PLatinum vs titanium

pomkon

Platinum metal is much rarer and more expensive. But why titanium psu is rated higher than platinum?

what is higher than titanium?

Do commercial servers use tit psu? How are servers psu rated?

What efficiency does most household power adapters have? They are switch on more than PC, and consumer more electricity. Why are there no ratings on them?

It's all marketing.

Regardless of the physical characteristics of the metals used (bronze, silver, gold, platinum and titanium) this is how it sorta goes.

Bronze is considered as the first somewhat strong and usable metal.

Silver is basically the rich persons bronze.

Gold is the pinnacle of luxury.

Platinum is the technological advanced version of gold.

And finally titanium is thought of as the strongest metal on the planet and therefor what you want if you want the best.

-アパゾ

Because they had gold silver bronze then they had to add something else. I guess when they had to add another step on top of that they wanted something familiar and distinct enough. A bit silly but kind of understandable. 

I know that some server PSUs are rated using the same system. 

Wall adaptors don't have much of a rating system, but they're also generally a much smaller operating range as well as a much lower wattage generally so the PSU rating system isn't as significant with them

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

~snip~

It's just the public perception. Titanium isn't the strongest metal. For natural metals at least, Tungsten is.

Can't remember it's name but a magnesium based alloy is what currently has the top spot.

-アパゾ

18 minutes ago, andrewmp6 said:

i will post something semi relevant as well 

3 hours ago, kerradeph said:

Because they had gold silver bronze then they had to add something else. I guess when they had to add another step on top of that they wanted something familiar and distinct enough. A bit silly but kind of understandable. 

I know that some server PSUs are rated using the same system. 

Wall adaptors don't have much of a rating system, but they're also generally a much smaller operating range as well as a much lower wattage generally so the PSU rating system isn't as significant with them

household items consume more electricity on the whole

9 hours ago, pomkon said:

i will post something semi relevant as well 

None of these are relevant to OP's question lmao

13 hours ago, pomkon said:

Platinum metal is much rarer and more expensive. But why titanium psu is rated higher than platinum?

What efficiency does most household power adapters have? They are switch on more than PC, and consumer more electricity. Why are there no ratings on them?

Titanium is a very strong metal and thus probably why it's the highest unit rating Ecova uses. 

You could always email their support though and ask for the memes.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

14 hours ago, pomkon said:

"Ti" is short for Titanium.  Not "tit".

And you could always go to "80plus.org" and read and find answers to your questions, including all of the PSUs rated at the different levels, how they measure and that some of the PSUs are in fact server PSUs.

14 hours ago, pomkon said:

Power bricks are such low wattage (typically under 90W, though gaming laptops use 120~240W) that they only follow Energy Star requirements.  

The video did explain why Platinum is before Titanium, it so happens that originally 80 Plus Platinum was already the highest it could go however as the efficiency kept getting even better they were forced to come up with something new.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

• 8 months later...

I read all this talk about the certificates, but what is the physical difference between gold, platinum & titanium PSU?

Why is a gold PSU gold, why is a platinum PSU platinum?

2 hours ago, archerbob said:

If a power supply is at least 87% efficient at 20% load, 90% efficient at half load, and 87% efficient at full load, it's 80+ Gold.

If it's 90-92-89% at those loads, it's 80+ Platinum.

Requirements for each efficiency level are here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

It's just a marketing name for a certain level of power efficiency.

3 hours ago, archerbob said:

I read all this talk about the certificates, but what is the physical difference between gold, platinum & titanium PSU?

image.png.283e6fb90b78d54a16eb1db8f96aa0b5.png

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 19.11.2017 at 9:01 AM, pomkon said:

Because they started with Bronze, went to silver and gone for gold.

And then they introduced Platinum after a while and ran out of precious metal that the "Otto-Normalo" knows that are valuable. 

So they went for Titanium

Nothing, because it is pretty much impossible to go higher than Titanium with normal tri voltage ATX (3,3V, 5V and +12V).

With a Single Voltage unit it might be possible but we are already talking about really low losses.

Remember a couple of years ago we were talking about 60-72% efficient PSU. Now we don't even look at the 82/85/82% ones much let alone just 80% efficient ones...

Do commercial servers use ti psu? How are servers psu rated?

Yes and its easier for those to archieve that because many Server PSU are single voltage. Some even have a 12V Standby Rail

server PSU are rated as "230VAC Redundant" or Industrial.

Because they are low wattage and they aren't as heavily regulated as higher wattage PSU.

For example, those small ones don't even need PFC, a 90W Laptop brick does. A 65W though does not.

As for efficiency: No idea, maybe 70% or so?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Jesus F'ing Christ.... 

On 11/19/2017 at 12:01 AM, pomkon said:

Assuming the company that made the external adapter were good people and got it through industry standard testing, then it depends on the amount of power it's outputting and what efficiency level it was certified for. You can read more about it at https://www.cui.com/catalog/resource/efficiency-standards-for-external-power-supplies.pdf. In any case, the marking you're looking for is a circle with a roman numeral in it.

The thing is 80PLUS applies only to computer power supplies not including laptop chargers, as they would be an external power supply.

I would like an Uranium PSU that has over 100% efficiency.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

On 11/19/2017 at 3:24 AM, APasz said:

It's just the public perception. Titanium isn't the strongest metal. For natural metals at least, Tungsten is.

Can't remember it's name but a magnesium based alloy is what currently has the top spot.

Depends on what you mean by "strongest" too.

Single crystal superalloys are pretty strong. 

2 hours ago, Tam3n said:

I would like an Uranium PSU that has over 100% efficiency.

What should we call the real bad ones, uranus? :D