Done with EVGA power supplies

I've built a lot of systems... the last several builds I've been using EVGA supernova 80+ platinum power supplies... well... I have had THREE fail.  When I used to buy the cheapest for necessary wattage, I never had any fail, even the cheap corsair ones.

I've had 2 1000 watts fail, and most recently an 850watt, but this ones a little more interesting.

I'm watching youtube of all things, I know so stressful right, and my PC just shuts off (BTW was 66 degree in the room, quite chilly, I have super fine filters on ALL intakes, corsair air 740 case so the power supply has its own damn room, AND I have 7 case fans....).  Go to turn it on and only runs for a few seconds, eventually I got it to run, brought my video back up only for it to turn off 5 minutes later.  So I do some googling and find out back in 2013 EVGA admitted to screwing up thermal pads (reminds me of gpu issue recently), and this was causing them to shut themselves off basicly due to overheating.  Well, I found 100s of people even lots in 2016 still having the same issue, I would have opened it myself and tried to get things running cooler, but I don't want to void the warranty, so I took my air blaster (what I call it), put it to the back of the psu, and whala, it works.  Typing this right now on the same system although I can't hear anything due to the sound of a jet engine.  Yes, I tried booting without massive airflow after the successful run, and it shut down after about 10 seconds.

Might glue a damn noctua IPPC fan on the back of it as exhaust....

What I'm using to get the airflow: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S7CH6FK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Surge protectors I use: https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protector-INSURANCE-SUPER7B/dp/B00AAHT8AQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1510886324&sr=8-6&keywords=tripp+lite+surge+protector&dpID=312BuLFAcfL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Edit: Anyone have a recommendation on PSU with PROVEN reliability?  Tier 1 is cool and all but these EVGA p2's are tier one and yeah... screw em...

Update for the people tripping over themselves seeing EVGA cast in a negative light and don't want to read the thread:

To kind of wrap this up, I don't hate EVGA or anything, and their PSUs should be very high quality, they even feel solid, have great warranties, quality components etc.

However, until a few years ago I focused on building budget systems, so obviously high end PSU was out of the question.  And not a single one failed, I mostly bought corsair CX600 which are what tier 4?

Fast forward to high end systems, did some research, went with EVGA, took pride in using them.  But one broke, whatever it happens.  Another broke, hmmm.....  And now another one, I'm done lol... for now

3 strikes your out right?

I'm sure I'll revisit them one day, but when I had a flawless track record with cheap PSUs I mean... what else can I think...

With that being said I'm still going to use tier 1, just another brand.  If 3 years goes by and no issues, I'll stick with them, if it is the same deal all over again then back to the drawing board.

Maybe luck, maybe an oversight, maybe 1% of 100 different factors that added up to something failing in a silly way, who knows.

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

Just now, WereCat said:

You know that EVGA does not make PSUs?

And having multiple high quality PSU fails is either the dumbest luck it the world or your problem lies somewhere entirely else.

I don't believe in constantly bad luck, especially considering the 100s of similar posts from others.  Systems all were rock solid before this....  EVGA outsources, either way, it's still branded EVGA.

My problem lies somewhere else, yet massive airflow right up it's ass fixes the problem?

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

Just now, nicefox1 said:

EVGA does not have a factory where they do the soldering and component selection. That's done by their OEMs. 

If multiple high-end PSUs are dying then chances are you need a surge protector or you need to source the root of the problem. Those PSUs are built like trucks by Super Flower.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, nicefox1 said:

EVGA takes outside designs and rebrands them. Most of their psus are made by super flower.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, nicefox1 said:

They sell PSU's, but they don't make them. Same as how most PSU's are made by Seasonic, Super Flower, or Delta. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, SubLimation7 said:

My problem lies somewhere else, yet massive airflow right up it's ass fixes the problem?

Maybe airflow isn't the problem. Sounds electrical to me.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

2 minutes ago, ars3n1k said:

If it's a known issue and you don't want to void your warranty...why not use your warranty to get it fixed?

You still lose a nice chunk of change shipping it back, and I do plan on doing so, but it's incredibly annoying.  

I'm still kinda tempted to pop it open and replace thermal pads, if so I'll find a video first and make sure it's somewhat realistic.

I would check your mains or the wiring for the outlet since killing three is very unlikely to occur unless the power supply is having to work harder to produce the necessary wattage. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, ARikozuM said:

I would check your mains or the wiring for the outlet since killing three is very unlikely to occur unless the power supply is having to work harder to produce the necessary wattage. 

One was at a friends, the last was at an apartment, this one at a different house, already tried different outlets and surge protectors, currently have multiple other PCs all working fine.  Oh and they all broke all in different builds, this one 6800k, last 3570k, 1st 8350, over the course of about 3 years.

I have lots of PCs....

Have a ryzen 7 build right next to me at girlfriends desk with same exact PSU doing fine... 

Also, the 3 breaking is over the course of 3-4 years.  I've bought about 11 that haven't broken but I mean 11/14 is pretty bad...

Just now, SubLimation7 said:

One was at a friends, the last was at an apartment, this one at a different house, already tried different outlets and surge protectors, have multiple PCs all working fine.

Is anything being shorted? All standoffs in place? No bare wiring? Rats in the PSU? 

This is odd. What PSU is this?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Is anything being shorted? All standoffs in place? No bare wiring? Rats in the PSU? 

This is odd. What PSU is this?

EVGA Supernova P2, the particular one is an 850w, the last 2 were 1000w and ~700w

keep in mind, this isn't consecutively, the last 14 or so builds I've done have all been EVGA

But I never have PSU or any hardware failures, so it makes these EVGAS look pretty bad.

Just now, SubLimation7 said:

EVGA Supernova P2, the particular one is an 850w, the last 2 were 1000w and ~700w

keep in mind, this isn't consecutively, the last 14 or so builds I've done have all been EVGA

But I never have PSU or any hardware failures, so it makes these EVGAS look pretty bad.

You're either starving the PSUs for airflow or something is wrong with your power sources. That much "bad luck" is crazy.

4 minutes ago, SubLimation7 said:

One was at a friends, the last was at an apartment, this one at a different house, already tried different outlets and surge protectors, have multiple PCs all working fine.  Oh and all in different builds, this one 6800k, last 3570k, 1st 8350

I have lots of PCs....

Have a ryzen 7 build right next to me at girlfriends desk with same exact PSU doing fine... 

Also, the 3 breaking is over the course of 3-4 years.  I've bought about 11 that haven't broken but I mean 11/14 is pretty bad...

At this point I don't really believe you. Either your power delivery where you live is utter garbage or you're misusing your PSUs. Super Flower is among the best OEMs and unless you just happened to get a bunch of units used then there's no reason why this many should be dying.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

EVGA sells PSUs under their brand but SuperFlower makes PSUs for EVGA.

SuperFlower is as reputable PSU brand as Seasonic (maybe not in the USA though).

11 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

EVGA does not have a factory where they do the soldering and component selection. That's done by their OEMs. 

If multiple high-end PSUs are dying then chances are you need a surge protector or you need to source the root of the problem. Those PSUs are built like trucks by Super Flower.

11 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

EVGA takes outside designs and rebrands them. Most of their psus are made by super flower.

cool, thanks

weird brand name tho

Superflower

11 hours ago, WereCat said:

I'm not sure, hard to tell from the pictures, I'm not an expert on PSU internals.  I got it from here mostly: https://forums.evga.com/Why-are-the-SuperNova-1050G-power-supplies-failing-after-a-few-months-of-use-m2520407.aspx

"EVGA has discovered that a small batch of our 1300W & 1000W Power Supplies (P/N: 120-G2-1300-XR, 220-P2-1000-XR, 120-G2-1000-XR) did not meet the quality levels that EVGA stands behind. There is insufficient insulation on the thermal pad by a heatsink which may cause the Power Supply to shut down or be unable to power on. If you have one of these part numbers, please fill in your serial number below on this page to see if your power supply is affected. NOTE: This symptom should not occur on ANY Power Supply that was purchased on October 1st, 2013 or later
http://www.evga.com/articles/00803/"

11 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

You're either starving the PSUs for airflow or something is wrong with your power sources. That much "bad luck" is crazy.

At this point I don't really believe you. Either your power delivery where you live is utter garbage or you're misusing your PSUs. Super Flower is among the best OEMs and unless you just happened to get a bunch of units used then there's no reason why this many should be dying.

I don't really care, but I'll give you a pic.  You did read the 11/14 part and that I have a ryzen build with same psu right next to me doing fine?

15 minutes ago, SubLimation7 said:

Anyone have a recommendation on PSU with PROVEN reliability

Amazing PSUs, I have the 650 watt Prime titanium. Love it!

https://seasonic.com/product-category/consumer-products/prime-series/

https://seasonic.com/product-category/consumer-products/prime-ultra-series/

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

Just now, nicefox1 said:

cool, thanks

weird brand name tho

image.png.4e481877079e9b7c39fef2047923f329.png

A lot of electronics brands have really weird names. Just think about it. Powercolor, fractal design, be quiet, oneplus, etc.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, nicefox1 said:

cool, thanks

weird brand name tho

image.png.4e481877079e9b7c39fef2047923f329.png

Like... yeah... but the air FLOW...  :D It flows really well, that fan is a great FLOWer.

EDIT:
Electricity FLOWs as well ...neh?

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

A lot of electronics brands have really weird names. Just think about it. Powercolor, fractal design, be quiet, oneplus, etc.

Hey, guys! I found the PSU rookie! Let's taunt him! 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

My 850W P2 has never even spun up it's fans, been rock solid little PSU. Have a few 650 G2 units too and similarly with them PSUs have been excellent.

Maybe just a bad unit, it can happen of course, nobody is flawless. RMA, after all it has a 7-10 year warranty depending on locale. At least it didn't pop a capacitor or something even worse and take some parts with it. I think you've been unlucky, certainly more than average fail rates, especially for such quality PSUs... have the fans been spinning? what kind of load were you putting through at the time and ambient temp?

Mine definitely don't spin as it's never hot enough or has enough load going through, was only a little more expensive and as I prefer quiet as possible was a no-brainer... plus 7 years is a long time where my PC will change a fair bit, so better to have more wattage than needed than to have to buy another.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

12 minutes ago, nicefox1 said:

cool, thanks

weird brand name tho

Superflower

It's actually Super "Flow" er, like Blower style cooler or lawn mower.