Secureboot cracked on Lumia: Windows Phone Internals updated

suicidalfranco

windows-phone-internals-lets-owners-unlo

For those who don't know Windows Phone Internals was/is a tool that allowed Windows Phone/Mobile users to jailbreak their devices. The new updates manages to crack secure boot on the newer Lumia phones, allows to install custom ROM (as an example the device hints at the possibility to bring Windows Core to Lumia if MS goes with that for mobile too, and knowing MS track record you can bet they won't be the one to release it on existing devices, bringing android ROMs may also be a possibility), allows mass storage mode, have a registry editor, and many other hacks of various nature

source: https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-internals-update-paves-way-custom-roms-any-lumia

I used Windows phone Internals on my 920 a couple years back to see if Windows 10 brought anything worthy to the platform (it didn't), it was cool to make MS server believe that I had a 950 and receive all the far ring updates. If someone can make an android ROM for the 920, that would make my day

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

That is pretty neat, no idea wether or not people will develop for those devices.

They have a pretty shit reputation.. 

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Given MS have pretty much given up on Windows mobile as a platform this is probably the last gasp for these phones.

Pitty really, I like my Lumia 950XL. The WP interface is actually really good but it's been totally sunk by the lack of app support - which, understandably now MS have thrown int he towel, is also getting even worse than it was before.

I don't think it's fair to say they've got a shit reputation. There was reluctance to develop for the platform because there weren't enough users to make it financially worthwhile investing the resources compare with Android and iOS. MS's development environment could have been the greatest in the world but that means diddly squat if nobody wants to use it.

@AluminiumTech android 950? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

18 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

@AluminiumTech android 950? 

I don't own a 950 lol. I could try it on my 650 but I think I want it working in case I need to use it for some reason.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

People with passion will definitely create custom ROMs for unlocked phones, maybe this will actually save Windows phones.

Imagine if Microsoft released a Treble-compliant BSP and told developers to go nuts with it. Android would be up and running in short order and would work going forward.

16 hours ago, Sfekke said:

That is pretty neat, no idea wether or not people will develop for those devices.

They have a pretty shit reputation.. 

Not sure what you have read but Nokia has a very strong rep for being very well built devices.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Interesting.  As someone who generally likes to customize things a lot and get manual control over every aspect, I never found myself needing more than the stock experience on WP, for whatever that's worth, so I had not heard of this, but good to know I guess.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Now I just need a pure Android ROM, official W10 stylized launcher, and better USB OTG support...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Now I just need a pure Android ROM, official W10 stylized launcher, and better USB OTG support...

For a higher IQ we need iOS ROMs with an Android launcher.

19 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Not sure what you have read but Nokia has a very strong rep for being very well built devices.

Had actually. I can tell you from experience with the lumia phones that they're poorly build.

I've owned Nokia phones since the 5110, so I know good quality phones, and the lumia ones are really really really poorly build.

Just now, RorzNZ said:

For a higher IQ we need iOS ROMs with an Android launcher.

To die or become competent for the competent.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

To die or become competent for the competent.

We must go deeper

Why did I not know about this before...

I guess I'll be checking this out when it's released. Would be great if I could get the latest WP updates on my Lumia phone.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Even though the Lumia 1520 is old it is still a very nice phone. I would like to be able to dual boot Windows Phone 8.1 and stock Android. 

59 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Had actually. I can tell you from experience with the lumia phones that they're poorly build.

I've owned Nokia phones since the 5110, so I know good quality phones, and the lumia ones are really really really poorly build.

I have had the exact opposite experience.

Been owning them since my 1610. They all still work and the only one that I have broken was the 1610 when I accidentally dropped it 40ft to concrete when building a new home. Lol. I have dropped my 925 and my 950XL on the face many times with no cracks or decrease in performance. Neither does the glass on either have scratches.

That is just my experience though....

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I have had the exact opposite experience.

Been owning them since my 1610. They all still work and the only one that I have broken was the 1610 when I accidentally dropped it 40ft to concrete when building a new home. Lol. I have dropped my 925 and my 950XL on the face many times with no cracks or decrease in performance. Neither does the glass on either have scratches.

Yeah, I have the 950 and mine's been through hell (I work in construction). Dropped multiple times and still living. I really like that the back is removable though. It's nice being able to change the back cover at free will.

I'm cheap so I'll probably stick with the 950 (or bookmark that link to play with the bootloader eventually). I kind of don't like how smartphones kind of cost you $100-200 a year if you do the math. I barely use my phone so I'm putting that money towards more GPUs for rendering. haha.

I really like Windows' Phone UI over Android and IOS. haha. I'm actually still surprised the 950 is still getting updates (even security ones)

I still got a kick at Thanksgiving though, my cousins wanted to install games and apps to play on my brother's phone (android) and so I gave them mine and they could not understand the interface at all (Kept asking me where Apple store and Play store was...)

13 hours ago, scottyseng said:

I really like Windows' Phone UI over Android and IOS. haha. I'm actually still surprised the 950 is still getting updates (even security ones)

WM10 will continue to be supported till EOL at the end of 2019.

I will most likely continue to use it until well past that date, pretty much until my phone dies.

I to prefer the ease of use of the UI of WM over Android and iOS.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Too bad windows mobile sucks hard, I like the designs of the lumia line. Would definitely get one if Android was officially supported or released.on it instead of a crack/jailbreak

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 06/12/2017 at 12:29 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting.  As someone who generally likes to customize things a lot and get manual control over every aspect, I never found myself needing more than the stock experience on WP, for whatever that's worth, so I had not heard of this, but good to know I guess.

It's worth a lot, the user experience on so is fantastic. I have an s8 now and I do miss my 950 :(

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 12/6/2017 at 1:32 PM, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

The 520 was rather bad, case would warp a bit and buttons would no longer align correctly, we had them as company phones. The higher models from that were actually really good, 635 was much better built and designed and from what I saw the 920 was also the same story.

As bad as the 520 were though they were actually very strong, mine got thrown across the room in to walls multiple times and not by me either. Our client manager hated them so every time the call went all fish bowl sounding he would grab them out of our hands and throw them in the hopes they would break and get replaced xD. None actually broke.

22 hours ago, scottyseng said:

I still got a kick at Thanksgiving though, my cousins wanted to install games and apps to play on my brother's phone (android) and so I gave them mine and they could not understand the interface at all (Kept asking me where Apple store and Play store was...)

My bank keeps trying to get me to install the phone app..... it's on Play Store and Apple Store hahahahahaha.

On 12/5/2017 at 7:31 PM, Drak3 said:

I would certainly mess around with this on my 950.  The snapdragon 808 is still snappy, it has enough ram (3 gigs), and I've been completely spoiled by both the screen and camera to the point that I'm not especially impressed by most new phones.

If somebody puts together an Android ROM with a W10M or W8.1 style launcher, app list, and most importantly DARK THEME, I'd rock the hell out of it.

On 12/5/2017 at 7:32 PM, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

My 1020 was an absolute tank, just like any of the polycarbonate Lumia's.  My 950 has also taken a beating, although I like the look and feel of the polycarbonate unibody phones (920/1020/1520/etc).  Cases were not necessary on either one.

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The 520 was rather bad, case would warp a bit and buttons would no longer align correctly, we had them as company phones. The higher models from that were actually really good, 635 was much better built and designed and from what I saw the 920 was also the same story.

As bad as the 520 were though they were actually very strong, mine got thrown across the room in to walls multiple times and not by me either. Our client manager hated them so every time the call went all fish bowl sounding he would grab them out of our hands and throw them in the hopes they would break and get replaced xD. None actually broke.

The 520 was a cheap sub-$75 phone (I saw them go as low as $30 on ATT GoPhone).  It was low spec and cheap, but managed to still feel snappy in general use.  The thing that actually got me to switch away from was the fact that in the Galaxy S4 era there really weren't many sub-$200 android phones that were actually worth using.  I bought my old Lumia 521 (T-Mobile version of the 520) for $60, and liked the low-spec Windows Phone experience enough to buy a used Lumia 1020.

Like I don't know if I can properly articulate just how trash budget android phones were in late 2013 early 2014.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.