ryzen 5 1600 gets way too hot, I've tried everything

Hello I have a serious temp issue with my ryzen 5 1600 processor. It's currently overclocked to 3.7 1.272v using the stock cooler. The issue is that it gets too warm under load. The idle temps however are around 32-38c but after only 6 minutes of realbench's stress test it reaches 91c. I've tried reinstalling it with new thermal paste without succes. I've now reached a point were I don't know what to do anymore. Any help is highly appreciated, thanks! :)

Just leave it at stock speeds.  Or... overclock it right until the point it won't be stable under no extra voltage. There is a lot of tricks to overclocking on motherboards that can actually raise temps. Just google your motherboard/overclocking guide to that chip and try it out or get a bigger cooler.

4 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

Just leave it at stock speeds.  Or... overclock it right until the point it won't be stable under no extra voltage. There is a lot of tricks to overclocking on motherboards that can actually raise temps. Just google your motherboard/overclocking guide to that chip and try it out or get a bigger cooler.

hello thanks for the reply, yeah maybe I should just lower the clock and v. But at the same time the stock fan should be able to handle 1.27v, something must be wrong but I've no clue really. I can add that I dont have the best fan setup tho. I'm using the fractal design r4 with the 2 included fans. 

you are using the stock cooler thats the issue  

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3.6-3.7 is generally accepted to be the limit with the stock cooler, maybe 3.8 with a lottery winner, but with those temps drop it to 3.6. You can test if case airflow is a hindrance by removing the side panel and seeing if temperatures drop, but don't expect any miracles. But really if you want to overclock more then get a better cooler

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

On 11/25/2017 at 5:43 PM, GDRRiley said:

you are using the stock cooler thats the issue  

I've heard alot of good things about the stock cooler. almost  everyone can oc to 3.7 with max temps of 67-80 under load. And I'm getting 91c after 6 minutes : (. Alot of these people stress test for 30min- 1 hour and still reach lower temps:P

On 11/25/2017 at 5:43 PM, Cyracus said:

3.6-3.7 is generally accepted to be the limit with the stock cooler, maybe 3.8 with a lottery winner, but with those temps drop it to 3.6. You can test if case airflow is a hindrance by removing the side panel and seeing if temperatures drop, but don't expect any miracles. But really if you want to overclock more then get a better cooler

hello thanks for the input. I have no interest in overclocking further, I just think that I should be able to reach acceptable temperatures with such a low vcore. Atleast when I compare it to other people, something must be wrong.

9 hours ago, Fisring said:

I've heard alot of good things about the stock cooler. almost  everyone can oc to 3.7 with max temps of 67-80 under load. And I'm getting 91c after 6 minutes : (. Alot of these people stress test for 30min- 1 hour and still reach lower temps:P

Hey there,

I have a 1600 OC'd to 3.9Ghz @ 1.376v and to achieve this I needed to buy a better cooler I got the Cryorig H5 Ultimate and my temps are sub 30 @ idle and sub 70 under load.   

I did however have a go at overclocking on the stock cooler and what I found was I could find some stability at 3.7Ghz but I my voltage was around the 1.3-1.325v mark and to keep this stable I had to keep the fan cranked up on a very aggressive fan curve nearly maxed out... 

like said above unless you get some miracle chip you probably wont be so lucky. You have to remember alot (but not all I know) of the reviews on youtube etc are done with chips sent to them from AMD so there could be some reviews that may mislead you it got me excited but I soon faced the facts haha.

So to summarize if your trying to get stable on 3.7Ghz crank that fan speed up, crank your case fans up (make sure that they are actually orientated correctly), clean up any internal obstructions that could block airflow, and maybe give your cpu a bit more voltage it may not be as stable as you think..

Good luck op

17 hours ago, Fisring said:

Every chip is different. While average might be that what you've seen on others, you might just have one below average. Or worse. I know my 4770K is at bottom half of that average. It can go to 4.3 or 4.4 if I have patience to tweak everything for it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, Fisring said:

And I'm getting 91c after 6 minutes

That seems fast, is your fan/heatsink mounted tight enough or did you not apply (Or reapply if you removed the heatsink before) the thermal compound?

6 hours ago, tjcater said:

That seems fast, is your fan/heatsink mounted tight enough or did you not apply (Or reapply if you removed the heatsink before) the thermal compound?

Hello, I've tried to reinstall the cooler several times with new thermal paste without luck. : (

On 11/25/2017 at 6:47 PM, Fisring said:

I'd like to meet this "everyone" you speak of.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.