Vsync, god the stutter.

How do I fix this vsync and stutter thing on low fps? do i alt+tab (heard it works from somewhere)? Do I play in window mode? Any way of universally fixing the stutter of vsync on nvidia cards?

No, adaptive sync wont work

no, fast sync wont work

no, no sync wont work

I'm about to blow my balls off if i have to spend 50 more bucks just to get an rx 570 for freesync.

yeah thats the obvious answer, but in the cases of explosions going arround in the game (eg battlefiled 1 where something like a grenade explodes it lowers the fps down to 40-50)

and the fps is low it still wont work. thanks for the answer anyway.

@AskingForAFriend, have you tried using which ever sync but disabling scaling in the adjust desktop size and position setting?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Disable all vsync and instead use triple buffering.

5 hours ago, Almostbauws said:

Triple buffering is a form of V-Sync...

The thing with V-Sync is that smsll frame drops are extremely noticeable. From the sounds of it, you're running your detail settings too high for your framerate target. No form of V-Sync will save you here. Scaling back settings such as particles and AA should stabilize frame rate and keep the engine from breaking frame.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 1/1/2018 at 1:20 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

Triple buffering is a form of V-Sync...

The thing with V-Sync is that smsll frame drops are extremely noticeable. From the sounds of it, you're running your detail settings too high for your framerate target. No form of V-Sync will save you here. Scaling back settings such as particles and AA should stabilize frame rate and keep the engine from breaking frame.

i know thats obvious, but if a part gets very intense or the game is so poorly optimized (pubg obvs) i wont just lower everything since i want some quality. but thanks for answering anyway.

On 1/1/2018 at 8:12 AM, Almostbauws said:

has a very nasty delay

On 1/1/2018 at 7:52 AM, Leonard said:

@AskingForAFriend, have you tried using which ever sync but disabling scaling in the adjust desktop size and position setting?

explain more pls

On 1.1.2018 at 8:35 PM, AskingForAFriend said:

How do I fix this vsync and stutter thing on low fps? do i alt+tab (heard it works from somewhere)? Do I play in window mode? Any way of universally fixing the stutter of vsync on nvidia cards?

No, adaptive sync wont work

no, fast sync wont work

no, no sync wont work

I'm about to blow my balls off if i have to spend 50 more bucks just to get an rx 570 for freesync.

Easy. That's the property of V-Sync. There is NOTHING you can do to change this. Period. 

This has NOTHING to do with Nvidia. This is EXACTLY the same on AMD too. This is simply how V-Sync works.

Explaination why this is so:

V-Sync makes your GPU go in sync with your Monitor (60 Hz probably). Your Monitor ahs 60 Hz --> refreshes  60 times per Second --> every 16,67ms.

This means, your GPU is FORCED to deliver a Frame to the Monitor every 16,67 ms.

You have 60 fps on 60 Hz (v_Sync capped), and perfectly smooth (maybe input lag, but no stuttering or tearing).

Now you have the Problem: Your GPU can't keep up. Your GPU is too slow to deliver the next Frame in exact 16,67ms. Even if you're just 0.0001 ms too slow, the GPU will wait --> The Monitor will display the previous frame for a whole Refresh cyclus. it feels as the image "stops" for a moment.

For the 3rd Cyclus your GPU does deliver the frame. etc etc.

In short: If you use V-Sync on, and your fps are below your Hz, you WILL have stutter. The ONLY way to get rid of it, is V-Sync off.

But then you have Tearing.

Fast Sync btw only works if your fps are 2x your Hz. 60 hz --> your fps have to be at around 120+, in order for Fast Sync to work well. Otherwise you can still experience lag / stutter / uneven frametimes. Also a property of how Fast Sync works.

Solution: Reduce Ingame settings enough, so your GPU can deliver 60 fps or more at all times --> no stuttering with V-Sync.

Or, and i would recommend that, because it's like Heaven for every Gamer who can see stuttering or tearing: Buy a G-Sync Monitor. No matter how much fps you have, be it 130 fps, 60 fps, or 23 fps. You will NOT have any stuttering, or tearing at all.

Of course, 20-30 fps will look just as smooth, as 20-30 fps can look like. But you will NOT have any Tearing / stuttering.

so if you drop below 60, no stuttering/tearing. Nothing. Just smooth.

Thus: If you do have a Monitor, that supports Freesync, sell your nvidia, and get an RX 5xx Card. Freesync / G-Sync is your Solution, that will feel like Heaven itself sent it to you.

37 minutes ago, AskingForAFriend said:

i know thats obvious, but if a part gets very intense or the game is so poorly optimized (pubg obvs) i wont just lower everything since i want some quality. but thanks for answering anyway.

If you are experiencing stuttering during intense moments of the game, it's likely the CPU is capping out.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:12 PM, Almostbauws said:

Most forms of this outside of Fast Sync aren't beneficial or only work in OpenGL (in NVIDIA's driver settings case)

47 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Easy. That's the property of V-Sync. There is NOTHING you can do to change this. Period. 

This has NOTHING to do with Nvidia. This is EXACTLY the same on AMD too. This is simply how V-Sync works.

V-Sync makes your GPU go in sync with your Monitor (60 Hz probably). Your Monitor ahs 60 Hz --> refreshes  60 times per Second --> every 16,67ms.

This means, your GPU is FORCED to deliver a Frame to the Monitor every 16,67 ms.

You have 60 fps on 60 Hz (v_Sync capped), and perfectly smooth (maybe input lag, but no stuttering or tearing).

Now you have the Problem: Your GPU can't keep up. Your GPU is too slow to deliver the next Frame in exact 16,67ms. Even if you're just 0.0001 ms too slow, the GPU will wait --> The Monitor will display the previous frame for a whole Refresh cyclus. it feels as the image "stops" for a moment.

In short: If you use V-Sync on, and your fps are below your Hz, you WILL have stutter. The ONLY way to get rid of it, is V-Sync off.

Fast Sync btw only works if your fps are 2x your Hz. 60 hz --> your fps have to be at around 120+, in order for Fast Sync to work well. Otherwise you can still experience lag / stutter / uneven frametimes. Also a property of how Fast Sync works.

Solution: Reduce Ingame settings enough, so your GPU can deliver 60 fps or more at all times --> no stuttering with V-Sync.

Or, and i would recommend that, because it's like Heaven for every Gamer who can see stuttering or tearing: Buy a G-Sync Monitor. No matter how much fps you have, be it 130 fps, 60 fps, or 23 fps. You will NOT have any stuttering, or tearing at all.

Of course, 20-30 fps will look just as smooth, as 20-30 fps can look like. But you will NOT have any Tearing / stuttering.

Thus: If you do have a Monitor, that supports Freesync, sell your nvidia, and get an RX 5xx Card. Freesync / G-Sync is your Solution, that will feel like Heaven itself sent it to you.

Thanks for typing all that out...now i dont have to....lol....your read my mind exactly

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

i would use nvinspector and cap the framerate at 60 (or 59 or 58 depending on what monitor you have these 2 can prevent screen tearing). no dravbacks of vsync, it just doesnt let the fps get higher than the set framerate. I use it on my gtx1080, since i only have a 60hz monitor, and locking frames makes the whole system run cooler, and eliminates the vsync stutter problem.

+if i saw correctly one of the games you are having problems with is pubg. if that is the case its not only a vsync problem i can have 120fps and i get stutters. the game is a sh*tshow as far as optimisation goes. thats why i dont play it.  

3 hours ago, AskingForAFriend said:

explain more pls

In the Nvidia Control Panel  you go to the Adjust desktop size and position under the Display heading on the left of the panel and then on the right you select No Scaling and then apply it and restart the PC. If you do not like it you can just click what ever choice was there before you changed it and then apply it and it would ba back to how you had it.

Know that every time you install a new Nvidia driver all changes in the control panel are reset except the scaling. Also you may want to use the other settings to get the picture you want.

h.png.a2de3ade625af389e41a1acfb8348f64.png

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

On 1/9/2018 at 6:06 AM, Darkseth said:

I know, and no I haven't bought a GPU yet which is why I need some sort of fix since I have a FreeSync monitor and there is a possibility but I would rather spend less on a GTX 780 and get the same performance as an RX570 for 100 bucks less. Yeah I'm a little bitch no need to mention. 

On 1/9/2018 at 9:10 AM, Leonard said:

In the Nvidia Control Panel  you go to the Adjust desktop size and position under the Display heading on the left of the panel and then on the right you select No Scaling and then apply it and restart the PC. If you do not like it you can just click what ever choice was there before you changed it and then apply it and it would ba back to how you had it.

Know that every time you install a new Nvidia driver all changes in the control panel are reset except the scaling. Also you may want to use the other settings to get the picture you want.

h.png.a2de3ade625af389e41a1acfb8348f64.png

Alright I'll look into it then, I don't have either an AMD or Nvidia GPU so it's difficult to research. 

lol i wouldn't call it beeing a bitch. similar performance for 100 bucks less sounds very reasonable (keep in Mind, the GTX 780 will have less Vram, and will consume more Power too).

But yea, i think your best bet is to set your Settings low enough, so your GPU can deliver 61+ fps at all times, so v-Sync won't stutter.

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

lol i wouldn't call it beeing a bitch. similar performance for 100 bucks less soudns very reasonable (keep in Mind, the GTX 780 will have less Vram, and will consume more Power too).

But yea, i think your best bet is to set your Settings low enough, so your GPU can deliver 61+ fps at all times, so v-Sync won't stutter.

okay thanks