What is the best air cooler for lga 1151.

Doovee

I have been deciding between air and water cooling and i would just like to know the best air cooler for less than 100 USD.

Get the most expensive Noctua cooler you can get, preferably an NH-D15 if you can afford one :P

It doesn't look as good as an AIO, but it will be more quiet and perform basically the same.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If the NH-D15 is too big for your case. The NH-U14s is also a nice option and its neck to neck with the D15/D15s(bit smaller version that does interfere less with ram). I own a U14s and im very satisfied. 

The Noctua NH-D15 is the best air cooler, competing with budget AIOs. The BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 is more quiet, but a little bit hotter too. 

Scythe Ninja 4. Not that popular, but has amazing performance.

It isn't even that expensive so you can easily fit a better fan into your budget if you find the stock one too loud.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

4 minutes ago, luddveeg said:

The Noctua NH-D15 is the best air cooler, competing with budget AIOs. The BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 is more quiet, but a little bit hotter too. 

Not only budget AIO´s. The Dark Rock PRO is only more quiet if you slap shitty aftermarket RGB fans on your Noctua heat sink. Dont know where you read or saw that the dark rock pro is quieter. 

2 minutes ago, Klemmbrett said:

Not only budget AIO´s. The Dark Rock PRO is only more quiet if you slap shitty aftermarket RGB fans on your Noctua heat sink. Dont know where you read or saw that the dark rock pro is quieter. 

I haven't yet compared them in person, but I heard from multiple sources that BeQuiet fans are quieter than Noctua ones.

And if my experience with NF-F12s is anything to go by, that could very well be the truth.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

1 minute ago, DJ46 said:

I haven't yet compared them in person, but I heard from multiple sources that BeQuiet fans are quieter than Noctua ones.

And if my experience with NF-F12s is anything to go by, that could very well be the truth.

There's basically no reliable comparison of the two for noise levels as far as I can find. Going off what people say is really not reliable, and the actual heatsink design plays a part in the noise levels, not just the fans. 

If you go by specs, the NH-D15 is quieter. That said, the fans on the DRP3 (or at least, 1 of them) spin 200rpm more than those on the NH-D15, so noise level at set RPMs is hard to compare by specs alone.

D15 performs better and is easier to mount. Dark rock pro 3 is quieter and looks better

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

44 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

There's basically no reliable comparison of the two for noise levels as far as I can find. Going off what people say is really not reliable, and the actual heatsink design plays a part in the noise levels, not just the fans. 

I read that someone compared them and the BeQuiet fan made as much noise at 500RPM as the Noctua one made at only 400RPM.

But I agree that the heatsink design matters. That's why I like the Ninja 4, it is almost just a passive heatsink with a fan attached. The wide spacing between individual fins lets you run any fan you put on it at low RPM.

The stock fan isn't anything special, but in the box you get two sets of universal clips to mount a 120mm fan to it. And at the price you pay for it you can easily get two high quality fans (Noctua, BeQuiet or Noiseblocker, whichever you prefer) and stick one on either side.

Case, RAM and CPU?

1 hour ago, Klemmbrett said:

If the NH-D15 is too big for your case. The NH-U14s is also a nice option and its neck to neck with the D15/D15s(bit smaller version that does interfere less with ram). I own a U14s and im very satisfied. 

U14S' heatsink is taller than D15/S heatsink. So if D15 is too big, U14S definitely doesn't fit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, DJ46 said:

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

D15 performs better and is easier to mount. Dark rock pro 3 is quieter and looks better

According to spec sheets of both:
Max noise at 100% noctua : 24,6 db at 1500 rpm Be quiet: 26,1 db
and at 80% the noctua does 19,2 db compared to 19,5 db at 75 % 
minimal but still noctua takes the cake but both are very quiet.

About looks kinda agree that the Dark Rock Looks better. 

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

U14S' heatsink is taller than D15/S heatsink. So if D15 is too big, U14S definitely doesn't fit.

D15 and U14S are both 165 mm and D15s is 160mm but the U14s is much smaller which gives it more compatibility especially with RAM.  And most ATX cases should support  this height given that its less than motherboard cutout+ a 120mm fan. Noctua has a list of Motherboards that support the D15:  https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/comp 

D15 and U14S are both 165 mm and D15s is 160mm but the U14s is much smaller which gives it more compatibility especially with RAM.  And most ATX cases should support  this height given that its less than motherboard cutout+ a 120mm fan. Noctua has a list of Motherboards that support the D15:  https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/comp 

D15's heatsink is 160mm, fans make it 165mm. U14S heatsink is 165mm. With fans as low as possible with G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 in 1st slot its 167mm tall. Just about fitted in my previous case. U14S' advantage is that it doesn't hang over RAM slots. Only fan does, but D15 has still enough clearance for most RAM, fan can always be moved to other side.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

D15's heatsink is 160mm, fans make it 165mm. U14S heatsink is 165mm. With fans as low as possible with G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 in 1st slot its 167mm tall. Just about fitted in my previous case. U14S' advantage is that it doesn't hang over RAM slots. Only fan does, but D15 has still enough clearance for most RAM, fan can always be moved to other side.

Not even fan overhang RAM slots on the U14s and D15 is 165 mm until you change Fans because middle fan cant get any lower to be less than 165 mm Just look at noctuas drawing of this :

NoctuaD15.PNG

1 minute ago, Klemmbrett said:

Not even fan overhang RAM slots on the U14s and D15 is 165 mm until you change Fans because middle fan cant get any lower to be less than 165 mm Just look at noctuas drawing of this :

Do I need to show picture before you understand what I'm saying? THE HEATSINK (without any fans) of D15 is 160mm tall. THE HEATSINK of U14S is 165mm tall.

The RAM part you are actually correct. I rembered wrong as I've had cooler mounted also horizontally. Still can be tight (previous case had 167mm clearance):

1080_e4d02318-db4e-4015-91c2-faa43d32f61

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

48 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Do I need to show picture before you understand what I'm saying? THE HEATSINK (without any fans) of D15 is 160mm tall.

I understand that the heat sink is 160 mm but when u mount the fan the whole cooler has a height of 165 mm :)

7 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Fan specs aren't really comparable between different manufacturers since there's little regulation as to how they're measured. At best, they can be used to compare different products from the same manufacturer but even this doesn't always hold true. 

Benchmarks and in-depth reviews are generally better for comparing noise. 

5 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

I understand that the heat sink is 160 mm but when u mount the fan the whole cooler has a height of 165 mm :)

The fan at the center can be entirely lowered into the heatsink.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

minimal but still noctua takes the cake but both are very quiet.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Fan specs aren't really comparable between different manufacturers since there's little regulation as to how they're measured. At best, they can be used to compare different products from the same manufacturer but even this doesn't always hold true. 

Benchmarks and in-depth reviews are generally better for comparing noise. 

Precisely.

Also, I'm not sure which fans you were talking about there. I'm not arguing for the Dark Rock 3 at all.

I recommend the Ninja 4 with the stock fan replaced by a quieter higher quality one.

With OP's budget that could be two 120mm SIlent Wings 3 fans and those are really quiet. (feel free to look at the specs if that's what matters to you)

16 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

I recommend the Ninja 4 with the stock fan replaced by a quieter higher quality one.

With OP's budget that could be two 120mm SIlent Wings 3 fans and those are really quiet. (feel free to look at the specs if that's what matters to you)

Dark Rock Pro has Silent Wings fans 120 mm and 135 mm and i posted the specs of them :) 

The main reason Noctuas coolers are more quiet and perform better is that they use 150 mm fans. Maxed out their noise level is about the same but the bigger diameter allows for less aggressive Fan curves at same or slightly higher air throughput. 

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:
12 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

The fan at the center can be entirely lowered into the heatsink.

Then noctua should fix their drawing :) 

Then noctua should fix their drawing :) 

There's nothing wrong with it. 

2 hours ago, DJ46 said:

Precisely.

Also, I'm not sure which fans you were talking about there. I'm not arguing for the Dark Rock 3 at all.

I'm not referring specs being compared across different manufacturers. 

Why the Ninja 4 in particular? It's not a particularly special heatsink and the mounting hardware isn't very friendly. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks for all of the advice I really appreciate it, and I feel terrible that after looking closer I saw that my case only supports up to a 150mm tall cooler. I will defiantly consider your recommendations if I get a new case at some point but, in the meantime I would like to know what cooler would work well that is under 150mm tall. 

57 minutes ago, Doovee said:

Thanks for all of the advice I really appreciate it, and I feel terrible that after looking closer I saw that my case only supports up to a 150mm tall cooler. I will defiantly consider your recommendations if I get a new case at some point but, in the meantime I would like to know what cooler would work well that is under 150mm tall. 

What case, cpu, and ram do you have?

I have a Corsair 100r for my case a i5 7600k and I’m not 100% sure on the ram but I think it’s crucial ballistic something I have 1 stick of it but maybe 2 in the future. I can give you the exact type tomorrow if that helps. 

I'm using dark rock 3 (not a pro version) and it gets the job done on my i5 8600k at 5GHz.

It is also rated to be able to take care of 180W heat, so more than any 1151 CPU can even pull from the socket.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

On 05/01/2018 at 3:26 PM, Klemmbrett said:

You known you can move the fan to the outside edge and run it at 160mm right?

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious