Has my thermal paste gone off? and some Newbie Overclocking Qs

I was watching a JayzTwoCents video, and he said something about Intel and "their ****** Thermal Paste".. I thought for a mo, could my own i5-4690K have issues with Temperatures due to poor paste?

I looked at HWinfo on my Pc and saw it hitting 99C on most of my cores and Saw that my PC was being Thermal Throttled. Ok, after watching Linus explain what Thermal Throttling is, I realise that I may have a long term issue at hand.

Since I've barely open my PC in the last 2 years, could the Paste have gone off? I've noticed that my idle Core temps have been slowly rising over the years.

If I'm going to have to remove my CPU cooler? would replacing the one that came with my CPU with third party help me keep my PC cool, especially when I'm trying to render Videos via CPU?

At the moment I'm not sure if I can afford buying a New CPU, which itself may not be a viable long term solution. Can I even overclock? or I am even using some OC with my Asus Z97P motherboard Turboboost mode. (JayzTwocents was talking about Asus MBs in that video, too.)

Finally, There's usually more than enough paste to redo my even older PC/media centre CPU heatsink too?

A new CPU cooler is highly recommended. It sounds like this might be a prebuilt PC so yeah, reapply the paste. Yes, you can overclock it, but makes sure temps are fine first. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

9 minutes ago, MSharpeWriter said:

or I am even using some OC with my Asus Z97P motherboard Turboboost mode.

That could be it. Do you have any settings on like a manual turbo or Multicore Enhancement?

The 'shitty' thermal paste isn't actually bad. The gap under the ihs is caused by the black adhesive around the die and not the paste. When delidding, the adhesive is removed and the gap is lessened which improves cooling. As for the stock thermal paste that comes on the cooler, good pastes don't make much of a difference compared to it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yo 99c is pretty much **** your chip up zone  what is your voltage at? Devils Canyon (what the 4690k is) does not suffer from terrible thermal juicy AKA TIM like Kabby lake (probably what jayz2triggered was talking about). However, it is possible your thermal paste went bad and the heatsink got really dusty (that can lead to high temps over time too). The stock heatsink is loud and pretty warm even with stock clock speeds so I would switch it to something like a Cryorig H7 or Hyper evo 212 unless you want to do some big overclocking get an even better one. A general tip is to never overclock with stock heatsinks unless you get a big daddy cooler like the AMD WRATH with the CPU. 

I just recently booted up a PC that I built for my friend a few years ago, it died yet again so I just gave him my oldest desktop.  Once it was in my hand's with no time constraint I realized that the cpu was running VERY hot.  I cleaned off the thermal paste and applied some that came from ekwb because it was the first one I found and my idle temps dropped 10c just in bios.  Maybe the crash of his system was due to extended thermal issues.

if you are not overclocking the stock hsf will work just fine.  I highly suggest replacing the tim (thermal interface material) as it can dry out.  After that watch temps and decide if you need a better hsf (heat sink fan)

edit: the stock tim was dry as a bone

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

As others said it's not advised to OC with intels stock cooler, it just can't handle the heat, also not advised to exceed 80C for extended periods. Some decent cheap coolers are cryorig's h7 or or coolermaster's 212 (there's more just two that stick to the top of my mind) and if you decide to delid the cpu to replace the stock paste inside watch a ton of videos, there's plenty of ways to screw it up so you can't be too well informed

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

10 minutes ago, DarkEnergy said:

A new CPU cooler is highly recommended. It sounds like this might be a prebuilt PC so yeah, reapply the paste. Yes, you can overclock it, but makes sure temps are fine first. 

It was kinda a prebuild. I got a list from Scan. I had (and still do) a tight budget. So any place I could save I took it. So all the disks were taken from my old PC, and two of them are on their 3rd PC, and still there. For the first year, I was running a GTX 650 Ti. I really shouldn't have been playing Fallout 4 on a GTX 650 Ti.

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

That could be it. Do you have any settings on like a manual turbo or Multicore Enhancement?

The 'shitty' thermal paste isn't actually bad. The gap under the ihs is caused by the black adhesive around the die and not the paste. When delidding, the adhesive is removed and the gap is lessened which improves cooling. As for the stock thermal paste that comes on the cooler, good pastes don't make much of a difference compared to it. 

If it's on be default, then yes. I barely touched my Bios. The last time I was in there was to do something with the integrated Intel GPU. Delidding sounds like a destroyed CPU being possible.

5 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Yo 99c is pretty much **** your chip up zone  what is your voltage at? Devils Canyon (what the 4690k is) does not suffer from terrible thermal juicy AKA TIM like Kabby lake (probably what jayz2triggered was talking about). However, it is possible your thermal paste went bad and the heatsink got really dusty (that can lead to high temps over time too). The stock heatsink is loud and pretty warm even with a stock clock speeds so I would switch it to something like a Cryorig H7 or Hyper evo 212 unless you want to do some big overclocking get an even better one. A general tip is to never overclock with stock heatsinks unless you get a big daddy cooler like the AMD WRATH with the CPU. 

It was at about 95% load when ever it hits 99C. I've gone a given my PC a dust every so often. But yeah, It could do with another going over, since the fans seem to be going pretty hard for the most of the time too.

4 minutes ago, Psittac said:

I just recently booted up a PC that I built for my friend a few years ago, it died yet again so I just gave him my oldest desktop.  Once it was in my hand's with no time constraint I realized that the cpu was running VERY hot.  I cleaned off the thermal paste and applied some that came from ekwb because it was the first one I found and my idle temps dropped 10c just in bios.  Maybe the crash of his system was due to extended thermal issues.

if you are not overclocking the stock hsf will work just fine.  I highly suggest replacing the tim (thermal interface material) as it can dry out.  After that watch temps and decide if you need a better hsf (heat sink fan)

edit: the stock tim was dry as a bone

So getting some new past on the CPU help alot.

2 minutes ago, MSharpeWriter said:

If it's on be default, then yes. I barely touched my Bios. The last time I was in there was to do something with the integrated Intel GPU. Delidding sounds like a destroyed CPU being possible.

It was at about 95% load when ever it hits 99C. I've gone a given my PC a dust every so often. But yeah, It could do with another going over, since the fans seem to be going pretty hard for the most of the time too.

Multicore Enhancement is on by default if I'm not mistaken. You should also check to see what your core voltage is at with software like CPU-Z.

Delidding is easily and safely done with a vice but I don't recommend doing it if you're worried about damaging your cpu. 

What cooler are you currently using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Multicore Enhancement is on by default if I'm not mistaken. You should also check to see what your core voltage is at with software like CPU-Z.

Delidding is easily and safely done with a vice but I don't recommend doing it if you're worried about damaging your cpu. 

What cooler are you currently using?

Core voltage is around the 1.2 V but bouncing around. Doesn't seem to go above 1.22V.

Not having the tools, and risk killing my main computer, is two good reasons for me not do it.

I'm using the stock Intel cooler that came with CPU.. which was most of the box that CPU was in.

Also, I just did a check, this PC was built in Late August/Early September 2015,

Just looked at some coolers, the suggested Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 is less than I was expecting.

49 minutes ago, MSharpeWriter said:

Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 is less than I was expecting.

It's a good budget cooler, although the Cryorig H7 or bequiet! Dark Rock lineup would be better alternatives if you've got the money.

Replacing the thermal compound would also be a really good idea

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Get a Cryorig H7.  It's the best budget cooler (at least in my opinion, and according to tests I've seen), and it comes with thermal paste.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

16 minutes ago, MSharpeWriter said:

Core voltage is around the 1.2 V but bouncing around. Doesn't seem to go above 1.22V.

I'm using the stock Intel cooler that came with CPU.. which was most of the box that CPU was in.

That's a bit on the high side but normal. You can probably undervolt to 1.1-1.15v to lower temps.

Have you tried reseating the cooler? Make sure to unlock the plastic pins by rotating them counterclockwise before installing and locking them by turning them back afterwards. 

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's a good budget cooler, although the Cryorig C7 or bequiet! Dark Rock lineup would be better alternatives if you've got the money.

The C7 isn't better than the 212 Evo but I think you meant to say H7.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's a good budget cooler, although the Cryorig H7 or bequiet! Dark Rock lineup would be better alternatives if you've got the money.

Replacing the thermal compound would also be a really good idea

I have used the hpper 212 evo and my current be quiet dark rock slim. The be quiet is definitely better (similar thermal cooling, quieter, smaller, less cheap feeling) and give or take similar in price. I would suggest the be quiet

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset