Do you let Steam run in the background?

Curious to see if people let  their game clients like Steam run in the background of Windows. I personally don't because I'm ocd about anything not essential running in the background.  :D

I like to know what my friends are doing

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

sometimes. 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Yes.. since i don't trust it to start every time..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Yes, it's pretty much the only way I talk to friends over the internet (TeamSpeak second), and I use it a lot for TF2 Outpost.

Spoiler

Nope. Nope, nope nope.

I have limited bandwidth. Can't afford steam to update every now and then.

If people write to me, it pisses me off. Let me do my own things dammit!

Plus I don't have instant connection at startup, I have to manually enable it every time.

I let steam run, when I intend to play some of my steam games.

"Never trust anyone and rely on your instincts" - If you know who said it, you're awesome

On desktop yes, on laptop no. I don't game that much on my laptop though. 

No reason why not

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I have quad cores and 16 gigs of ram, I let steam run in the background along with origin, skype and itunes 24/7 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

It's my primary chat client, plus I like to check the Store out  and see what GabeN is discounting.

It boots up with my PC, and it just sits in the background, I even forget it's there sometimes. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

hell ya i do it takes very little resources and i hate skype so thats mainly how i chat and i wanna know when the epic sales are

Aselwyn1

You should have made this thread a poll, and yeah I let it run, most of the time I even leave it minimized on my desktop.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

I have it open all the time because it really isn't a resource hog sitting in the background

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

If I finished playing a game on steam I usually just leave in the background cause I have enough ram to keep applications open in the background. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I do. I prefer Steam to steal my data than NSA. Even set Steam client to download BETA version soo i can test newer versions. All Hail the Lord GabeN...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

On only when I forget, don't want it stealing my bandwidth with updates when I'm not playing.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

3d Rendering all day... :| cant waste a single ghz on Steam when im working

Character artist in the Games industry.

Yup. I've usually got a tonne of things open though

Example :

qpu2F9v.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.