Intel Cascade Lake X

NumLock21

Intel Skylake X successor to their HEDT platform will be Cascade Lake X. Cascade Lake X is said to be supported on the current socket 2066 socket with the Intel X299 chipset. No addition information is given at this time, all we get is a picture of Intel's cpu roadmap for 2018. Along with Cascade Lake X, there is a update to Coffee Lake S, with the introduction of dual cores and additional Intel 300 series chipsets.

Intel-Desktop-Client-Roadmap-HEDT-Mainst

https://wccftech.com/intel-roadmap-leak-cascade-lake-x-hedt-coffee-lake-s-b360-2018/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, VegetableStu said:

I wonder if they'd humuliate current X299 owners and start the HEDT stack with a 28-lane 10-core CPU for about 20% pricier than the 7800K, LOL

People need to not be salty and complain that a push forward is finally being made. I've seen way to many posts since the 8700k released "I regret my 7700k" or "I regret my 6700k" some regretting Ryzen. 
I got my 6700k, damn happy with it and I have no plans on upgrading until AT LEAST I go to Uni.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

4 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

People need to not be salty and complain that a push forward is finally being made. I've seen way to many posts since the 8700k released "I regret my 7700k" or "I regret my 6700k" some regretting Ryzen. 
I got my 6700k, damn happy with it and I have no plans on upgrading until AT LEAST I go to Uni.

My issue isn't being salty because I regret anything. I love my 1700x, and couldn't do what I need on a quad-core Intel. My 6700HQ laptop works for most of it, but not optimally.

My issue with Intel's cyclic releases is it feels like there isn't much differentiation between platforms. The processor lineup is too close together that be products seen looks minimal improvements over a pre-existing chip.

It's as if Intel feels the need to manufacture as much as it can to feel relevant while not appearing to be reengineering much.  Cool, another HEDT processor. Is it going to have proprietary RAID?(/s)

But seriously, will this be part of an upgrade path? Or will it be minimal increased over their current lineup?

Still sitting mmm happy with my 4160  4790.... but I plan to upgrade possibly next year-ish.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Still sitting mmm happy with my 4160  4790.... but I plan to upgrade possibly next year-ish.

Same here, except 2600k. I just really see no reason to upgrade right now. All the games I personally play run perfectly fine   and i7 2600k still performs like a monster lol

6 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Z370>X99>X299

Bold.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

6 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

But seriously, will this be part of an upgrade path? Or will it be minimal increased over their current lineup?

It is about a year away relative to Skylake-X launch, so not far outside expectations. The question will be what extra might it bring. If they can improve on Skylake-X's weaknesses (for me, relatively low L3 cache clocks and bandwidth) that in itself would be enough for many to look at it more closely.

Given we're already pretty covered in core count options, it may be interesting to see if they can squeeze a little more efficiency out of it. Think Skylake-X like Kaby Lake is one optimisation behind Coffee Lake, so there is scope for a minor bump at least.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

My issue isn't being salty because I regret anything. I love my 1700x, and couldn't do what I need on a quad-core Intel. My 6700HQ laptop works for most of it, but not optimally.

My issue with Intel's cyclic releases is it feels like there isn't much differentiation between platforms. The processor lineup is too close together that be products seen looks minimal improvements over a pre-existing chip.

It's as if Intel feels the need to manufacture as much as it can to feel relevant while not appearing to be reengineering much.  Cool, another HEDT processor. Is it going to have proprietary RAID?(/s)

well AMD should have the zen2 HEDT part out in 2019 (probably 1H) which will be a 24c part (rumored) so if Intel goes back to small improvements they are going to not be able to compete.

The slow progression of Intel of generation 3 - 7 has always bothered me.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

well AMD should have the zen2 HEDT part out in 2019 (probably 1H) which will be a 24c part (rumored) so if Intel goes back to small improvements they are going to not be able to compete.

The slow progression of Intel of generation 3 - 7 has always bothered me.

Well according to leaks Zen+ is all set for 12 nm, which should provide a good gain in clock speed and maybe some IPC.  And TSMC's 7nm is all ontrack for Zen 2, so AMD's single thread performance is on track to catch up or improve over Intel's.~
And if further leaks are to be believed, Intel's 10nm process is having a lot of issues, and IPC gains arent expected until the 3rd iteration of 10nm (10nm++)

Take a  lot of salt here, but its bloody interesting..

Ugh! More codenames and lakes! What ever happened to Cannonlake? By the way, there will also be Casade Lake-SP Xeons for the the LGA 3647 socket. 

10 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I was the same with my 4690K - still a great chip for gaming and light usage, but I just needed more cores due to 3DS Max, Unity and Unreal.
When I bought my 4690K, the first series of x99 had just launched, but I didn't regret buying the i5 - it was perfect until recently, where I stepped up to x99 anyway as the prices were cheap af for the deal I got.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

10 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Welcome to the business strategy of profit-maximization in an environment of zero competition (until Ryzen came out).

As a side note, do you think AMD would be any different if they were in the same dominating/monopolistic position for 5(+) years?

Technical issues aside, depends on what the competition (AMD) compels them to do :).

Why not call it Coffee Lake-X for sake of convenience? Either ways these processors are probably ignorable due to the i7 9700k 8c/16t being all a hell lot of people need in the near future.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

19 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

As a side note, do you think AMD would be any different if they were in the same dominating/monopolistic position for 5(+) years?

That's an interesting question. I feel like AMD had done a lot more as far as architectures redesigns, but that might only be because they've been behind Intel. Intel has something that works, and they continue trying to increase efficiency, but I feel like it prevents drastic improvements it redesigns.

Ryzen may not be the end all be all, but the "infinity fabric" concept is really interesting as an architectural design. Very modular, and the model seems to scale pretty well.

Maybe AMD would be complacent if they were on top, and Intel would be doing a lot more redesigns. Improving something is cool. But eventually, the juice won't be worth the squeeze.

I once had someone tell me you learn far less from success than you do from failure. And I think that is very true.

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

But eventually, the juice won't be worth the squeeze.

Which is exactly why Intel has been giving us Haswell-refresh-refresh-refresh (and only recently tacking 2 extra cores onto the die with coffee). If they project that they would be make similar sales regardless of spending $1 billion or $10 billion in R&D, then of course they're only going to spend the lower amount - spending more is no different than burning money.

(And then there's the whole issue about destroying your future market demand by releasing products in their best state at the onset, rather than segmenting them out over time)

1 hour ago, thorhammerz said:

Which is exactly why Intel has been giving us Haswell-refresh-refresh-refresh (and only recently tacking 2 extra cores onto the die with coffee). If they project that they would be make similar sales regardless of spending $1 billion or $10 billion in R&D, then of course they're only going to spend the lower amount - spending more is no different than burning money.

(And then there's the whole issue about destroying your future market demand by releasing products in their best state at the onset, rather than segmenting them out over time)

It might be because I'm not into corporate greed, but I really hate how money gets in the way of making things better for the greater good. Better technology and better global living standards apparently cut into a health bottom line.

22 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

It might be because I'm not into corporate greed, but I really hate how money gets in the way of making things better for the greater good. Better technology and better global living standards apparently cut into a health bottom line.

Call it "greed", "laziness", or whatever seems best to you; at the end of the day it is merely a clash of interests / priorities between we the consumer and they the company:

• We the consumer want what's best for our own interests - that is better products / living standards / technology for lower prices
  • They the (publicly listed) corporation want what is best for their shareholders - that is growing profits (and thus an increase in the value of the company)

The corporation is not your friend, and only sometimes does it have the same interest as you - just as you are out to make your own life better (going to school, starting a business, getting a well-paying job, enjoying vacations, developing hobbies), they are there to make money for their constituent shareholders.

If your interests and their interests happen to align: that's great! If they don't? Take a guess at what will take priority!

16 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

They aren't making CPUs for charity. Profiting well on an advantage doesn't mean they're being Greedy. They could be jerks about things (that's previous HEDT pricing), but it's only with the 1080 Ti is there a GPU that can actually max out the "Core" uArch, and that's under really tight circumstances. Haswell was well ahead of the rest of the CPU systems, so Intel has simply iterated since then. (Though be mindful that 14nm was late & rough and 10nm has been a disaster for Intel, so they've also gone sideways because of Node failures.)

I am content with my 7700. It's got the single core speeds I need for 3D modeling. (Though, if I knew my 750 ti was working, I would've gone for Ryzen. Oh well.) I do plan on building a second PC that would only be used for mass rendering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Why not call it Coffee Lake-X for sake of convenience? 

Haswell-E, Broadwell-E,... Skylake-(such edgy), Kaby Lake-X... Coffe Lake-X Cascade Lake (much courageous).

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Haswell-E, Broadwell-E,... Skylake-(such edgy), Kaby Lake-X... Coffe Lake-X Cascade Lake (much courageous).

Because screw naming logic they say in the high tech marketing teams. My favourite is the Black Titan that's not Titan Black while the Titan Black is Grey.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Intel.

Stfu.

Also, is it going to be X399 so that customers can search up the competitor?

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

16 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Why not call it Coffee Lake-X for sake of convenience? Either ways these processors are probably ignorable due to the i7 9700k 8c/16t being all a hell lot of people need in the near future.

for a lot of people, yes, but for those few people that need those max crunching power its going to have a use.

15 hours ago, thorhammerz said:

Which is exactly why Intel has been giving us Haswell-refresh-refresh-refresh

which is exactly why i wont be upgradeing my I7 4790K before Saphire Rapids probably lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016