Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 Specs Announced

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12114/qualcomm-announces-snapdragon-845-soc

Today as part of its media event, Qualcomm finally announced the much expected Snapdragon 845, successor to last year's very successful Snapdragon 835. The Snapdragon 845 is a large step in terms of SoC architectures as it's the first to employ ARM's DynamiQ CPU cluster organization. Quickly explained, DynamIQ enables the various different CPU cores within an SoC to be hosted within the same cluster and cache hierarchy, as opposed to having separate discrete clusters with no shared cache between them (with coherency instead happening over an interconnect such as ARM's CCI). This major transition is probably the largest to date that we've seen in modern mobile smartphone ARM consumer SoCs. 

Qualcomm Snapdragon Flagship SoCs 2017-2018
SoC Snapdragon 845 Snapdragon 835
CPU 4x Kryo 385 Gold (A75 derivative)
@ 2.8GHz 4x256KB L2

4x Kryo 385 Silver (A55 derivative)
@ 1.80GHz 4x128KB L2

2MB L3
4x Kryo 280 Gold (A73 derivative)
@ 2.45GHz 2MB L2

4x Kryo 280 Silver (A53 derivative)
@ 1.90GHz 1MB L2
GPU Adreno 630 Adreno 540 @ 670/710MHz
Memory 4x 16-bit CH @ 1866MHz
LPDDR4x
29.9GB/s

3MB system cache
4x 16-bit CH @ 1866MHz
LPDDR4x
29.9GB/s
ISP/Camera Dual 14-bit Spectra 280 ISP
1x 32MP or 2x 16MP
Dual 14-bit Spectra 180 ISP
1x 32MP or 2x 16MP
Encode/
Decode
2160p60 10-bit H.265
720p480
2160p30 (2160p60 decode),
1080p120 H.264 & H.265
Integrated Modem Snapdragon X20 LTE
(Category 18/13)

DL = 1200Mbps
5x20MHz CA, 256-QAM

UL = 150Mbps
2x20MHz CA, 64-QAM
Snapdragon X16 LTE
(Category 16/13)

DL = 1000Mbps
3x20MHz CA, 256-QAM

UL = 150Mbps
2x20MHz CA, 64-QAM
Mfc. Process 10nm LPP 10nm LPE

The Snapdragon 835's Kryo 280 performance and efficiency cores make use of ARM's Built on ARM Cortex Technology license which allows Qualcomm to make requests to ARM to change some aspects of the architectures of newly released cores and implement these changes exclusively into Snapdragon SoCs. As such the S835's CPU cores were derivatives of ARM's Cortex A73 and Cortex A53 CPU IPs. The Snapdragon 845 being the first SoC to be based on a DynamIQ big.LITTLE CPU organization also undoubtedly suggests that the Kryo 385 CPUs are based on ARM's Cortex A75 and Cortex A55 IPs, as these are the only DynamIQ compatible CPU cores available to date.

5126.a75-790-small-new_performance_level

The L3 located on the DynamIQ DSU is configured at 2MB and we're likely seeing 256KB/128KB options for the performance and efficiency core private L2's. Together this would mean there's a total of 3.5MB of combined L2 and L3 cache on the CPU complex.

Qualcomm interestingly disclosed that we're only seeing three voltage and frequency planes implemented; likely meaning a single plane each for the performance cores as well as the efficiency cores as well as a plane for the L3 and DSU. This is surprising as DynamIQ allows finer grained frequency/voltage planes and given Qualcomm being traditionally a big proponent of asymmetric planes such as implemented in Krait I would have expected to see a more non-traditional approach, something that would have been facilitated given the fact that Qualcomm likes to include on-chip LDO regulators for powering the CPU clusters.

Related to the caches but not part of the CPU, there's also a new inclusion of a 3MB system cache. This is likely a SoC interconnect cache and serves all SoC blocks - likely in similar fashion the "L3" cache on Apple A-series SoCs works. This would help reduce external memory transactions and thus also reduce power to the memory controllers and DRAM.

The Snapdragon 845 comes with a new generation of the Adreno GPU, called the Adreno 630. The switch from a 5xx family to a 6xx family GPU, as with previous introductions from Qualcomm usually marks the transition consisting of larger architectural changes. Qualcomm is as usual very tight-lipped about details of its GPU but it promises a performance increase of 30% while also increasing power-efficiency by 30%. What this translates to is basically we're looking at 30% higher frame-rates while maintaining the same power consumption of the Snapdragon 835, which is an excellent improvement.

The Snapdragon 845 comes manufactured on a second generation 10LPP process from Samsung. This was a natural evolution to be expected as the Snapdragon 835 was manufactured on 10LPE. Samsung promises performance increase of up to 10% at the same power levels or reduced power consumption of up to 15% at the same performance. Samsung had just announced last week the start of mass production for 10LPP. I was rather surprised to see the larger frequency boost to 2.8GHz on the performance cores as the Snapdragon 835 came with rather conservative frequencies of only 2.45. The A75 promised increased performance at the same efficiency, meaning the core uses more power to reach the higher performance point compared to the A73.

The Snapdragon 845 has been announced, and while not a generational leap in performance we're still going to be looking at a pretty good performance jump over the 835. The shift to CPU cores based on the newer A75 and A55 cores should bring a good IPC jump, and the improved 10nm LPP process node (the 835 was on 10nm LPE) also has allowed Qualcomm to raise the clock speed of the CPU. This means we now see the performance cluster of the CPU having a peak clock speed of 2.8 ghz compared to the 2.45 of the 835's Kryo 280 cores (a 14% boost). Interestingly enough, the efficiency cores are now clocked lower.

Overall we should expect a ~30% performance jump. This is pretty decent, though still leaves Qualcomm far behind the A11 Bionic, and even the A10 fusion from last year's iPhone 7 should still be faster.

The GPU is getting updated to an Adreno 630, for which we should expect about a 30% boost in performance. Other parts of the SoC such as the DSP and modem have been updated, as well as improved media capabilities (the 845 can support up to 4k 60fps, like the A11 bionic).

Overall, the 845 looks like it'll be a solid performance boost over the current Snapdragon 835. However, it's not going to be a revolutionary product or anything, so the 835 isn't exactly becoming obsolete anytime soon.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Sad that the A11 Bioinc and A10 fusion are faster like seriously it a year old chip step up your game qualcomm

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Apple won't use their chips for windows machines.  Qcomm will have these in SFF machines everywhere soon.

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Apple won't use their chips for windows machines.  Qcomm will have these in SFF machines everywhere soon.

I mean yea but they sell a ton of ipads with A10x which is basically what Qcomm chips will be good for too browsing machines  it will only start digging into intel's sales I guess

15 minutes ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

I mean yea but they sell a ton of ipads with A10x which is basically what Qcomm chips will be good for too browsing machines  it will only start digging into intel's sales I guess

No, I believe these are the chips that will run x86 apps on full windows machines through an emulator.  These will basically be a competitor to intel's Atom processors and other lightweight CPUs.

2 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Sad that the A11 Bioinc and A10 fusion are faster like seriously it a year old chip step up your game qualcomm

39 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Just look at the cache differences: 835 with 1~2MB L2, 845 with 2MB L2, A11 with 8MB L2.

I'll just leave this here

ywaA4Fe.png

42 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Just look at the cache differences: 835 with 1~2MB L2, 845 with 2MB L2, A11 with 8MB L2.

No I mean that they had a year to beat the fusion and they still cannot which is really depressing.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Is Qualcomm seriously this desperate for attention? Their mobile chips are amazing, but seriously? That graph was made by a 3 year old.

“The performance of the last chip had the same points across the board. But NOW, we see a variation of 1.3x or better!” -Qualcomm

The A11 is better and with fewer cores. Come on.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

They could do that, but that's not a good option, as they increasing it's performance would make the chipset more expensive, then less people would buy it, and in the end they would make less profit, and don't forget that Qualcomm have multiple processor families to work on, while Apple focuses on a single processor per gen.

Yeah. Nearly every manufacturer making a flagship phone is going to use the flagship snapdragon anyways (except for a few, such as Samsung in non us phones and huawei, but they do that pretty much no matter what), and honestly the average end user isn't aware of SoC performance, so if Qualcomm made a bigger CPU that could compete with Apple they would have to increase the price they sell it to smartphone makers which won't necessarily actually help them.

It's unfortunate really that only Apple is willing to make big CPU cores for mobile devices but that's probably how it'll remain for a while.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

32 minutes ago, Brehohn said:

Is Qualcomm seriously this desperate for attention? Their mobile chips are amazing, but seriously? That graph was made by a 3 year old.

“The performance of the last chip had the same points across the board. But NOW, we see a variation of 1.3x or better!” -Qualcomm

The A11 is better and with fewer cores. Come on.

You don't like negative exponential scales? I jest

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Getting more out of the same node, good, what else is there to say.

Seems like a pretty substantial upgrade.

• 25% higher big CPU performance.
  • 15% higher LITTLE CPU performance.
  • 30% higher GPU performance at the same power consumption.
  • 3 times higher DSP performance.
  • New modem.
  • HDR10 video recording.
  • 4K 60 FPS recording.
  • Higher efficiency from the 10LPP process.

I take it that this will be the first arm SOC with a DynamIQ big.Little config? (If not, would like to know) Can't wait to see how it actually behaves in real world scenarios (Some info).

2 hours ago, tjcater said:

I take it that this will be the first arm SOC with a DynamIQ big.Little config? (If not, would like to know) Can't wait to see how it actually behaves in real world scenarios (Some info).

Yes, indeed it is.

You'll see it in the cache structure among other things. Before you'd have the CPU cores in clusters connected through an interconnect (like ARM's CCI although it should be noted Qualcomm makes and uses their own) and that also meant you'd only have two levels of cache which I'm guessing was local to the core and local to the cluster.

The move to DynamIQ eliminates clusters and the interconnect. Instead they'll have coherency through a shared L3 cache. This being the first time (I think) we're seeing L3 cache from Qualcomm. 

It sounds a bit like Ryzen to my untrained ear except it's not of course. No NUMA and no interconnects - just the shared L3 among groups of cores. The goal is the same: more flexibility. Their end-game is different though: one is more cores and the other is asymmetric cores.

Very good performance bump. HDR 4K60fps recording though. Can't wait to see phones with it. I wonder how good new Exynos 9810 will be now. 

Also DynamIQ big.LITTLE design is interesting, this being 4b+4L one. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Very good performance bump. HDR 4K60fps recording though. Can't wait to see phones with it. I wonder how good new Exynos 9810 will be now. 

Also DynamIQ big.LITTLE design is interesting, this being 4b+4L one. 

It also supports 1080p@240fps and 720p@480fps (presumably with HDR).

Another interesting tid bit is that the SoC now supports two hotwords. It'll be interesting whether it's something Google will support. 

I hope Samsung has become more ambitious with Exynos other than just following in the footsteps of ARM/Qualcomm. Probably not though.

3 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

It also supports 1080p@240fps and 720p@480fps (presumably with HDR).

Another interesting tid bit is that the SoC now supports two hotwords. It'll be interesting whether it's something Google will support. 

I hope Samsung has become more ambitious with Exynos other than just following in the footsteps of ARM/Qualcomm. Probably not though.

Need that 1000fps slow mo record feature like Sony haves. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

but... can it run crysis?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

23 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Need that 1000fps slow mo record feature like Sony haves. 

That would require memory attached to the image sensor. It doesn't really relate to the SoC.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

If Crysis were ported to ARM, it should be faster than an 8800 GTS.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

You can remote desktop it from phone, did it awhile back and it's hilarious.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

That would require memory attached to the image sensor. It doesn't really relate to the SoC.

Yeah I know. I actually meant it as would be great that other phones adopt it too. It's pretty neat.