when do you think the pc craze will end?

xdeathshot20

so ive been telling friends latley to try and hold off on building a pc due to prices of components.  Gpu's due to mining and RAM due to dram shortage.  When do you think this will go away and bulding a budget pc can acually happen without spending $200 on 16gb of RAM and upwards of a $1000 for a 1070.  I know that bitcoin has been dropping lately but is that really enough?

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

3 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

bitcoin has been dropping lately but is that really enough?

No. Cryptocurrency as a whole needs to die.

The memory problem is solved once the DRAM/flash memory shortage ends.

Other than GPUs, RAM, and SSDs everything is pretty reasonably priced for building a PC IMO. If those three would come down in price, everyone would probably be much happier. I personally am not in the market for a new GPU(my GTX 780 should last a while longer), but the pricing these days has made me appreciate more and more that I was able to get it for free. I could not imagine trying to buy a GPU with today's pricing.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I mean saying that cryptocurrency needs to die as a whole is kinda right and wrong.  I mean yes everyone is allowed there own opinion on the issue but saying that it should die is maybe going just a little too far.

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

probably about late fall tbh 

unless Cryto currencies are banned in the USA then it would stop that second.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

1 minute ago, Eduard the weeb said:

probably about late fall tbh 

unless Cryto currencies are banned in the USA then it would stop that second.

well what exactly caused the whole cryptocurrency thing in the first place?  was it really just because bitcoin started gaing to much money?  there has to be more to it because people did know at least i assumed that it woundnt continue going up forever

12 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

so ive been telling friends latley to try and hold off on building a pc due to prices of components.  Gpu's due to mining and RAM due to dram shortage.  When do you think this will go away and bulding a budget pc can acually happen without spending $200 on 16gb of RAM and upwards of a $1000 for a 1070.  I know that bitcoin has been dropping lately but is that really enough?

Actually it is a great time to get into pc gaming if you are willing to buy used. Older high end components perform on par with many modern offerings at a fraction of the price if you are willing to look around and do your research. 

2 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

was it really just because bitcoin started gaing to much money? 

No, you can't really use desktop components to mine bitcoin anymore. 

2 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

well what exactly caused the whole cryptocurrency thing in the first place?  was it really just because bitcoin started gaing to much money?  there has to be more to it because people did know at least i assumed that it woundnt continue going up forever

well its kinda been just going up for a while and recently it's been up and down 

actually for a while more people were focused on eutherium over the summer if you didn't know so this is the second time gpu prices have gone crazy but this time ram prices also moved up because phone makers started using SSD's and DDR4 so the nan flash required in both made both of those items prices go up. 

also Bitcoin really exploded when it became more of like a normal thing that everyone knew about not just a small niche community of like PC guys or Miners ETC 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

17 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The memory problem is solved once the DRAM/flash memory shortage ends.

Other than GPUs, RAM, and SSDs everything is pretty reasonably priced for building a PC IMO. If those three would come down in price, everyone would probably be much happier. I personally am not in the market for a new GPU(my GTX 780 should last a while longer), but the pricing these days has made me appreciate more and more that I was able to get it for free. I could not imagine trying to buy a GPU with today's pricing.

I think your whole issue with crypto arrises from the PoW(proof of work) algorithm. Not crypto itself. Cryptocurrency as a whole doesn't NEED to be mined to work, and newer coins are moving away from it. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 1/19/2018 at 8:33 AM, Coaxialgamer said:

I think your whole issue with crypto arrises from the PoW(proof of work) algorithm. Not crypto itself. Cryptocurrency as a whole doesn't NEED to be mined to work, and newer coins are moving away from it. 

Bitcoin isn't actually mined from graphics cards its the other ones that are trying to ride the success of bitcoin like altcoin, eutherium and about 10+ more that still are using gpu's. If bitcoin was banned it would have to be universal to all of them not just bitcoin to have a real affect.

How are they using the other currencies in conjunction with bitcoin well they mine whatever currencies give them the most returns and convert it to bitcoin. At the new year bitcoin took a major dip it wasn't because a lack of support it was people taking their profits at the beginning of the newyear support never really fell during this peroid. But there is a greater risk to our economy if all of a sudden bitcoin was no longer a traded fund alot of our markets would be hugely effected by that.

There is no end in sight to the GPU shortage. High Ram prices are just adding to problems. Many people are just going to go to console. S GTX 1060 is going for the same price as a ps4 pro. Question is at what point will it stop being profitable to produce DIY components and develop or port games. There are still plenty of gaming rigs out there but at what point is the community in real danger?

PC gaming was never meant to be cheap in the first place, every one always knew it was the most expensive route after all a PC doesn't just game it can do a hell lot more stuff, mining is among those.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Its not looking good for the near future, thats for sure. But There are dozens of other threads for the same thing that probably would have been better just adding to that instead of creating yet another thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

8 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

There is no end in sight to the GPU shortage. High Ram prices are just adding to problems. Many people are just going to go to console. S GTX 1060 is going for the same price as a ps4 pro. Question is at what point will it stop being profitable to produce DIY components and develop or port games. There are still plenty of gaming rigs out there but at what point is the community in real danger?

A big enough crash, a bigger conspiracy or issue with mining and the trend of regular people mining will end. Manufacturers are now making dedicated mining hardware so that should have an impact on companies that are mining. I think there'll be problems for about the next 6 months and then it'll go back to normal

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

2 minutes ago, hmminteresting said:

A big enough crash, a bigger conspiracy or issue with mining and the trend of regular people mining will end. Manufacturers are now making dedicated mining hardware so that should have an impact on companies that are mining. I think there'll be problems for about the next 6 months and then it'll go back to normal

This has been going on for over a year, its not going to stop any time soon... don't get your hopes up. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

My 4 year old pc still plays games maxed out over 60+ easily. Don’t see why current systems need to be upgraded so soon. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

7 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

My 4 year old pc still plays games maxed out over 60+ easily. Don’t see why current systems need to be upgraded so soon. 

Are there enough Rigs like your's around to keep the community healthy?

Not being mean but it would mean i don't have deal with little kids with high pitch noise, but it still a form of entertainment but sometimes it just get annoying. 

I mean why don't have look at second hand parts? You don't have build using most "latest" tech ...

1 minute ago, Sat1600 said:

Yes, just check your local ebay/classified or china alliexpress which has some decent combo deals with  x79.

Magical Pineapples

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

Not being mean but it would mean i don't have deal with little kids with high pitch noise, but it still a form of entertainment but sometimes it just get annoying. 

I mean why don't have look at second hand parts? You don't have build using most "latest" tech ...

Yes, just check your local ebay/classified or china alliexpress which has some decent combo deals with  x79.

I'm happy with my current pc. I'm just worried about decent content

3 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

The community needs to get a job then. The parts that make up that build are all over eBay and craigslist. Or they can just buy a gpu for regular like like normal. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 hours ago, Ddarlington36 said:

Bitcoin isn't actually mined from graphics cards its the other ones that are trying to ride the success of bitcoin like altcoin, eutherium and about 10+ more that still are using gpu's. If bitcoin was banned it would have to be universal to all of them not just bitcoin to have a real affect.

How are they using the other currencies in conjunction with bitcoin well they mine whatever currencies give them the most returns and convert it to bitcoin. At the new year bitcoin took a major dip it wasn't because a lack of support it was people taking their profits at the beginning of the newyear support never really fell during this peroid. But there is a greater risk to our economy if all of a sudden bitcoin was no longer a traded fund alot of our markets would be hugely effected by that.

i never even mentionned bitcoin...

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I don't think it'll go away but it'd be nice if the markets would separate.

I'm interested in the whole dram price fixing result thing. As I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were price fixing.

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

The community needs to get a job then. The parts that make up that build are all over eBay and craigslist. Or they can just buy a gpu for regular like like normal. 

But they won't. If people are pushed to consoles, there will be less pc gamers. Less people on PC means less incentive to develop games and make decent ports. Developers are spending a phenomenal amount of money on PC games lately because of the boom in pc gaming.

I'm not saying we are close to there yet. But this could be a problem for years. That will take a toll

7 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

You do realize that a good chunk of the the player base run games on laptops?  Or heck, older systems?

Crud, I sometimes do some gaming on my ultrabook i3 lappy.  Yeah, it not powerful but there a reason PC games have sliders in their settings.

DIY PC is a niche market.  Been that way for a long time, especially the high end hardware.

Probably the cheapest route right now for people looking to game on a PC system is to buy pre-builts or look into the used market (I buy most of my stuff 2nd hand anyway).

3 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Good way to find deals on those along with lurking the sales area of several tech boards.  Main way I source the majority of my parts.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Sat1600 said:

But they won't. If people are pushed to consoles, there will be less pc gamers. Less people on PC means less incentive to develop games and make decent ports. Developers are spending a phenomenal amount of money on PC games lately because of the boom in pc gaming.

I'm not saying we are close to there yet. But this could be a problem for years. That will take a toll

Every game I play is shit or poorly optimized anyway. Don’t see it getting much worse. The player base on pc was bad compared to console 15/20 years ago and I still enjoyed playing pc back that and wasn’t a concern.