I have a TP-LINK Archer C7(http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-9_Archer-C7.html) router my laptop supports 1 Gbps connection.I have 1 Gbps internet connection and yet the laptop still reaches only 175Mbps while using the 5Ghz.Laptop model is Dell Vostro 15 3000 Series.I can't understand why It's not reaching max speed.I have configured manually the router no fast setup settings since I like to do it alone to make sure everything is min-maxed. 

How are you measuring the speed and is that MBps or Mbps.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

How are you measuring the speed and is that MBps or Mbps.

I'm using legacy.speedtest.net and the most reliable server near my location that allows my router to reach max speed is Mobitel.The speed is Mbps.I forgot to say that the laptop is running on Ubuntu 17.10.Since I am new to linux and kind of lazy about it I have not been tinkering with the protocols to optimize them.

have you run the tests while connected via cable?

you sure you are in the correct units here? jsut to make this clear

you got 1 GIGABIT connection (about 125~ MEGABYTE PER SECOND)

and reach 175 MEGABIT (about 22 MEGABYTE PER SECOND)

- Can you reach the speed with a gigabit cable connection?

- Wifi is a bi**h. whats the speed without obstacles 5 meters away with direkt line of sight to the TP-Link thingy?

- Can the Notebooks harddisk keep up? Allthough 20 MB /s doesn't sound fast, cluttered drives can get slow as hell though. Didn't check the Notebooks specs though.

1 hour ago, dronikal said:

I'm using legacy.speedtest.net and the most reliable server near my location that allows my router to reach max speed is Mobitel.The speed is Mbps.I forgot to say that the laptop is running on Ubuntu 17.10.Since I am new to linux and kind of lazy about it I have not been tinkering with the protocols to optimize them.

You are testing your speed to an "outside" location. This means the slowest connection in the chain will determine your speed.
So you are now probably testing the speed of your ISP's connection and not your internal speeds.

Edit: sorry read something wrong.
Did you also try a wired connection speedtest to make sure your ISP's advertised speed is correct?

5 hours ago, dronikal said:

Hello!

Your Wifi Router can't do 1Gbps over Wifi, it is rated at 450 Mbps 2.4Ghz and 1300 Mbps 5Ghz, but that is not duplex speed so it is half of that. Meaning MAX BEST case scenario it can do 225 Mbps on 2.5 or 650 Mbps on 5Ghz, but again hitting that is almost impossible. Getting 1/4 to 1/2 of your rated speed is normal, so seeing 175Mbps is what I would expect, that sounds like a ok connection on the 5Ghz band, or great connection on the 2.4 band.

My router is a D Link ac3200, it can do 600Mbps (2.4GHz) + 1300Mbps (5Ghz) + 1300Mbps (5Ghz), and I was only able to get a 30 MBps (240Mbps) transfer on my Surface Pro(2016 i5 model) to my NAS. (NAS is conencted by Ethernet) (I was in another room about 20 ft away)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc