How To Increase Windows Start-Up Speed (system Based)

Hey Everyone This Is Some Simple Steps To Increase Start-Up Speed For Windows 7 And 8

​ Disclaimer** This Is System Based Speed Boost's Meaning it depends on your system spec, the higher the better usually, the best increases are seen from reducing the amount of

start-up programs and the amount of CPU cores Your have hyperthreads included

open up RUN i use the keyboard shortcut (Windows Key + R) and type (msconfig) without brackets this should open up a window called system config

first click on the boot tab

Then Advanced options

now you want to tick the box for number of processors and click the drop down box and select the highest number available i.e a dual core cpu should have the number 2 or if it has hyperthreading like an intel core i3 it will have the number 4 available then hit the OK button

now still on the boot tab you want to tick the box for no GUI boot this will reduce the amount of animations that are displayed on screen to improve start-up time

you can also reduce the number in the timeout section but this wont be something you want to change if you enter the bios a lot as this decreases the time the splash screen is displayed for you to enter the bios. ( i use 5 seconds timeout instead of the default 30 seconds).

next open the start-up tab and search the programs in this section with google followed by start-up and check weather it is safe to disable but simple ones like the ones when you buy a new laptop and the bloat-ware opens every-time you restart are almost always safe

some safe ones to disable:

utorrent

google chrome

java update Scheduler

sony pc companion

i use this list to know which to disable.

[url=http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php]http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php[/url=http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php]

CPU: i7 3770k 4.5ghz M/Board: Sabertooth Z77 GPU: Asus Gtx 560 Direct CUii OC RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Veangance PSU: Corsair CX600 Cooler: Custome Water Loop With Gentle typhoon 1850rpm fan, Single 120mm Rad, XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

Thanks a lot for this, I didn't know I could change those settings. My laptop boots up much faster now! I couldn't shave much time off my PC boot time though, must have saved about two seconds! XD

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

yeah laptops are a bitch, i got an ssd and used it as my boot drive then changed these settings and now i am at my desktop in around 10 seconds from pressing the button, great wee tip for those impatient people like me.

CPU: i7 3770k 4.5ghz M/Board: Sabertooth Z77 GPU: Asus Gtx 560 Direct CUii OC RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Veangance PSU: Corsair CX600 Cooler: Custome Water Loop With Gentle typhoon 1850rpm fan, Single 120mm Rad, XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

Wow...great tips...improved here by about two seconds on my desktop. Thank you again!

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

Wow...great tips...improved here by about two seconds on my desktop. Thank you again!

good to hear it.

open up RUN i use the keyboard shortcut (Windows Key + R) and type (msconfig) without brackets this should open up a window called system config

first click on the boot tab

Then Advanced options

now you want to tick the box for number of processors and click the drop down box and select the highest number available i.e a dual core cpu should have the number 2 or if it has hyperthreading like an intel core i3 it will have the number 4 available then hit the OK button

Myth. I have already measured this a very long time ago. And there is no speed improvements on this. This was confirmed. They are many forum posts that ddi teh same and ended up with the same conclusions. And people who does sees a speed improvement, it's just a coincidence that it occurred when Windows execute on teh previous boot an optimization cycle for faster boot up on the next one. Reverting the changes, keep the same results.

now still on the boot tab you want to tick the box for no GUI boot this will reduce the amount of animations that are displayed on screen to improve start-up time

Unless you are on a slow 5400RPM HDD, or heavily fragmented HDD, you won't see a speed improvement.

you can also reduce the number in the timeout section but this wont be something you want to change if you enter the bios a lot as this decreases the time the splash screen is displayed for you to enter the bios. ( i use 5 seconds timeout instead of the default 30 seconds).

This is BIOS specific. If you have a properly functioning computer, with new hardware this won't affect you. Also, this doesn't affect or concerns UEFI BIOS's

next open the start-up tab and search the programs in this section with google followed by start-up and check weather it is safe to disable but simple ones like the ones when you buy a new laptop and the bloat-ware opens every-time you restart are almost always safe

This is true. You should have:

-> A/V

-> Mouse/keyboard/touchpad software/driver

-> Laptop on screen notification (if you want it. But in some cases it makes works the special keys on the laptop, especially on a non-business class systems)

You can boost further the speed of Windows starting up by using a A/V that doesn't virus scan when Windows boot. Microsoft Security Essential (or the built-in Windows Defender (aka: Security Essential, renamed in Windows 8), doesn't do this, which greatly boost your system startup.

Boost further your startup speed of Windows for HDDs:

You can boost the startup of WIndows even more by doing a deep defrag and re-organization of your files on the HDD, so that all files related to Windows startup is one after another for the HDD, reducing access time, which amounts to several seconds saved at the end.

To do this, you need O&O Defrag

O&O Defrag can be found here: [url=http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/]http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/[/url=http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/]

Get the 64-bit version if you have Windows 7 64-bit, of course.

The software is not free, but the trial version is all you need. This is not something you do often... maybe just once per Windows re-install.

This software recommend that you disable System Restore point completely (System Properties > Advance System Setting (on the left column). A panel will open. On it, go under the System Protection tab, and click on every drive or the drive you will defrag, and click on Configure. Now click on the panel will appear: Turn off system protection, and click on the Delete button. Doing so will delete any restore points, so you won't be able to go back in time or view back in time a file, folder, drive or system.

The reason for this is that all non-Windows defrag tools, can't know what bits on the HDD is old deleted data or restore point data... so when managing the defrag, it will break the restore points in any case. Once done, Restart your computer.

Once installed, and started:

1- Select the System drive, and on the ribbon bar, click on Zone Filling.

2- Check the box Continue with Zone Filling

3- Click on the Next button, and don't touch anything, and click on the OK button

4- Click on the Analyse button, once done, continue

5- Now, click on the bottom arrow of the Start button, and select Optimize

This process will take easily several hours... Set your computer to not automatically sleep after a period of time. Make sure it's set. And now you may want to leave the computer over night.

Once done, restart the computer.

Now, re-enable System Protection. On a laptop, if you seek only speed, especially on Windows update and software installation, you can leave it off, but remember the downsides of having it turned off.

For SSD and HDD's:

Make sure that your SATA Controller is set to AHCI mode. AHCI mode gives you:

-> Max SATA Speed (most controllers already give you its max speed, but some, really emulates IDE when AHCI is not enabled, and give you IDE speeds)

-> Support Native Command Queue, this for HDD mostly. It how it fetch data:

This chart shows how much of a big difference it can give:

ncq-diagram.gif

-> eSATA Support with Hot Swappable feature.

-> TRIM support. Normally you don't need AHCI to have TRIM, however, it was found that for some controllers that if AHCI is not set, it does no longer support TRIM. This is needed for SSDs (TRIM is for windows 7 and 8).

If your system doesn't have AHCI mode enabled in the BIOS, and you enable it, Windows will 'cause a BSOD at startup. Here is how to tell Windows in advance, that you'll switch the controller mode, and make Windows load the SATA drivers and not expect IDE HDD/SSD

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Once done, in Windows, install the latest SATA controller drivers.

open up RUN i use the keyboard shortcut (Windows Key + R) and type (msconfig) without brackets this should open up a window called system config first click on the boot tab Then Advanced options now you want to tick the box for number of processors and click the drop down box and select the highest number available i.e a dual core cpu should have the number 2 or if it has hyperthreading like an intel core i3 it will have the number 4 available then hit the OK button
Myth. I have already measured this a very long time ago. And there is no speed improvements on this. This was confirmed. They are many forum posts that ddi teh same and ended up with the same conclusions. And people who does sees a speed improvement' date=' it's just a coincidence that it occurred when Windows execute on teh previous boot an optimization cycle for faster boot up on the next one. Reverting the changes, keep the same results.
Unless you are on a slow 5400RPM HDD, or heavily fragmented HDD, you won't see a speed improvement.
This is BIOS specific. If you have a properly functioning computer, with new hardware this won't affect you. Also, this doesn't affect or concerns UEFI BIOS's
This is true. You should have: -> A/V -> Mouse/keyboard/touchpad software/driver -> Laptop on screen notification (if you want it. But in some cases it makes works the special keys on the laptop, especially on a non-business class systems) You can boost further the speed of Windows starting up by using a A/V that doesn't virus scan when Windows boot. Microsoft Security Essential (or the built-in Windows Defender (aka: Security Essential, renamed in Windows 8), doesn't do this, which greatly boost your system startup. Boost further your startup speed of Windows for HDDs: You can boost the startup of WIndows even more by doing a deep defrag and re-organization of your files on the HDD, so that all files related to Windows startup is one after another for the HDD, reducing access time, which amounts to several seconds saved at the end. To do this, you need O&O Defrag O&O Defrag can be found here: [url=http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/]http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/[/url=http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/] Get the 64-bit version if you have Windows 7 64-bit, of course. The software is not free, but the trial version is all you need. This is not something you do often... maybe just once per Windows re-install. This software recommend that you disable System Restore point completely (System Properties > Advance System Setting (on the left column). A panel will open. On it, go under the System Protection tab, and click on every drive or the drive you will defrag, and click on Configure. Now click on the panel will appear: Turn off system protection, and click on the Delete button. Doing so will delete any restore points, so you won't be able to go back in time or view back in time a file, folder, drive or system. The reason for this is that all non-Windows defrag tools, can't know what bits on the HDD is old deleted data or restore point data... so when managing the defrag, it will break the restore points in any case. Once done, Restart your computer. Once installed, and started: 1- Select the System drive, and on the ribbon bar, click on Zone Filling. 2- Check the box Continue with Zone Filling 3- Click on the Next button, and don't touch anything, and click on the OK button 4- Click on the Analyse button, once done, continue 5- Now, click on the bottom arrow of the Start button, and select Optimize This process will take easily several hours... Set your computer to not automatically sleep after a period of time. Make sure it's set. And now you may want to leave the computer over night. Once done, restart the computer. Now, re-enable System Protection. On a laptop, if you seek only speed, especially on Windows update and software installation, you can leave it off, but remember the downsides of having it turned off. For SSD and HDD's: Make sure that your SATA Controller is set to AHCI mode. AHCI mode gives you: -> Max SATA Speed (most controllers already give you its max speed, but some, really emulates IDE when AHCI is not enabled, and give you IDE speeds) -> Support Native Command Queue, this for HDD mostly. It how it fetch data: This chart shows how much of a big difference it can give: ncq-diagram.gif -> eSATA Support with Hot Swappable feature. -> TRIM support. Normally you don't need AHCI to have TRIM, however, it was found that for some controllers that if AHCI is not set, it does no longer support TRIM. This is needed for SSDs (TRIM is for windows 7 and 8). If your system doesn't have AHCI mode enabled in the BIOS, and you enable it, Windows will 'cause a BSOD at startup. Here is how to tell Windows in advance, that you'll switch the controller mode, and make Windows load the SATA drivers and not expect IDE HDD/SSD http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 Once done, in Windows, install the latest SATA controller drivers.

the fact that you stated it does nothing to the uefi bios is completely wrong i have mine at 5 seconds and it changes how long the screen is displayed for you to press the del button to enter the bios, as i stated at the start it is hardware specific yes better hardware will get a better start-up speed from it but not all, as the fact of defraging if people dont know how or what defraging is then i don't know how its the first thing that comes up when you Google search for speeding up your system. the fact you see no start-up improvement depends i have a i7 3770k which shows as 8 cores in the tab due to hyper-threading and i see a 3 sec increase in start-up time between 1 core and 8 cores this as i stated depepends on your spec a dual core wont notice a difference but a quad might

I agree with the OP I have a UEFI bios and it definitely decreases the amount of time the little picture thing is displayed for. The GUI thing also works, as I don't have to watch the windows logo for ages when booting now, instead it shows a dotted line for a small amount of time so it boots quit a bit faster, and I'm using a sata 3 SSD..

I must say, Shaved 6 seconds off my boot time, from 22 Seconds to 16 seconds, now to try and get my windows index score to 7.8 - 7.9 on my index score

Desktop- core-i7 3930k, ASUS Rampage IV Formula, Sapphire 7950 OC Edition V2 (Crossfire), HAF-X, Custom loop, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws-Z F3, OCZ Vertex4 128GB, WD Black 2TB (Two), WD Green 1TB, WD VelociRaptor 1TB.

Laptop General- ASUS G75VW | Laptop paperweight- Dell XPS | Laptop Work- ASUS X54C | Laptop Coding- Toshiba Satellite C850

I have a question regarding AHCI vs RAID.

My system currently is set to RAID 0 with 2x ssd and 3x hdd in 2 sets.

Does raid support this or will all drives witch are set to raid in the bios be treated as IDE?

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

Does raid support this or will all drives witch are set to raid in the bios be treated as IDE?

honestly i do not know anything about raid other than raid 0 is fast but has the highest chance of possibly loosing data on all the drives at any time, i may be wrong personally i don't use raid nor know much about it sorry.

i have a 24/7 backup running on all my data so i dont care if a drive crashes xD i can take it all back either from my network drive or from my external drive ;)

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

nice :)

not that hard to implement when my pc is on it backs up everything that gets changed or put into one of the folders i want backed-up.

But no one knows if onboard raid suypports AHCI or if it adresses the drive as an IDE or is this all irrelevent in a raid setup :P

Appelzaadje - the Insane

• 8 months later...

Very nice tips and this did inprove my start up time ALOT!!!

:D

Intel i7 950 @ 3.07 runing @ 4.01 / Gigabyte X58A UD3R Rev 2 / Corsair 12GB DDR3 Memory / Evga GTX 580 SC / Coolermaster CM 690 II (ver.2) / WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 3.5" BLACK 64MB SATA3 / Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W

Samsung Syncmaster S27B370 / Noctua NH-U12P (Push/Pull Config) / MS Digital media Keyboard 3000 / Logitech G5 / Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium

• 2 weeks later...

Very Simple, buy 2 Samsung 240GB 840 Pro SSD's. Create a RAID 0 array and install Win 8.1 Pro. I guarantee  that you have a super fast bootup speed. ;) A 4th generation i7 unlock CPU with 16GB RAM definatly will not slow you down. Should be in the OS 3 to 6 seconds from a cold boot.

Michael Summers

CaseObsidian 900D  MOBORampage IV Extreme CPU:  i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 3.6GHz  RAM:: Vengeance Pro 32GB  Boot : RAID 0  840 Pro  512GB  Data:  RAID 10 WD Red  2TB PS: Corsair : AX1200 GPU:  ASUS  GTX-780 Ti

Birthday Gift from my wife - She made me order it and built it :-)

• 1 month later...

i have a 12 second boot time from cold an i have i7 3770k and 8gb ram with a single 128gb samsung 830 SSD, ahh also windows 8.1 pro

i have a 12 second boot time from cold an i have i7 3770k and 8gb ram with a single 128gb samsung 830 SSD, ahh also windows 8.1 pro

Your boot-up time should be lots faster than that. It take about 3 seconds to boot though the bios, and almost instantly you will see the window logo about 2 seconds later you will have full access to the log in system. Of course I have fast boot on in the bios

Michael Summers

CaseObsidian 900D  MOBORampage IV Extreme CPU:  i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 3.6GHz  RAM:: Vengeance Pro 32GB  Boot : RAID 0  840 Pro  512GB  Data:  RAID 10 WD Red  2TB PS: Corsair : AX1200 GPU:  ASUS  GTX-780 Ti

Birthday Gift from my wife - She made me order it and built it :-)

Xubuntu master race!!! And SSD in a netbook master race...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

• 2 months later...

Seems to have increased my boot time as well.  No complaints on this tip.  Thanks for OP.

CPU = Intel i7 4770K OC @ 4.1GHz | CPU Cooler = Corsair H105 | MOBO = Asus Z97 Maximus Gene VII | GPU = Asus STRIX 4GB GTX 980 | RAM = 32GB G. Skill Trident X Series @ 2400MHz | PSU = EVGA Supernova 850W 80+ Gold | SSD 1 = 120GB Corsair Neutron (OS) | SSD 2 = 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 (Games) | HDD = 1TB WD Green 7200RPM 64MB Cache (Storage)| OS = Win 8.1 64Bit | Case = Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout Edition w/ Window | KB = RAZER Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 Stealth | MS = Mionix NAOS 7000 | Monitor = 24" BenQ XL2420TE @ 144Hz | 2nd Monitor = 27" Asus VS278Q-P @ 60Hz 
CPU = Intel i7-2700K OC @ 4.5GHz | CPU Cooler = Corsair H100i | MOBO = Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU = EVGA 3GB 780Ti Superclocked w/ ACX Cooler | RAM = 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz | PSU = EVGA Supernova 1,300W 80+ Gold | SSD 1 = 128GB Samsung 840 Pro Series (OS) | SSD 2 = 120GB Kingston HyperX (Games) | HDD = 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 64MB Cache (Storage) | OS = Win 8.1 64Bit | Case = Fractal Design Define XL R2 | KB = ROCCAT ISKU | MS = ROCCAT Kone XTD Optical | Monitor = 24" Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz | 2nd Monitor = 27" Acer G276HLDbmid @ 60Hz       

I disabled like 18/20 of the "Auto start-up on boot" programs from day one.

It's like a standard procedure, isn't it?

any others? (ways)

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB