I hate Chrome, and you should too (yes, this is a rant)

MG2R

I should actually be in bed right now, but I must get this out of my system, because I won't be able to sleep otherwise. Here goes...

<rant>

I'm forced to use Chrome on my laptop, because, for some reason I fail to comprehend, Firefox keeps crashing. I have always used FF ever since I learned that there were other browsers besides IE. I love FF, it does everything I want it to do and more. I get a lot of misunderstanding because 'Chrome is so much faster'.

Right now I have been using Chrome for two months straight, every day. Again, not willingly, forced. I hate it. Yes, it has a sleek UI and yes, it runs JavaScript quite well. But man is it idiotically designed. A lot of people have mad a lot of arguments about who has the most plugins and so on and so forth, but there is one thing everybody missed: GROUPED TABS.

Holy crap. Are the developers of Chromium (and thus Chrome) that blind? A quick search will render you multiple threads about that one missing feature, some even dating back till 2009! 

I'm a heavy tab user. On a regular day (when using FF on my desktop), I will have about 20 to 30 tabs open about the thing I'm working on at that time. In the background, I'll have groups of tabs related to other projects. Whenever I switch projects, I simply switch out the tab group and I'm back where I left off the last time.

On Chrome, the moment you open up more than ~15 tabs, the title is only one letter long. At ~20 tabs, you only see the favicon. At ~40 tabs, the favicon disappears and you're left with a whole bunch of completely indistinguishable tabs. And I'm really pushing at here... At 15 tabs, the tabs get indistinguishable as well if you visit multiple pages of one website. There is no way to group them except for opening loads of windows. With easily more then ten tab groups, that's not really feasible.

How in the name of everything that is holy can anyone consider Chrome to be a good browser if they want to be productive?

Yes, I know, there are some plugins. None of them do what I want them to do and all of them fail at bringing the basic functionality FF has built in for years now.

</rant>

There, that's better. I'm off to bed now. Night.

He's explained my issues so well...good thing I'm upgrading my RAM

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

haha, good night man.

not sure about you but i have 2 screens soooo..... 15-20 tabs on each? :P

i honestly don't have THAT many tabs though .. maybe 20 if im researching something and bouncing back and forth but aside from that i don't see a need to have 20-30+ tabs on a regular basis...

Well I'd say that everyone has their preference. I would say I don't really care as long as it works. FireFox is being a pain for the past few weeks. I usually just restart FireFox. I would love them to fix that. It is been so terrible for the past few weeks. Also my right click options are black and unreadable.

Quote me to get a reply!

Maybe Chrome isn't made for people who have 20+ tabs open.

wrong, I have had more then that open at once just for certain types of videos. 

lol I have usually 20 or so tabs open. It uses about maybe over 4gb but that's fine.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Firefox <3

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Opera is the best (in my opinion)

Gaming rig: CPU: I5-2500K GPU: EVGA 660TI 3GB SC+ RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengence 1600MHz SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo Keyboard: Razer Black Widow ultimate Mouse: Logitech MX Master Monitor: 2x Acer 21.5 inch

Laptop Dell 7559: CPU: i7-6700HQ GPU: GTX 960M 4GB RAM: 8GB 1600MHz

FIREFOX FTW No selling data here, just a non profit organization :P:D

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

i use more than 20 and im fine

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

I used to like Chrome but not anymore and that being said,  I went back to my first love Firefox...LOL!!   ;)

Me too, can't use chrome.

But you should try another version of Firefox different from the one that is crashing.

Beta, Nightly, the other one in between that i forgot, Pale Moon, etc.

Signatures are stupid.

I don't use enough tabs for that. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I used them all and from my experince , Firefox seems to handle more tabs better and also uses less resources than opera,chrome etc.

Opera was good but it went to shite in my opinion because its basically now a reskinned chrome.  Since its running webkit.

The only other that are left with their own browser engine are Firefox and Internet Explorer. All the others use webkit.

Firefox is open source and everyone can contribute something to it, its also highly customizable.

Now chrome does have its charms with the deep intergration to google services which is a plus for people that regulary use them.

I for one don't want to rely on 1 Company to give me what i want.

You can see that situation with youtube which shows that google doesn't really care about their consumers.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

Maybe try Waterfox?

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Chrome freezes on Youtube vids, right after the ads. So I copy and paste in Firefox and "BAM!", works right away. The only reason for Chrome is hangouts, and hangouts' links open in Chrome, I hate when a friend sends a YOutube link in Chrome.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

I use Chrome. It was the first browser that popped into my head after IE stopped working properly. I occasionally use firefox, but I find chrome just loads faster. 

Additionally, Firefox doesn't recognize that my Flash is up to date and won't let me play Youtube videos.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

I love firefox  ..... so much more usable then chrome

and i agree group tabs is SO important ... i use it for uni heaps

Its all about those volumetric clouds

chrome seems to use a lot of memory (compared to IE, my only other browser).

I haven't tried Firefox because Chrome isn't too bad (I'll have 10 tabs at the most which is very rare) and I have it customized to my liking (bookmarks, theme, settings).

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Love FireFox. Whenever I get the chance, I use it. It's even my main startup program.