2600k being replaced. 1600X or 8400?

Squazzer

I know there are quite a bunch of these posts around. Sorry! :)

But I havn't found enough about the comparisons of these two yet :/

My AsRock Exteeme7 Gen 3 mottherboard just died on me, and I now have a 2600K I cannot do anything with.

In my process of finding out what to do, I'm looking into buying the newest gen processers and making myself a new computer.

I have found that if I end up doing this, I might either buy the 1600X or te i5 8400.

The basics: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-840h0-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/3939vs3920

The 8400 has a 65W TDP where the 1600X has a 95W TDP. Easy, right?

Not quite... Many of the benchmarks I see, the 8400 is using double the percentage of its CPU as the 1600X. Would this mean that the 1600X would actually use less power when running a game? I haven't been able to find any benchmarks of this. :/

I have seen that almost all bencharks say that the i5 8400 genereates more FPS than the 1600X in games. But I have also seen that the GPU seems to run at a lower frequency on the Ryzen CPU's. Is this something to be worried about? Is the 1600X kneecapping the GPU?

Considering motherboards, it seems that all I can get for the 8400 is a Z-series 300 chipset. They're kinda expensive considering I wont be OC'ing the 8400.

Do we know anything about upcoming motherboards for Coffee Lake that are cheaper than the Z-series?

If you know of a benchmark or some resource online that could help me answer these questions I would love to hear about it :)

if you are looking to enter high refresh rate gaming then intel is the way to go. There are some differences to note here and it purely depends on what you value more

i5 8400 gives you higher FPS, but the r5 1600 will give you better minimum's which means lesser shuttering.This can be cause of r5 1600 being able to do more stuff simultaneously, Handling windows background tasks and gaming at the same time.  just google ryzen cpu's better minimums and you can see it yourself. But if you want pure raw perfomance then go for i7 8700(i know i know i am just throwing it along) 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Why would you care about the TDP of the CPUs?

I have to pay for my own electricity.

I have had my 2600K since 2011. When calculating on power used over 6 years, 65W vs. 95W could end up making the 8400 pay for itself in the long run :P

Is power consumption really that much of an issue for you? Unless you're paying a very healthy amount for energy, it's likely maybe $20 more a year if you get a higher consuming system.

Personally I'd go with Intel, just because of all the headaches that go along with getting a first gen set up. Granted most of these are apparently gone now, but it's left a sour taste in my mind, and I wouldn't really consider AMD until Zen 2 unless you're getting a very sweet deal.

Z series motherboards will still benefit you. You can turbo lock the i5. Easy overclocking.

If you do more than just game, or do multiple things at the same time, then I'd consider Ryzen. More threads.

2 minutes ago, Squazzer said:

I have had my 2600K since 2011. When calculating on power used over 6 years, 65W vs. 95W could end up making the 8400 pay for itself in the long run :P

I highly doubt that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, Squazzer said:

30 W is quite literally a lightbulb. 

8 minutes ago, Squazzer said:

That is tdp and not power consumption. Look at power draw benchmarks to see what the difference is.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

That is tdp and not power consumption. Look at power draw benchmarks to see what the difference is.

So where does the electricity's work go to, if not heat? Energy can not be destroyed, and the CPU has no moving parts. 

Unless you're referring to the way TDP is calculated

:)

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

As for what I have been able to find the Ryzen ones seem to have a lower power draw? :o

9 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

30 W is quite literally a lightbulb. 

Thats one hefty lightbulb :) All of mine are 5W LEDs

16 minutes ago, Squazzer said:

The 8400 has a 65W TDP where the 1600X has a 95W TDP. Easy, right?

Not quite... Many of the benchmarks I see, the 8400 is using double the percentage of its CPU as the 1600X. Would this mean that the 1600X would actually use less power when running a game? I haven't been able to find any benchmarks of this. :/

Well that's because TDP is a measure of heat and not power. My 5820K is rated for 140W TDP. Yet under a full load it'll pull up to 250W of power from the socket.

16 minutes ago, Squazzer said:

I have seen that almost all bencharks say that the i5 8400 genereates more FPS than the 1600X in games. But I have also seen that the GPU seems to run at a lower frequency on the Ryzen CPU's. Is this something to be worried about? Is the 1600X kneecapping the GPU?

That's likely due to the superior single thread performance of the 8400. Either that or those benchmarks just aren't "optimized for Ryzen"

Depending on what GPU was used during the test (lets say a 1080 Ti) then it could be driver trickery to hinder the AMD processors. Ryzen isn't going to be any worse for actual gaming. Not significantly anyway.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Well that's because TDP is a measure of heat and not power. My 5820K is rated for 140W TDP. Yet under a full load it'll pull up to 250W of power from the socket.

That's likely due to the superior single thread performance of the 8400. Either that or those benchmarks just aren't "optimized for Ryzen"

Depending on what GPU was used during the test (lets say a 1080 Ti) then it could be driver trickery to hinder the AMD processors. Ryzen isn't going to be any worse for actual gaming. Not significantly anyway.

So you are saying it could be a deliberate kneecap from the driver when running on Ryzen systems? Or did I get this wrong in the tinfoil hat direction?

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Where would those 110W go to? 

:)

19 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Ok, now I found other tests showing that the 8th gen from Intel uses less power than Ryzen...
Guess its about the same then

35 minutes ago, Squazzer said:

So you are saying it could be a deliberate kneecap from the driver when running on Ryzen systems? Or did I get this wrong in the tinfoil hat direction?

I've done a bit more searching. Some users are reporting that even on the Intel 6+ core systems the nvidia driver doesn't seem to play ball as well as 4 core systems.

Links in spoiler for further reading:

The real life performance is probably negligible and the drops are probably only noticeable in certain games.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I've done a bit more searching. Some users are reporting that even on the Intel 6+ core systems the nvidia driver doesn't seem to play ball as well as 4 core systems.

Links in spoiler for further reading:

The real life performance is probably negligible and the drops are probably only noticeable in certain games.

Thanks for that bro! :)