Maybe it's because I'm old...

ZenMonkey

I've been following case trends for the past year or so, and they're all moving to tons of RGB with tempered glass sides to show off everything, and it's forced me to think to myself "Am I the only person who doesn't care about color coordination, RGB features, and cable management?"

Just give me a solid box with enough space and good ventilation and I'm happy. I don't care how it looks, I only care how it performs. Now, I'll admit that at first I was cool with an RGB accent here or there, but it's become kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

I personally love it but when it compromises on functionality thats when i draw the line personally  

Im not sure what this signature thing is but it could use some RG

I personally dont care much about RGB, but Cable management and color coordination (everything goes with black) are somewhat important as a PC builder, mostly the cable management. But thats because I want to look into my PC. There are plenty of people who would take a closed off side panel and just shove thing in, so you're not alone.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

if it bothers you, you can just not wire the lighting; as long as it doesn't comprise the effective cooling and there isn't a cheap non-rgb case that is just as good, then just don't wiring the RGB, hell you can even remove em in some cases

I'm old, but RGB everything! Yay! #midlifecrisis

On the other side, one of my top cases is a GameMax Silent one. Can't see anything through it sound damped panels, but you hardly know it was on apart from the occasional flicker of disk activity LED.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I like RGB but only a medium amount. It gives the PC a sense of personality specific to user and any manufacture that adds it to their part/case is only giving you a fun option to play around with, you aren't forced to have them on. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I'm old, but I still care about aesthetics.

The fact that you don't has nothing to do with you being old, it just has to do with where you put your priorities.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

52 minutes ago, Orochimario said:

I personally love it but when it compromises on functionality thats when i draw the line personally  

I would accept no other answer given your avatar.

Just now, ZenMonkey said:

I would accept no other answer given your avatar.

lol

Im not sure what this signature thing is but it could use some RG

54 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

There are plenty of people who would take a closed off side panel and just shove thing in, so you're not alone.

I don't want to misrepresent myself. I try to route cables to get them mostly out of the way, but no custom sleeves or meticulous routing. Ketchup and mustard? Fine with me. Nobody will see it! Is there a stray cable here or there or a little messiness? That's okay with me if it's working fine!

Don't get me wrong, I am a stickler for keeping a colour, theme or aesthetic going in a PC but I have to agree that RGB is getting out of hand. I only add pretty lights to my builds simply because I like to keep this theme going and I enjoy looking at the hardware. I would not buy any component based on its RGB-ness, I would rather buy it without thanks.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

I'm part of the "RGB is literally cancer" crowd, so I feel ya'

Also I don't want to look inside my PC except when I need to change something so glass panels are also dumb IMO. I used to be into cable management because I belive it made things run cooler but Linus actually proved it made no difference so now I don't care.

My Ideal PC would be bolted to the underside of a desk or off in a closet somewhere so I never have to look at it or worry about it wasting space.

I can understand not wanting RGB and tempered glass, but not caring about cable management or even basic color coordination?  I don't see what age has to do with those to.  I would hope that at any age you would appreciate and want something clean looking even if you don't want it to be flashy.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

29 minutes ago, Acquire said:

I can understand not wanting RGB and tempered glass, but not caring about cable management or even basic color coordination?  I don't see what age has to do with those to.  I would hope that at any age you would appreciate and want something clean looking even if you don't want it to be flashy.

Cables are inside your case, if you don't have a glass panel why does it matter?

It all depends on where its placed. My gaming area is in the main part of the house, so both my wife and my computers are part of the main display within the house. Those have tempered glass, acrylic windows and tasteful RGB setups. My media center is in a simple black case with no lighting at all. My NAS storage is hidden next to my fire proof and water proof safe. 

So in my opinion it all depends on the circumstance. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

52 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Cables are inside your case, if you don't have a glass panel why does it matter?

It's a matter of cleanliness.  Just because something is behind closed doors doesn't mean it should be a mess.   I've built in cases that had no windowed panels and still made sure there was good cable management otherwise it just feels like a sloppily put together build.  I've also found it's easier to maintain/upgrade a PC when the insides aren't a mess.  Some people don't care if things are a mess though.  I'll never understand these people.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

between a super beautiful tempered glass+rgb computer or a black box of the same performance, i'd pick the rgb one only if it was the same price, make it 0.01$ more and i pick the black box.

and that's my view on rgb.

I agree, never cared about RGB and the big fuss with it. The only main selling point that attracts me is the actual layout and the dampening foams lol.

I'm 34 been a pc builder for years and i welcome tempered glass,I hated the acrylic windows pc cases used before.They scratched easy and was a dust magnet.And i do love the dust filters before them i had to clean my case out monthly now its just pull the filter clean it and done.Rgb has its good and bad to me,Lets just say your doing a color theme build and wanted yellow lights or fans.Well before rgb a lot of colors you had to kinda mod fan led lights and make your own led light strips.The color range on rgb stuff is welcome to me,But the effects are kinda killing rgb to me,Some people like that but i want a single color just on.I don't want my case looking like a honda civic off fast and furious.

Im old too. RGB can make a nice build pop, so I'm all for that

I'm interested in RGB RAM for some reason I can't quite explain. I feel like that's the exclamation point on a fully color coordinated build when you can't find a mobo that'll match. The computer I'm planning for 2018 will have RGB RAM and maybe strips around the inside of the case, but certainly not fans or under the outside of the case, and DEF not on my desk or computer chair lol, or my coaster (if you remember that prototype)

14 hours ago, Acquire said:

Worrying about color coordination inside my case is like worrying about color coordinating my underwear. The only people who are going to see it won't care. Beyond that, I have a solid black case with a blue LED accent on the front and a blue NZXT puck. My headphones and mouse pad are red and black. My keyboard is black with white LEDs behind the keys. One monitor is black with red LED accents. My speakers have blue LEDs. You'd probably be apoplectic in my computer room, but it all runs like a champ and I didn't pay 10-20% extra for it, so I'm happy.

14 hours ago, Howitz said:

between a super beautiful tempered glass+rgb computer or a black box of the same performance, i'd pick the rgb one only if it was the same price, make it 0.01$ more and i pick the black box.

and that's my view on rgb.

RGB I'd just strip out, but for tempered glass I'd pay more to NOT have it.

On 1/10/2018 at 10:54 PM, ZenMonkey said:

I've been following case trends for the past year or so, and they're all moving to tons of RGB with tempered glass sides to show off everything, and it's forced me to think to myself "Am I the only person who doesn't care about color coordination, RGB features, and cable management?"

Just give me a solid box with enough space and good ventilation and I'm happy. I don't care how it looks, I only care how it performs. Now, I'll admit that at first I was cool with an RGB accent here or there, but it's become kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

I'm building a non RGB, non Gamery looking PC in a CaseLabs mercury s5. only have couple white leds on ram/gpu. I'll be very happy with it.