Does a hdd HAVE to be screwed in the case?

WolfLoverPro

Basically the hdd I’m getting don’t come with like a mount or screws believe it or not because the reviews said so what do I do ? Will I have to like try and find out the size of the hole or can I just maybe it in the bay without screwing ?

2 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

Basically the hdd I’m getting don’t come with like a mount or screws believe it or not because the reviews said so what do I do ? Will I have to like try and find out the size of the hole or can I just maybe it in the bay without screwing ?

Because if has moving parts a HDD should either be screwed or clamped to the quick release HDD holder if your case comes with one or screwed to whatever HDD holder/mount the case has built-in.  If the HDD spins at fast speeds during read/write operations the vibrations can cause it to move around if it's not held down.  The screws necessary for holding down a HDD may come with the case or just ask the computer store to give you some, which they may give you for free or charge you very little.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Yes, you should screen in your mechanical hard drive. They vibrate, which can cause loud noises in your case. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

14 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

yes you need to screw it down, it spins fast, when not screwed down you risk itspinning and moving and writing a piece of data in the wrong place and  bricking the hdd

22 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

Basically the hdd I’m getting don’t come with like a mount or screws believe it or not because the reviews said so

They (almost) never come with a mount or screws. Those should be included with your case (unless it's a prebuilt)

10 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Yes, you should screen in your mechanical hard drive. They vibrate, which can cause loud noises in your case. 

stupid i know but so i have to buy these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-HDD-SCREWS-Pack-of-8-Hard-Disk-Drive-Screws-for-3-5-driv/361187862248?hash=item54187966e8:g:V34AAOSwmtJXVGUx

they will be ok for the hdd im gonan get and will fit in my case?

7 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

What case do you have? My case doesn't need screws to mount standard sizes HDD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DESKTOP-COMPUTER-Galaxy-Bubble-Windows/dp/B005IDO352

idk if its the same its the same but mine has green lights its called a galaxy gaming pc case google that idk if there different sizes

My case came with those flimsy plastic drive drawers that you have to just clip in the HDD/SSD and then plug in in the back. Since it rattled and vibrated the whole case i just put it on the bottom on a ~3cm thick wavy foam. Now it's quiet, but i'm about 95% sure it's not healthy for it, potentially shortening its lifespan.

Still, it's quiet. (7200 rpm HDD)

There should be a mounting bracket in the case and the screws I believe come with the case majority of the time in that little baggy.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Just put it on a bit of sponge. It'll be grand.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

if you do decide to try to attach a hard drive to your case in some way other than a specific designated bay for it, it's important to note that it should either be completely vertical or completely horizontal in the best interests of the drive's health, here is a link from our Knowledge Base on the matter.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

19 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

if you do decide to try to attach a hard drive to your case in some way other than a specific designated bay for it, it's important to note that it should either be completely vertical or completely horizontal in the best interests of the drive's health, here is a link from our Knowledge Base on the matter.

Not to infringe on someone else's post, but I know you are probably knowledgeable on this stuff. Is there any impact on a drive to run it completely vertical? I've always tried not to and to keep them horizontal, but I wasn't certain. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

17 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Not to infringe on someone else's post, but I know you are probably knowledgeable on this stuff. Is there any impact on a drive to run it completely vertical? I've always tried not to and to keep them horizontal, but I wasn't certain. 

It can be run completely horizontal or completely vertical. Never have a hard drive powered on when moving it, but either of those ways is fine, just never on any kind of partial angle or slant.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming