lubricating a k70rgb keyboard

Add2017

Hi all, I have a k70rgb mechanical keyboard and was looking at lubricating the switches, however, as it is impossible to disassemble a k70 without doing serious damage to it - as one of the screws is located behind the Corsair logo - I cannot the normal method. therefore I would like to ask if there is any way to lubricate the switches without removing them?

thanks 

one of the ways I was considering lubricating the switches would be to use a syringe to directly insert lubricant into the switches - would that work and is there any reason why I should not do that

well you can lube them by just letting the lube run down the stems i guess? takeing it apart is a bit destructive which i hate, found that out the hard way so my volume wheel is a bit bent up now :( 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well you can lube them by just letting the lube run down the stems i guess?

No you can't. One of the important lube points is up and under the stem. Also lube shouldn't be runny.

If the plate allows for it you can open the switch without removing it. The plate has to have 4 small gaps, 2 on the left and 2 on the right of each switch, this will allow you to unclip the top of the switch and get inside it. 

26 minutes ago, Add2017 said:

Hi all, I have a k70rgb mechanical keyboard and was looking at lubricating the switches, however, as it is impossible to disassemble a k70 without doing serious damage to it - as one of the screws is located behind the Corsair logo - I cannot the normal method. therefore I would like to ask if there is any way to lubricate the switches without removing them?

thanks 

one of the ways I was considering lubricating the switches would be to use a syringe to directly insert lubricant into the switches - would that work and is there any reason why I should not do that

I’ve taken it apart and it’s for sure doable but you need to be very careful not to damage the logo and plastic cover beside the volume wheel which also has a screw. In general you can press down the switch and apply a small amount of lubricant just don’t overdo it.

As for lubricant you want to use one that is compatible with plastics such as this:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/DuPont-4-oz-Silicone-Lubricant/3550504

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

As for lubricant you want to use one that is compatible with plastics such as this:

http://www.switchtop.com/product/geekhackers-switch-lube Get this, it's meant for keyboard switches. 

http://www.switchtop.com/product/super-lube-stabilizer-lube This one for stabilizers. 

2 hours ago, geo3 said:

http://www.switchtop.com/product/geekhackers-switch-lube Get this, it's meant for keyboard switches. 

http://www.switchtop.com/product/super-lube-stabilizer-lube This one for stabilizers. 

That’s was same thing it’s Teflon loaded silicone lubricant, doesn’t dry out or evaporate. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

That’s was same thing it’s Teflon loaded silicone lubricant, doesn’t dry out or evaporate. 

There are many different consistencies.  The stuff I linked is a mix with the best consistency for switches. 

@Add2017 You should also get a super fine tip paint brush which helps apply the right amount. 

16 hours ago, W-L said:

I’ve taken it apart and it’s for sure doable but you need to be very careful not to damage the logo and plastic cover beside the volume wheel which also has a screw. In general you can press down the switch and apply a small amount of lubricant just don’t overdo it.

Just to check - you’re saying that I can press down the switch without disassembling it and apply a small amount of lube

also where should I put the line in this method

16 hours ago, geo3 said:

can you recommend a lubricant that will work on both switches and stabilizers as I don't really want to buy two different sets of lubricant, also I live in the UK so if you could link a site where I can buy this lubricant in the UK then I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Add2017 said:

can you recommend a lubricant that will work on both switches and stabilizers as I don't really want to buy two different sets of lubricant, also I live in the UK so if you could link a site where I can buy this lubricant in the UK then I would appreciate it.

Thanks

PS would any of these work

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Teflon+Silicone+Lubricant&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ATeflon+Silicone+Lubricant

4 hours ago, Add2017 said:

Just to check - you’re saying that I can press down the switch without disassembling it and apply a small amount of lube

No, you can't do that. You have to open the switch to lube it.

Thanks

I'm not sure, the point of lubing stabilizers is more about reducing rattle than lowering friction. You could try the switch lube on the stabilizer and it may help, and most probably won't hurt anything. Don't do the opposite though, the stuff meant for stabilizers is too thick and will slowdown the switch action.  I'm not in the UK so I don't know what stores ship to you guys. 

If you must buy from amazon look for a lubricant called Krytox GPL-205.

Before you buy anything make sure your keyboards face plate allows for the switch to be opened. Not all do.   If you're not sure how to tell take a couple keycaps off and take a well lit well focused close up of the bare switch. I can probably tell from that. 

I have attached a picture of my key switch - in case it is relevant this is the F12 key switch, could you please also send me a link to somewhere that has a good guide to how to do this, sorry I've j8ust never done anything this advanced and I don't want to ruin my keyboard

Thanks Adam

unnamed (1).jpg

19 minutes ago, Add2017 said:

I have attached a picture of my key switch - in case it is relevant this is the F12 key switch, could you also send me a link to somewhere that has a good guide to how to do this.

Thanks Adam

unnamed (1).jpg

in case it is important it is a cherry MX brown RGB switch

1 hour ago, Add2017 said:

I have attached a picture of my key switch - in case it is relevant this is the F12 key switch, could you please also send me a link to somewhere that has a good guide to how to do this, sorry I've j8ust never done anything this advanced and I don't want to ruin my keyboard

Thanks Adam

It doesn't look like your plate supports switch top removal.  There should be two small gaps on each side of the switch. These allow the tab that hold the 2 halves of the switch together to be spread and released. Without the gaps there is room for them to open. You can see what it looks like on my keyboard below. 

Anyway I'll post a guide anyway in case someone else needs it. https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/i-did-a-guide-of-how-to-open-cherry-switches-t2458.html This is pretty DIY but explains the basic concept pretty well. There  is a convenient tool that makes it easier that looks like this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1363

Now there is always the option of desoldring the switch from the pcb. In that case it can be removed from the keyboard and then fairly easily opened by hand.

IMG_20171223_091756_1.jpg

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

It doesn't look like your plate supports switch top removal.  There should be two small gaps on each side of the switch. These allow the tab that hold the 2 halves of the switch together to be spread and released. Without the gaps there is room for them to open. You can see what it looks like on my keyboard below. 

Anyway I'll post a guide anyway in case someone else needs it. https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/i-did-a-guide-of-how-to-open-cherry-switches-t2458.html This is pretty DIY but explains the basic concept pretty well. There  is a convenient tool that makes it easier that looks like this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1363

Now there is always the option of desoldring the switch from the pcb. In that case it can be removed from the keyboard and then fairly easily opened by hand.

IMG_20171223_091756_1.jpg

with this in mind do you know of any way to put lubricant into the switches without dismantling them

8 hours ago, Add2017 said:

Just add a drop down the bottom side with the notch of the switch it is still not ideal but will help a small amount if you feel your keys are not smooth. 

6 minutes ago, Add2017 said:

with this in mind do you know of any way to put lubricant into the switches without dismantling them

Not really. There are 4 places that need lube, if you press the stem all the way down you'd be half able to get at 2 of them. The other 2 are directly under the  stem, one of which is up inside it.

Here are the 4 lube points marked in red. In the 2 channels in the base of the switch that the notches on the stem ride in, on the left and right sides. On and round the post in the base that the spring sits on. And around the post on the under side of the stem, again where the spring sits.  With the stem pressed in all the way you would be able to expose the top half of the 2 channels.

I'd recommend a super fine tip paint brush to apply the lube. You only want a thin coating, too much will bog down the motion of the switch. Since you can't open them, if you fuck up and put too much I don't see how you'd get the excess out, so be careful. 

IMG_20171223_114408.jpg

IMG_20171223_114240.jpg

4 hours ago, geo3 said:

Here are the 4 lube points marked in red. In the 2 channels in the base of the switch that the notches on the stem ride in, on the left and right sides. On and round the post in the base that the spring sits on. And around the post on the under side of the stem, again where the spring sits.  With the stem pressed in all the way you would be able to expose the top half of the 2 channels.

I'd recommend a super fine tip paint brush to apply the lube. You only want a thin coating, too much will bog down the motion of the switch. Since you can't open them, if you fuck up and put too much I don't see how you'd get the excess out, so be careful. 

IMG_20171223_114408.jpg

IMG_20171223_114240.jpg

thanks I am also considering getting this done by someone else as there is a mechanical keyboard company relatively close to where I live and they may be able to help me with this 

• 4 years later...
On 12/23/2017 at 11:22 PM, Add2017 said:

thanks I am also considering getting this done by someone else as there is a mechanical keyboard company relatively close to where I live and they may be able to help me with this 

Hey buddy, did you ever send your keyboard off to that company? If so, how did it go and who were they? 

Current Specs:

Intel Core i7 6700k

RTX 3060ti

32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz DDR4

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming ATX

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair H55

1TB Seagate SSHD

4TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB Hitachi HDD

256GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2

BeQuiet Silent Base 800