What we tell our kids and grandkids?

brjedi

Hm... gonna take a more pessimistic view and imagine that, instead of an increase in quality of life in the future, quality of life has decreased dramatically. If thats the case i’d imagine saying “back in my day we had access to the internet!”

Oh wow, what I tell my kids...

1) network what was a network? When I started on computers it was punch-cards and teletype all the way.

2) My first PC was a pre-Intel CPU Zilog Z80 with a 9" green-screen 64k of memory and a 128k 5 1/4" floppy drive for "mass" storage. And it was a high end beast of a machine at the time.

3) My first real programming job was on a Cray supercomputer that had less CPU, memory and storage than the first smart-phone I ever had, and that supercomputer ran simulations for the safety and crash suitability  of automotive components - it was not large enough to run entire automobiles we had to run parts of the auto at a time and put the resulting files all together to evaluate the end results.

4) My first "broadband" was 56.4kbs, because that was "fast" at the time - we ran our entire house all three computers off of this connection and it was a huge step up from the 9600kbs dial-up we had before. Which in turn was a huge step up from the 1200baud I had before that.

I can keep going, but my kids get tired of it about here and run away...

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

The world didn't used to be such a shit hole.

This one applies to every generation always thinking theirs was better seems to just always be the case 

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

The world didn't used to be such a shit hole.

actually it was far worse than it is right now and it will probably not get down to that level again.

10 hours ago, brjedi said:
  • We had to GET UP FROM THE COUCH to change the channel on the TV!
  • We about went DEAF whenever we were trying to use the internet! [  Dial Up Internet Sound ]

Uhh... TV remotes were ubiquitous since the early-mid 1980s where as dialup internet wasn't ubiquitous until the mid 1990s'.  There's no way that as a kid, you had to endure the sound of a dial up handshake but also get off the couch to change the TV unless you were just too lazy to find the missing remote...  Or you had a TV that was 20 years old even then.

To cite someone from the Interwebs: 

later show your grandkids the movie 2012 and tell them "we all survived that! Hard times but we muddled through!" 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

lets bring everybody down:

"when i was your age..."

"...we had privacy.the whole world didnt know where we were doing what with whom at all times."

"...we had alot mor animals. like the where these things called rhinos. and then pandas and ..."

"...you could get as much water as you wanted. there were no rations. we just opened the tap and..."

"...food wasnt processed. meat was from real animals and not printed out of syntethics"

"...the air was breathable without taking all these pills every day."

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

28 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

lets bring everybody down:

"when i was your age..."

"...we had privacy.the whole world didnt know where we were doing what with whom at all times."

"...we had alot mor animals. like the where these things called rhinos. and then pandas and ..."

"...you could get as much water as you wanted. there were no rations. we just opened the tap and..."

"...food wasnt processed. meat was from real animals and not printed out of syntethics"

"...the air was breathable without taking all these pills every day."

1) Unless you lived in a small town then it was just exactly like it is now for everyone everywhere, really truly you haven't seen lack of privacy until you buy condoms and by the time you walk to your car (three blocks away) you have your Grandmother pulling up asking why you need them, and two of her friends cornering your last two girl friends asking questions about your love life. NSA has not nothing on the old people in small town USA in the 1970's, really they could take some lessons. 

2) Yea, sorry we used to have this thing called Lake Erie it caught fire every summer. Oh and fish die-offs we had them, we had years in the late 1960's when we couldn't walk the beaches of the Great Lakes because there were dead fish 6+ inches deep washed up. The die offs are not new, they have been happening for the last 5000 years, be glad we are aware of them and trying to do something about it. When I was growing up the word way, "so what it will get better, it always has".

3) Okay this could be a problem in the future, but only if we let it...things are believe it or not better now than 50 years ago on this front.

4) I am not sure this is a positive...

5) Hahshshshahahah, This depends on where you are in the world, where I am the air has gotten better not worse since I was young. A lot better, this could change, but people are actually paying attention to some of this in some parts of the world. There was zero and I mean zero awareness from anyone in the early 1960's that it was bad to have "smog" it just was.

6 minutes ago, AncientNerd said:

1) well maybe i did grow up in a small town but i still get depressed when i see how every is so self important they post pics of their food and shits and everything they do all day and bravely call it connecting. the thing is that this grow 2 kinds of people the ones that share and are not interested in others lifes just want to broadcast their own self important ass and the onnes that become still they dont do anything anymore because they are way to busy watching what other people do.

2) well maybe i just think its sad that imgonna have to tell stories about it as if they were unicorns.

3) well its not gonna "get better" forever if we keep multiplying like this its gonna get crowded fast so in 50 years who knows ...hhrrrrrmm...soylent green

4) well wether or not the synthetic stuff might be "better" or not it still would be sad to see everything be the same paste with different flavoring. its almost like that today already. id rather eat dry old but "real" bread as plain as it is than a "cheeseburger" from mcdonalds or burgerking that doesnt contain cheese and will literally survive me in better condition than the paper packaging they put it in

5) well i was actually trying to ramp up the scale and hint at a nuclear scenario with that one :D

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Mainly for the US: "We used to have three pedals in our cars."

"The left hand determines the hour while the long hand determines the minutes."

"I had to wait a week to watch the next episode. Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel."

The obvious one: "MTV played music."

"We had to go to a place called the library to look up something."

"I had to print every report to turn it in."

"Like today, people still think the world is flat."

Bonus:

8 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

This one applies to every generation always thinking theirs was better seems to just always be the case 

What if things really are just getting constantly worse though? :P

12 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

My dad likes to bring this one up when the topic of technology progress over human generations comes up.

"Grandpa?  What's a 'gigabyte'?" (Or, megabyte, terabyte or petabyte, or -hertz.)

By the time my grandkids would be asking me that, I expect even level 1 CPU cache would be measured in zettabytes, and petahertz would be a common specification for CPUs, GPUs, RAM, etc. (Or giga/teracores for CPUs maybe.) :PxD

(I have no children & no gf yet, there's still time for that kind of progress.)

Hm, I think that might be a bit of a stretch :P I mean even L3 cache is only in the low double digits of MB and speed in the mid single digits of GHz currently... even if we assume a general doubling of everything every 18 months (which is in no way close to realistic), it's gonna be about 75 years before we rate CPU cache in zettabytes and about 30 before we're rating CPUs in PHz

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It’s the most challenging job, one that requires a minimum of 18 years hard labor. “Parenting is front-loaded work, “ says Michele Borba, Ed.D., parenting expert and author of The Big Book of Parenting Solutions,“because if parents do their job diligently the first 18 years, chances are they can enjoy the fruits of their labor thereafter.” If they don’t , their children—and they—will pay a heavy, sometimes heartbreaking, price.

12 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, I think that might be a bit of a stretch :P I mean even L3 cache is only in the low double digits of MB and speed in the mid single digits of GHz currently... even if we assume a general doubling of everything every 18 months (which is in no way close to realistic), it's gonna be about 75 years before we rate CPU cache in zettabytes and about 30 before we're rating CPUs in PHz

A lot of these posters are 40-50 years away from being grandparents

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

14 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

People just dont inherently like change and that is the problem. Society has not constantly gotten worse over the last 100 years. I get your comment was sarcastic though lol

We had physical games in cases and some were even cartridges that we blew in if they didn't turn on.

I didn't have to pay $5 to shitpost on an intel circle jerk forum (thanks, Ajit Pai!)

idk man I just 14 I probably be like yeah I drove for like 8 years then got a Tesla then never drove again

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

I need to tell my niece and nephew about the command prompt. Because my first computer had Windows 3.11 and DOS. I used to have to use the command prompt all the time to play games. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 11/27/2017 at 11:19 PM, PETRGangKing said:

Really lol? My first was a single core Pentium.

yeah, well, my first was a half core banana processor

Image result for take that meme 

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

6 hours ago, PETRGangKing said:

A lot of these posters are 40-50 years away from being grandparents

Yeah, and that's not enough :P Like I said, it'll be ~70 to get zettabytes of cache even at a rate of 2x / 18 months, which is definitely not a rate we're even close to :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 11/27/2017 at 7:54 PM, ScrappyZeDog said:

My first cpu was only 4 cores

My first CPU was 1 core

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

26 minutes ago, JDE said:

My first CPU was 1 core

Yeah... mine was too. Just joking

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D