8700 Seem to Sell out Faster Than 8700k

Been searching around for my 8700 which im going to buy but for the past month i noticed the 8700 seem to be getting sold out more frequently than the 8700k.

i guess people are finally coming to terms that k models are a waste of time lol

i never understood why people are so bent on overclocking.. its not like non k models are going to slow u down. 

by the time the chip becomes slow that it can't handle new technology, there will already be 3 newer (or more) generations im sure most people who had the money to go run out and by the previously  GLORIFIED k model will rush to buy on release date.

whats your preference? really. k or non k

amazon, B&H and newegg dont have anymore 8700 but guess what? they have the 8700k.

Sorry but personally if you have enough money to spend on an i7 you should really be getting the 'K' version. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I stand by the K models, overclocking is a great "Future Proofer" as much as I hate saying that.

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Sorry but personally if you have enough money to spend on an i7 you should really be getting the 'K' version. 

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy.. why go thru all the trouble? the k version is obviousl hotter and make u spend more on cooling. why not just settle for the non k and upgrade annually like they usually do

Just now, jgoonatilaka said:

I stand by the K models, overclocking is a great "Future Proofer" as much as I hate saying that.

the point im trying to make is non of them consider future proof. intel release new stuff almost every year and they will indeed upgrade. pre order to so whats the point lol

Just now, jgoonatilaka said:

Trust me overclocking makes a difference.

really tho? or is it just to brag?  that u have the superior model

3 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

u spend more on cooling.

And had enough money to spend on an i7...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

5 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

upgrade annually

Anually upgrading a top tier consumer CPU seems like a great way to spend a lot of money for minimal gain. o.O (Well, EXCLUDING 7700 -> 8700, that's really the first time here's been more than a trivial improvement between generations)

8 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

the point im trying to make is non of them consider future proof. intel release new stuff almost every year and they will indeed upgrade. pre order to so whats the point lol

Doesn't seem like your here to have a discussion about the k model. Rather you are looking for people who agree about the k model being a 'waste' of time/money.

/thread

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Anually upgrading a top tier consumer CPU seems like a great way to spend a lot of money for minimal gain. o.O (Well, EXCLUDING 7700 -> 8700, that's really the first time here's been more than a trivial improvement between generations)

yeah but a base 8700k is basically a base 8700 and if u overclock any k model cpu's you are shortening the lifespan of it anyways so future proofing is out of the way at that point 

2 minutes ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Doesn't seem like your here to have a discussion about the k model. Rather you are looking for people who agree about the k model being a 'waste' of time/money.

/thread

what?

4 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

yeah but a base 8700k is basically a base 8700 and if u overclock any k model cpu's you are shortening the lifespan of it anyways so future proofing is out of the way at that point 

Uhh... I don't think that you appreciate how little overclocking effects 'life span'.  Unless you're going for extreme bleeding edge kinda stuff, an overclocked CPU will last years and years.  I mean, easily, a DECADE.  My 4930K overclocked to 4.6ghz is 4 years old, it'll go for some time still.  My 3770K overclocked to 4.2ghz is somewhere around 5.5+ years and it's fine.

Unless you're doing something borderline insane, an overclocked CPU will last as long as it would have without overclocking it.

Maybe they didn't have as many 8700s in stock as 8700ks

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Uhh... I don't think that you appreciate how little overclocking effects 'life span'.  Unless you're going for extreme bleeding edge kinda stuff, an overclocked CPU will last years and years.  I mean, easily, a DECADE.  My 4930K overclocked to 4.6ghz is 4 years old, it'll go for some time still.  My 3770K overclocked to 4.2ghz is somewhere around 5.5+ years and it's fine.

Unless you're doing something borderline insane, an overclocked CPU will last as long as it would have without overclocking it.

so u definitely believe the extra money for the k model and the money for cooling is worth it?

If a non-K is good enough, go for it. If you know you can make use of a K, go for it. If you want to overclock the IHS off the K, go for it. You pay more, you get more. Not a difficult concept to get.

I not only overclock my systems, but when I run them, I run a load equivalent to Prime95 on them. 24/7. Lifespan is NOT a problem unless you're doing it wrong.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

Boi I got an FX 8350 from a friend that was ran at 4.8Ghz 1.45v as well as the 990fx sabertooth board that ran it. It was ran at those settings 24/7/365 for 4 years STRAIGHT (minus windows updates it was literally always on.) Ran it for a year at 4.9Ghz 1.49v before I sold it back to him (his new system died lol) and he still runs it at 4.8Ghz to this day on his now 5 year old h100i as well. Don't tell me crap about overclocking and lifespan that poor FX has been through hell and back and if it hasn't died then running your NEW i7 at 5Ghz won't kill it before its obsolete. GG

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

1 minute ago, IamODIN said:

so u definitely believe the extra money for the k model and the money for cooling is worth it?

It's hardly 'extra money' for cooling.  My 4930k doesn't ship with a cooler ANYWAY so I had to buy a cooler for it anyway.  It's running a Corsair h80i.

28 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I disagree with @IamODIN's premise that the K model is worthless, but your argument is also flawed.

The K model is approximately $65 more expensive. That's not chump change. For someone who personally has no interest in overclocking? The non-K model makes perfect sense.

And for those who love overclocking? They can spend the extra $65 for the K model.

Neither choice is "wrong", and framing it as such is elitism.

So, TL;DR, you're both wrong :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, porina said:

If a non-K is good enough, go for it. If you know you can make use of a K, go for it. If you want to overclock the IHS off the K, go for it. You pay more, you get more. Not a difficult concept to get.

I not only overclock my systems, but when I run them, I run a load equivalent to Prime95 on them. 24/7. Lifespan is NOT a problem unless you're doing it wrong.

let me ask this.. how much MORE frames u think u get? im sure not more than 5 fps.. so u spend all that money for 5 fps lul

1 minute ago, Vegetable said:

Boi I got an FX 8350 that was ran at 4.8Ghz 1.45v as well as the 990fx sabertooth board that ran it. It was ran at those settings 24/7/365 for 4 years STRAIGHT (minus windows updates it was literally always on.) Ran it for a year at 4.9Ghz 1.49v before I sold it back to him (his new system died lol) and he still runs it at 4.8Ghz to this day on his now 5 year old h100i as well. Don't tell me crap about overclocking and lifespan that poor FX has been through hell and back and if it hasn't died then running your NEW i7 at 5Ghz won't kill it before its obsolete. GG

you got lucky lol

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I disagree with @IamODIN's premise that the K model is worthless, but your argument is also flawed.

The K model is approximately $65 more expensive. That's not chump change. For someone who personally has no interest in overclocking? The non-K model makes perfect sense.

And for those who love overclocking? They can spend the extra $65 for the K model.

Neither choice is "wrong", and framing it as such is elitism.

So, TL;DR, you're both wrong :P

lets think about it this way.. there's good business decisions and bad. its up to how much you will benefit after you made the choice..

no mater how much money you have .. theres still good and bad choices 

3 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

let me ask this.. how much MORE frames u think u get? im sure not more than 5 fps.. so u spend all that money for 5 fps lul

Who mentioned anything about fps? I run compute tasks comparable to Prime95. I can use as much CPU as I can get.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

For sure, 'reasonable' overclocking.  Not razors edge getting ever last hert out of it to the point of making it explode.

Frankly, unless does something extreme, YOU RARELY see stories about CPUs failing even.  Usually a motherboard will fail before anything else.  Or the PSU or something else failed and it blew up the CPU with it.  But CPUs failing on their own doesn't happen much.

1 minute ago, IamODIN said:

lets think about it this way.. there's good business decisions and bad. its up to how much you will benefit after you made the choice..

no mater how much money you have .. theres still good and bad choices 

Indeed - but you're implying that the K model is a bad choice. It's not, if someone overclocks. Performance gains will heavily depend on usage. Some games will have minimal gains. Some will have large gains.

Other software will have significant gains.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

let me ask this.. how much MORE frames u think u get?

You ask this in this thread when earlier you spoke about ANNUAL CPU upgrades?