VESA introduces new certification level for DisplayPort cables

Glenwing

https://www.vesa.org/featured-articles/vesa-strengthens-8k-video-resolution-ecosystem-with-market-ready-dp8k-certified-displayport-cables/

For quite a long time, the official situation has been that there is only one level of DisplayPort cable, that is a "standard DisplayPort cable". There are no "DisplayPort 1.1 cables" or "DisplayPort 1.2 cables". A cable is either VESA-certified, or it is not. Any cable that meets the certification will handle data rates of any DP version. Granted, not all cables are certified, and many cheap cables on the market fail to meet the "standard DisplayPort cable" spec and therefore aren't capable of carrying high data rates like 4K 60 Hz, but as far as the official classifications go there has been only one level of DP cable certification that a cable could have. This is all based on a statement from VESA, here.

However, this statement was written when DisplayPort 1.2 was the highest version. It was never clear whether this applied to DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 bandwidth. On the release of DP 1.3/1.4 VESA stated that existing cables were compatible, but it was ambiguous whether the "any VESA-certified cable will handle the full bandwidth of all versions" still applied beyond DP 1.2. However, in the absence of a contradicting statement, and a lack of actual DP 1.3/1.4 monitors available to test it with, we assumed it was still valid.

But it appears this assumption was wrong, as today VESA introduces a new separate certification for "DP8K" cables, which validates that cables can handle HBR3 mode, or 8.1 Gbit/s per lane (standard DP connection is 4 lanes for a total of 32.4 Gbit/s). This is the full bandwidth of DP 1.3 and DP 1.4. In DP 1.3 (assuming 8 bpc RGB/4:4:4) it is enough for 8K 30 Hz or 4K 120 Hz uncompressed, and in DP 1.4 it is enough for the same uncompressed, but also 8K 60+ Hz or 4K 240+ Hz via compression (DP 1.4 has the same bandwidth as 1.3, but introduces a compression algorithm for video; exact maximums are somewhat vague, but more than 2x effective bandwidth).

Fortunately since displays that actually use DP 1.3/1.4 are basically nonexistent even now (I believe Dell's 32" 8K monitor, the UP3218K, is the only one), there hasn't been much mis-advice given based on the outdated information, and the introduction of this certification comes ahead of the anticipated 4K 144 Hz monitor releases which presumably use DP 1.4 (though in theory they could also be using DP 1.2 with 4:2:0 subsampling to reduce bandwidth; you can't let your guard down in the display industry ;)).

(By the way, if you want to call it a "DP 1.4 cable", note that a "DP 1.3 cable" would also refer to the same thing since they both have the same bandwidth. This is precisely why we don't use version numbers to refer to cable tiers, they often span multiple versions of a standard).

An interesting tidbit at the end too (emphasis mine):

Even Higher Data Rates on the Horizon

With the wide field of view offered by AR/VR displays combined with motion, the virtual world is putting more demands on resolution, refresh rate and color depth. In addition, two displays are needed for AR/VR applications, one for each eye, which doubles the data rate demand. Higher data rates will also be needed to support increases in HDR performance and resolutions beyond 8K for traditional displays. VESA is continuing to work on DisplayPort to increase data-rates by two-fold and beyond to enable the higher performance requirements demanded by these applications.

Any bets as to whether it will be called DP 1.5, or pull an HDMI and skip straight to DP 2.0?

Oh come on, the DP cable market already sucks, they should focus on better standardization (like the 20/19pin debacle) rather than adding certification that many vendors will fake.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

All this talk about display port, and its still nearly impossible to get a standard sized Displayport cable or adapter in stores. And those that I do find cost far too much for the length of the cable.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

All this talk about display port, and its still nearly impossible to get a standard sized Displayport cable or adapter in stores. And those that I do find cost far too much for the length of the cable.

I'm looking for a cable with reasonable cost because I think mine isn't working properly (probably the 20 pin stuff) with my new RX 580. It's a nightmare.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

4 minutes ago, Agost said:

Oh come on, the DP cable market already sucks, they should focus on better standardization (like the 20/19pin debacle) rather than adding certification that many vendors will fake.

The 19/20 pin thing was never a problem of standardization, it was always clearly stated in the specification how the cable should be configured. Some manufacturers just didn't pay attention and built a cable that didn't follow spec. Had they submitted their cables for certification from VESA they would have been notified, but they decided to start selling without certifying that it met the established standard.

1 minute ago, Agost said:

I'm looking for a cable with reasonable cost because I think mine isn't working properly (probably the 20 pin stuff) with my new RX 580. It's a nightmare.

Pretty much the only way to easily get one is off Ebay-and that's a crapshoot as to whether or not you get a cable that will work correctly.

PMSL

I just want to see DP on TVs already, then it will start to take off.

5 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

I just want to see DP on TVs already, then it will start to take off.

Why? At this point HDMI is surpassing DP in both features and quality.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Royalty free for one. But that's mostly offset by plastering the logo somewhere.

How else will we know if the display has a port called DisplayPort, not to be confused with other ports that may be on the display.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

20 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

ya.. no

Technically ya. They even have variable refresh rate now too.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

37 minutes ago, Notional said:

Technically ya. They even have variable refresh rate now too.

daisy chain, better connector, hdmi is only catching up  :P 

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Daisy chain, sure, but how many use that?

Better connector? How so?

HDMI 2.1 is superior in bandwidth than DisplayPort 1.4 and support higher resolutions and framerates.

Pretty sure this new initiative is because DP needs new cables for higher bandwidth to catch up to (and/or surpass) HDMI.

12 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

better connector

I find the latching mechanism annoying. Especially since a lot of cables don't have positive feel whether or not the latch was really depressed or not. And then there's the awkward positioning I get sometimes on monitors that have the plug-in direction parallel to the panel.

47 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Both of those things are nice only for permanent installation. But daisy chaining isn't particularly useful to many people, and the lock connextor is annoying to deal with when one needs to.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Royalty free for one. But HDMI royalty fees are mostly offset by plastering the logo somewhere.

Being royalty free doesn't stop displayport accessories such as cables being far more expensive.

PMSL

I think they'll go right to 2.0. 

1.5 looks too much like half, consumers generally don't like half of things. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yeah I think they could go 2.0 as well. 

We're seeing quite a great progress in display port so that's great. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

In my experience, neither standard comes even close to performing as intended.

On 4.1.2018 at 9:22 PM, Dabombinable said:

It's easy here and it's cheaper than HDMI

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking