Titan V Will Not Get NVLink OR SLI

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I would also like to know what kind of benefits do people expect to get from making a Volta-based gaming card

Some people are hoping Tensor Coreless Volta will be more efficient than Pascal, and that that will somehow automatically turn into better clocks.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

SLi is dead, just doesn't know it yet. Powerful single card + Gsync/Freesync (when AMD can do it) = Gaming Nirvana.

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

People are actually buying the "Titan isn't for gaming" despite the webpage having "GAMING" dead center?

The Titan V marketing material makes zero mention of gaming, and the product listing only appears under AI and Deep Learning.

The Xp does though.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

so whats the point of the Titan V then?

i mean it's a compute flagship right? it should have all the compute stuffs

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yes, making a useless option available can be misleading, as in making a product seem fit for a purpose it's not good at (or terrible value at). Like selling tanks with baby seat mounts could be misleading.

I don't know what a court has to do with anything.  Things don't need to be lawsuit material to be true. It's as silly as saying "Titan XP, Xp, XpP, XPPPPP a confusing naming scheme? Good luck arguing "confusing" at a court!".

Except it's not useless in this case.

Actually arguing confusing in court happens a lot, as there actually is science to back argumentation based on it.

45 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oookay, why?

Forced upgrades, just as it's pure greed that you can't SLI a 980TI and a 980 despite the fact they're the same architecture, whereas AMD has always allowed this in XFire.

30 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

so whats the point of the Titan V then?

i mean it's a compute flagship right? it should have all the compute stuffs

It does have the double precision and the memory bandwidth.

7 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Except it's not useless in this case.

It's not useless in the tank either. But it's only useful for the people buying the wrong tool for the job.

7 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Actually arguing confusing in court happens a lot, as there actually is science to back argumentation based on it.

You have a problem with sets. Being true is more general than being upheld in court. The fact that something can appear in court discussion does not mean that it only exist in the court context

Things can be misleading, things can be confusing. A small fraction of the times whether they are or not can have legal consequences, and only then it becomes lawsuit material.

9 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's not useless in the tank either. But it's only useful for the people buying the wrong tool for the job.

You have a problem with sets. Being true is more general than being upheld in court. The fact that something can appear in court discussion does not mean that it only exist in the court context

Things can be misleading, things can be confusing. A small fraction of the times whether they are or not can have legal consequences, and only then it becomes lawsuit material.

No, it's definitely useless for the tank. This is a perfectly fine gaming card, for way too high a price.

No, as I'm a pretty solid mathematician, and in my field set theory is kinda the core of my work. It IS true, but the thing about court is there are rules for argumentation, which is why there are objection mechanisms. When you actually debunk arguments in court, you prove fallacies. You actually PROVE that you are correct, you just don't do it quite so formally as a written proof in geometry.

And I'm sorry but it's neither deceptive nor confusing. Either you find it useful or you don't. You can make perfectly informed, reasoned decisions about the product. If you decide to not use your head as a consumer, that's your fault.

30 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

It does have the double precision and the memory bandwidth.

True. But I mean the typical customer who buys compute stuff usually buys more than 1 no? Clustering is a big thing nowadays...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

True. But I mean the typical customer who buys compute stuff usually buys more than 1 no? Clustering is a big thing nowadays...

True, but for workstations...eh... Besides, Quadros are coming for the big kids.

I do not think this is a card for gamers, and I am unsure how many of this is going to get sold anyway. Probably people buying this don't need SLI or nvlink

3 hours ago, Bit_Guardian said:

I sincerely hope AMD's Navi brings them to heel.

I sincerely hope this doesn't become "Wait for Navi" again :S

I see! 

It costs 3,000$ so no one can afford two, therefore they don't waste their money on a second card that's not useful to them. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Ordering 6 with dip and fries.

Guarna: R5 1600, Asrock Taichi, AMD Fury Nitro (Heating space since '15), 16 GB Samsung DDR4 2666 (3000mhz OC) Green PCB ugly stuff.

1 hour ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Forced upgrades, just as it's pure greed that you can't SLI a 980TI and a 980 despite the fact they're the same architecture, whereas AMD has always allowed this in XFire.

SLI and Crossfire are two different technologies. SLI was never designed with that ability in mind. Plus, it's a really shitty solution in CFX. Why would you want to intentionally hamper a stronger card and make it run at the same level as a weaker one? That is such a terrible idea. The only place that ability is even worthwhile is in laptops equipped with both onboard graphics and dedicated GPU. On desktops it's a horrible idea. You sacrifice power and scaling. AMD doesn't even talk about that ability anymore when they bother to discuss CFX, even they've abandoned it as an important feature.

28 minutes ago, Derangel said:

SLI and Crossfire are two different technologies. SLI was never designed with that ability in mind. Plus, it's a really shitty solution in CFX. Why would you want to intentionally hamper a stronger card and make it run at the same level as a weaker one? That is such a terrible idea. The only place that ability is even worthwhile is in laptops equipped with both onboard graphics and dedicated GPU. On desktops it's a horrible idea. You sacrifice power and scaling. AMD doesn't even talk about that ability anymore when they bother to discuss CFX, even they've abandoned it as an important feature.

NVLink, however, was.

And no, SLI is actually superior since it leverages both PCIe and the secondary connector. There is actually higher bandwidth in SLI.

And actually AMD has not abandoned CFX. If you read their white papers on their HPC APU, CFX over IF is in fact a very huge selling point to them.

2 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

NVLink, however, was.

And no, SLI is actually superior since it leverages both PCIe and the secondary connector. There is actually higher bandwidth in SLI.

And actually AMD has not abandoned CFX. If you read their white papers on their HPC APU, CFX over IF is in fact a very huge selling point to them.

I was talking about AMD abandoning making a big selling point out of the ability to CF different models of cards. At least in the desktop market.

16 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Actually SLI bandwidth is rather poor, even more so around the time AMD/ATI decided to drop their dedicated connector in favor of the PCIe bus.

Nvidia has 3 types of SLI bridges:

Standard Bridge (400 MHz Pixel Clock[2] and 1GB/s bandwidth[3])
LED Bridge (540 MHz Pixel Clock[4])
High-Bandwidth Bridge (650 MHz Pixel Clock and 2GB/s Bandwidth[5])

2GB/s isn't exactly a lot, more headroom in the PCIe bus.

4 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

People are actually buying the "Titan isn't for gaming" despite the webpage having "GAMING" dead center?

This specific Titan is not for gaming.  And no "GAMING" is not dead center on its product page.  The word "GAMING" doesn't appear anywhere on its page, in fact.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

7 hours ago, JediFragger said:

SLi is dead, just doesn't know it yet. Powerful single card + Gsync/Freesync (when AMD can do it) = Gaming Nirvana.

Not just that, but SLI and Crossfire are both DX11 technologies. DX12 can utilize different GPUs from even different manufacturers simultaneously. The old way of linking GPUs really needs to die off and make way for the new universal standards.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 hours ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Pretty sure you are wrong here. 

AMD allows the same GPU's to be CF'ed, not the same architecture. 

So you could CF a HD7970 with a HD 7950 but not with a HD7770 (very old example even if it doesn't feel as old) 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Actually SLI bandwidth is rather poor, even more so around the time AMD/ATI decided to drop their dedicated connector in favor of the PCIe bus.

2GB/s isn't exactly a lot, more headroom in the PCIe bus.

Again, it's been proven SLI uses both the bridge and PCIe itself.

1 hour ago, FloRolf said:

Pretty sure you are wrong here. 

AMD allows the same GPU's to be CF'ed, not the same architecture. 

So you could CF a HD7970 with a HD 7950 but not with a HD7770 (very old example even if it doesn't feel as old) 

No, it allows the same architecture. Any GCN1/2/3/4 card can be XFired with any GPU from the same gen. The SKU (die) does not have to be a match.

51 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Again, it's been proven SLI uses both the bridge and PCIe itself.

Yes but the SLI bridge gives very little gain, using it and actually having any benefit is different. All the SLI bridge does is send the final rendered image to the master GPU which is why the resolution and frame rate matters for which bridge you use.

It's been shown that even for the most high end GPUs in SLI and Crossfire that even in x8 link mode the bandwidth is not fully utilized and has no effect on frame rate.

The SLI bridge back in the day made a lot of sense when communication either went through the chipset or you were doing 3+ way SLI on PCIe 1.0 x8 which was only 2GB/s so putting everything through that was a real limitation.

PCIe 3.0 x16 has 15.75GB/s of bandwidth and only a very small amount of that is used for a GPU in gaming, there is no need for a bridge.

So I don't know how using it has any relationship to actually being useful. I think you are mistaking this with legacy, as in it's this way because it was in the past and there has been no trigger to change it since doing so requires development work both on the hardware side and drivers.

Far as the industry goes standardization is a very big focus so it's not going to be long until Nvidia removes the SLI bridge altogether, probably the next gaming GPUs wont have them. This is why AMD is using PCIe for the IF rather than developing their own transport layer, if there is already a high bandwidth low latency transport technology avaliable it makes little sense to develop something new unless your requirements exceed that i.e. NVLink.

As for the Titan V lacking NVLink that doesn't stop people from using two if they wish, there is a performance impact but it doesn't make two in a single system unusable. The better question is why you would want two of these in one systems, you'd be better off buying one and getting everything you can done with that then use the $3,000 you saved on renting time on a cluster.

https://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/dgx-1-fastest-deep-learning-system/

Why are people bitching about the price...? This is *MASSIVELY* cheaper than any of their Tesla cards, and is definitely a budget option for its intended workload... 3000 dollars vs well over 10000 dollars, for nearly the same performance? Sign me up!

If you're a home user and want to waste money, just do so on a Titan Xp. For gaming purposes, you'll be getting the same, or even better, performance than the Titan V counterparts.

@Princess Cadence I can think of a few workflows where NVLink would come in handy with these cards. Not so much for deep learning, but moreso for large scale data processing where you have to load lots of data back and forth between the GPUs.

Honestly, as much as cutting cost by ommiting the extra PCIe/NVLink hardware, I'd say it's probably cut out to avoid canabalizing their data center markets. This thing is really cheap, even compared to a Pascal based Tesla.

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

If you're a home user and want to waste money, just do so on a Titan Xp. For gaming purposes, you'll be getting the same, or even better, performance than the Titan V counterparts.

I'm not sure about this after all it is 5000+ CUDA Cores vs 3840... that is quite the difference... sure though we'll need an AiO because as much as I find the FE cooler gorgeous it will be a limiting factor in overclocking the card to extract all you can from it.

The TITAN V will be faster than all we have right now in the Pascal line up true enough, but anyone getting it over a 1080 Ti is doing terrible money management regardless.

It is true that NVLink could still havei ts usefulness but then again as you said they can't cannibalize entirely their 10000$ Tesla.

If my brother is really as crazy as it seems I might actually be able to toy with one of these in a couple of months, he already put his two TITAN XP for sale #lmao.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)