Ps4 Classic Games

Rambo3456

Hello i have recently got back into retro gaming and i wanted to start playing alot of these ps2 games i had as a kid but the issue is i don't have a ps2 on hand i was thinking about buying a ps4 so my question is does ps4 allow backwards compatibility in discs. i know they already sell them on the psn store but i still have discs laying around and would like so save some money if i can.

Sent From The TechMaster Himself

Thanks For All The Help - Rambo3456

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

no

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

You could always download a ps2 emulator.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Just now, bleedblue said:

You could always download a ps2 emulator.

I tried that once. Didnt go well xD

unless you using computer from 2006, most recent computers starting core2duo era + decent 512MB GPU can handle ps2 emulator

it's actually very good right now power isn't the issue, even if you have to use windows XP, it's fine.

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

unless you using computer from 2006, most recent computers starting core2duo era + decent 512MB GPU can handle ps2 emulator

it's actually very good right now power isn't the issue, even if you have to use windows XP, it's fine.

i ran PSX2 but it was so buggy i tried so many plugins and there integrated speed hacks and it just wasn't worth all the hassle

1 minute ago, Blebekblebek said:

It kinda depends on the game. My 4460+1070 has issues running Battlefront 2, but Kingdom Hearts 2 runs excellently.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

30 minutes ago, Rambo3456 said:

i ran PSX2 but it was so buggy i tried so many plugins and there integrated speed hacks and it just wasn't worth all the hassle

When? I have no problems with any of the games right now. There is literally 0 hassle using the PCSX2 emulator.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

there was specific ps3 model that could do ps2 backwards compat. most likely rare to find  

Remastered, most of the time.

if you want a PS3, i'd look for the 20GB model as they seem to be readily available.

10 hours ago, bleedblue said:

When? I have no problems with any of the games right now. There is literally 0 hassle using the PCSX2 emulator.

i tired running Ultimate spiderman and also jak and daxter precursor legacy and ultimate spiderman was just 1fps the whole time and jak and daxter ran fine but it would get buggy and the screen would start shaking

6 hours ago, ExplosiveSloths said:

Remastered, most of the time.

if you want a PS3, i'd look for the 20GB model as they seem to be readily available.

can i use ps2 discs on the ps3?

1 hour ago, Rambo3456 said:

can i use ps2 discs on the ps3?

Only the CECHA 60GB and CECHB 20GB models have hardware backwards compatibility, and those are the two models most prone to the yellow light of death. Why not just buy a used PS2 Slimline though? They're everywhere. I think you can use PS3 component cables on it to hook up to a modern TV. Also the fat PS2 can be softmodded to run roms off a hard drive, but those are much harder to find than Slimlines, at least in decent condition.

9 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Only the CECHA 60GB and CECHB 20GB models have hardware backwards compatibility, and those are the two models most prone to the yellow light of death. Why not just buy a used PS2 Slimline though? They're everywhere. I think you can use PS3 component cables on it to hook up to a modern TV. Also the fat PS2 can be softmodded to run roms off a hard drive, but those are much harder to find than Slimlines, at least in decent condition.

Thanks for the advice

On 1/17/2018 at 12:06 AM, Technicolors said:

there was specific ps3 model that could do ps2 backwards compat. most likely rare to find  

The fats since they actually have the PS2 hardware within them.

Those tend to be hard to find in working order since those are also prone to the yellow light of death.

If the OP really wants a PS2, I got a slim model sitting around.  No controller for it though.  So, OP would have to source one.  I have two PS2s, so I don't mind selling one off to someone looking to game on one.

Also, if OP into RPGs, get a copy of Rogue Galaxy.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5 hours ago, Ithanul said:

The fats since they actually have the PS2 hardware within them.

No they don't. Only the CECHA 60GB model and the CECHB 20GB model do. After that Sony cut the Emotion Engine chip out and removed the card readers. The later fats aren't so prone to the YLOD. The early ones on 90 nm lithography for CPU/GPU are very prone to YLOD unless you get them reballed, but the later fat models on 65 nm lithography use a lot less power and are much more reliable.

On 1/17/2018 at 9:19 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Ahem first generation Slim PS2's can also be softmodded using FreeMcBoot to play ISO's off a USB hard drive, albeit some games won't run properly or lockup due to the way cutscene content streams video data off the USB drive. Just remember that this is for playing ISO's of games you actually own, and not to be used to play games you "found online for free" :P 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 1/20/2018 at 7:38 PM, kirashi said:

Ahem first generation Slim PS2's can also be softmodded using FreeMcBoot to play ISO's off a USB hard drive, albeit some games won't run properly or lockup due to the way cutscene content streams video data off the USB drive. Just remember that this is for playing ISO's of games you actually own, and not to be used to play games you "found online for free" :P 

Fat PS2 can do the same or even use a hard drive. There are some third party ones that use SATA rather than IDE. No idea to their quality though.

I got a fat PS2 but looks like its lens is failing. Reads DVD games fine, but CDs not so much. I picked up a softmodded mem card/hard drive combo from ebay. Seller let me pick games, so I put a bunch of my favs on it. Haven't tried hooking it IDE to USB to load my own ISOs yet though. I only tried playing Xenosaga Ep I, which is cutscene heavy, and the audio skips occasionally and eventually gets desynced with the visuals :( I ended up just putting my disc in for a better experience. Oh well. Probably better on a less stream heavy game. Doesn't seem like IDE is fast enough, so I can't imagine its slow USB bandwidth. I should probably pick up a back up PS2 for when this optical drive completely fails since HDD/USB backups isn't going to completely suit me. Indeed emulation is getting better and better, but probably should keep a working console for the odd balls that don't work well.